Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inbreeding -what is too close or distant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inbreeding -what is too close or distant?

Our DNA matches are our cousins,but are they first cousins or 31st cousins?

Not that I intend to marry them ,but I want to know how are they? And how close is too close and how distant is too distant?

Are histocompatible people good mate choices since their immune systems agree with yours?

Or blatently ,where are your DNA compatible mates at ? And how close /or distant are they from you genetically?

Some of your question does not make sense. Why would anyone desire interbreeding?

Without a complicated overview the fact is that interbreeding will decrease the ability to add "cleaner" genes to the descendants pool because each generation is given a better chance to "clean" out the defects if only one parent's genes have the defect. X chromosome defects are even harder to clean out.

Some states allow 1st cousins to marry and others do not. All states allow 2nd cousins and beyond to marry.

FTDNA FF test results are based upon DNA segments matching so the more segments that match the closer the probable relation between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
      Some of your question does not make sense. Why would anyone desire interbreeding?
      I believe I can hear the twang of banjos ...

Comment

Inbreeding magnifies genetic errors and increases the odds of defect in the offspring. Admittedly it also magnifies other traits as well, some of which might be desirable. This fact is clear.

Ancient Egyptian royal families practiced inbreeding as well as the majority of the royal families of Europe. Both groups were/are notoriously plagued by genetic defects. Thankfully the trend among European royalty is now to marry "commoners" instead. I don't know of very many positive traits that came from "royals."

Purebred animals such as dogs, cats, horses etc., have many distinct traits however they are notoriously prone to genetic defect.

Frankly, I'm happy to be a muttimus magnus.

Comment

There were many 1st cousin marriages in the early colonies of America. With such a low population, families only trusted those who they knew. If one is daring enough to leave those "one name" researches and follow the wives, you'll find the same parents on many lines and repeated in family charts.

Kiss'n cousins was the term.

Comment

Working...
          X