Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have recieved my 24 match... now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have recieved my 24 match... now what?

I have taken the Ydna 37 marker test. I'm very new to this information. I have little generational knowledge of my family to testify about. A few things that puzzle me about the information. Under ancestral Origins does a <1.0% means that you are related to that match? what about the other numbers? Such as 0.4%? My exact haplogroup is R1b1b2. About an hour ago it said I was a Q(some number) This is when I recieved my 24 Marker test and it would appear that it switched back to R1b1b2... Is there a way to change marker under the haplotree? My DYS value does not make any sense to me. It may be displayed for more deeper scientific purposes, but can I use this in any way to help understand my ancestors? Also, Under my haplotree under "my Matches" it would appear that I have no knowledge on how to use this database of information and how it represents me.

Thank you for your time

Move your information to Y-search, then look for a match.
    If you have a match FTDNA will notify you.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix586 View Post
      Under ancestral Origins does a <1.0% means that you are related to that match? what about the other numbers?
      If 100 people listed their ancestor origin is from Ireland and you happen to match (for an example) just one of those people by your yDNA then you would see a percentage listed as 1% Ireland. It doesn't mean you match 1% of the people who live in Ireland. It means (in my example) you match 1% of the people who SAY they are from Ireland... You also have a Ancestoral Origins listing in your user preferences that you can fill out too.

To know your ancestry to really have to compare to all your matches in the "matches" page and compare to your haplogroup.

Comment

My exact haplogroup is R1b1b2. About an hour ago it said I was a Q(some number) This is when I recieved my 24 Marker test and it would appear that it switched back to R1b1b2... Is there a way to change marker under the haplotree?
        Your haplogroup is an indication that tells you where, hundreds of years ago, your male ancestor lineage possibly lived. Actually R1b1b2 is not your exact haplogroup, it is your predicted haplogroup. To further refine it you would need to upgrade to a deepclad SNP test.

Comment

My DYS value does not make any sense to me. It may be displayed for more deeper scientific purposes, but can I use this in any way to help understand my ancestors?
          the DYS value page is useful if you want to manually import all of your DYS numbers into other company search pages in order to look for matches from people who did not test with FTDNA. They are also your own unique test results and using them to compare to others is how FTDNA can find people to match closely to you.

Comment

Also, Under my haplotree under "my Matches" it would appear that I have no knowledge on how to use this database of information and how it represents me.

Thank you for your time
            If you are new to this then you might want to just use the "matches" page to see who the other men are that are matching to your yDNA as they will be listed by marker panels, the more markers the better, and by the first one in the list being the closest.

This page you are talking about is used to geographically show you where your other matches originated from or where they are located today but sometimes it is hard to use I agree.

Comment

I have taken the Ydna 37 marker test. I'm very new to this information. I have little generational knowledge of my family to testify about.

Thank you for your time
              If you havnt already, you should join a project for your surname. to see if you match others with the same surname. The Surname project admin might be able to give more information on your particular lineage.

Comment

Working...
              X