Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Half Brother & Sister - Which Tests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Half Brother & Sister - Which Tests?

Hi,

My mother was born out of wedlock in the 1930s. My grandmother and my biological grandfather never married.

The man believed to be her father later did marry. He and his new wife had one son.

Both my grandmother and my alleged grandfather are now deceased. The son from the second relationship is still living. Put another way, my mother's alleged half-brother is still living.

What test(s) should I get for my mother and her probable half-brother that would establish they are siblings?

Thanks,
    -T

A siblingship test like this one from DNA Findings:

http://www.dnafindings.com/p-15-siblingship.aspx

http://www.dnafindings.com/

Matt.

Comment

$875?!

23andme Relative Finder can identify siblings and parent/child and so on. Sometimes it goes on sale. It was $99 for a one day sale on DNA Day (April 23). Right now I think it is about $400. To test two people would be $800. Maybe FTDNA's family finder is less expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow View Post
        $875?!

23andme Relative Finder can identify siblings and parent/child and so on. Sometimes it goes on sale. It was $99 for a one day sale on DNA Day (April 23). Right now I think it is about $400. To test two people would be $800. Maybe FTDNA's family finder is less expensive.
        That's what I was thinking too. If both people took the Relative Finder test, shouldn't that do the same thing?
        -T

Comment

As rainbow was saying, 23andme seems the way to go. And if you're going to spend the money, I would suggest you do the complete edition for $100 more. This way, you'd also
          have all your health information, which can always be useful.

cacio

Comment

Originally posted by cacio View Post
            As rainbow was saying, 23andme seems the way to go. And if you're going to spend the money, I would suggest you do the complete edition for $100 more. This way, you'd also
            have all your health information, which can always be useful.

cacio
            Ah, ok. Didn't understand what 23andme meant. Where is it described? I can't find it on the FtDNA site so far.
            -T

Comment

Originally posted by gamename View Post
              That's what I was thinking too. If both people took the Relative Finder test, shouldn't that do the same thing?
              -T
              If I were in your shoes I'd go for 23andme's
              Relative Finder. That way you can not only establish half-siblingship but also find relatives to fill in your family tree, if you are interested in that. I don't have anything closer than fourth cousin matches. Two of my matches are father and daughter (they already knew they were) and 23andme predicted they were parent/child.

The $875 siblingship test website says it is accredited (except in New York) for legal purposes, so try that one if you are descended from a mega-wealthy non-New Yorker and want to establish legal inheritance rights. But remember that even Leona Helmsley left nothing to her kids/grandkids and left everything to her cat.

Comment

Here is the website: www.23andme.com

I didn't know that ftdna's siblingship test was so exorbitant. I used to recommend that test on the forum. And I used to be anti-23andme.

Comment

As rainbow was saying, we were talking about a different company, 23andme.

It seems that the Family Finder test advertised on the FTDNA webpage could be something similar to the Relative Finder test of 23andme - but who knows, the test doesn't exist yet and they don't explain what it is exactly. They say it can go back 4 generations, and I don't know if there's a reasonable way to do so other than using an extensive chip like 23andme.

cacio

Comment

How long are they going to be in business?
                    Don't they have a website so you can go sell there.
                    I'll stay with FTDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
                      How long are they going to be in business?
                      Don't they have a website so you can go sell there.
                      I'll stay with FTDNA.
                      I agree. I think I'll stick to FtDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                        A siblingship test like this one from DNA Findings:

Note I worded my answer with like...

I have taken a siblingship test and the results look like this:
                        Statement of Results: Based upon the statistical analysis of the above data, it is 133.02 times more likely (or a 99.25382808599% chance) that Tested Sibling 1 (Matthew) and Tested Sibling 2 (Debra) are half biological siblings versus being full biological siblings.

Siblingship test results provide a probability of siblingship in a signed statement from a lab director (a Dr.). FF results provide a list of DNA segments which match between two people and from there interpreting them is up to you and supporting family tree documentation. What are the end results needed and in what format is the question.

One siblingship test is cheaper than two FF tests I guarantee it - but since this is a FTDNA forum my answer remains.. "like the DNA Finders siblingship test."
                        Last edited by mkdexter; 30 April 2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cacio View Post
                          As rainbow was saying, we were talking about a different company, 23andme.

It seems that the Family Finder test advertised on the FTDNA webpage could be something similar to the Relative Finder test of 23andme - but who knows, the test doesn't exist yet and they don't explain what it is exactly. They say it can go back 4 generations, and I don't know if there's a reasonable way to do so other than using an extensive chip like 23andme.

cacio
                          FTDNA Family Finder exists and is being used in beta testing. I have taken both FF and a siblingship test. FF is SNP based looking for matching DNA segments. Siblingship is STR high res based and generates a probability of relationship report not available with FF.

This is probably a point where FTDNA's admin should be chiming in.

Comment

Matt,

That's basically correct. The Family Finder test can suggest a relationship within the past 5 generations but it cannot tell specifically how two people are related, it uses SNPs. It can suggest for example that based on the number of matching blocks that the two would be parent child, or first cousins and so on. This will show you names and email address of other Family Finder test takers that you match up.

The DNA Findings test is looking to confirm a specific relationship using STRs. For example I believe that female one and female two share the same biological father, or that male A is the father of male B, and so on. As this is a siblingship or paternity type test that is accredited through AABB this can be used for legal purposes. As this is a specific comparison, and results are not compared against a database you will only receive a report regarding the relationship in question.

-Darren Marin
                            Family Tree DNA

Comment

Thanks for the explanation on FF. The question is then how many SNPs are tested - half a million? Or less, but more carefully chosen?

I don't know what the legal requirements are, but it seems to me that a FF type of test will have a smaller margin of error. My probability theory is quite weak, but with enough SNPs, one can probably get tighter estimates.

cacio

Comment

Working...
                              X