Native American Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native American Ancestry

I get a lot of questions about DNA testing from people who want to know or confirm that they have Indian ancestors. Relying heavily on some excellent work by Roberta Estes, I created the following web page to summarize the DNA testing alterntives.

NOTE: I mistakenly posted this under Success Stories and then could not delete it. I have no particular success story to report in this area, so I apologize for putting in the wrong place.

Richard

I still consider this a success since you've made it clear to the public how and what is DNA testing. Its hard
    to explain to people how this works and what its main purpose. Good thing you have already have a website
    for this, instead of tedious explanations, I could just lead people to your website.

Comment

That's a good resource. I have one question though, is FTDNA really designing an admixture report for the Family Finder product? If true, that would be really interesting and would make the test even more competitive with 23 and Me.

Comment

I found the following statement in the general FAQ section at FTDNA:

We are currently in the process of developing a percentage of ancestry test or admixture mapping, and should have it available by summer 2010.

They don't mention Family Finder specifically, but it would make sense that Family Finder is the only test they have with enough data to do this.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by RichardH View Post
          I found the following statement in the general FAQ section at FTDNA:

We are currently in the process of developing a percentage of ancestry test or admixture mapping, and should have it available by summer 2010.

They don't mention Family Finder specifically, but it would make sense that Family Finder is the only test they have with enough data to do this.

Richard
          Hopefully, it will be Family Finder. Thanks!

Comment

native American

Thank you for that link to Roberta's white paper. I am always disappointed in all companies explanations of their testing and full disclosure/percentage's of their Databanks. Also the common use of Native American, which means United States Indian Data. I have North American/Arctic Aboriginal Ancestry.
            Roberta confirmed what I suspected; my Autosomal Test would come back Asian/East Asian, not Native American. This leads me to a similar question posted here as well. I don't need the Family locator, I want the Autosomal test. How refined is it currently? Is the emphasis's more on the Familyfinder, sounds like it. And what ever that really means, given the PBS and NBC genealogy TV series. I emailed FTDNA re: their databank for the Arctic,"too small to say. But he was referring to familyfinder search not the DNA. Back to another email to them. I'm not spending another $300 untill I am clear on this. Any help from the forum greatly appreciated. I am Newfoundland/Labrador Aboriginal Ancestry and have my genealogy done. No Aboriginal/Admixture paper trail. Family story & photos from 2 brothers families. Its on my mother's father side, no direct males to test. Thanks B

Comment

native ancestry

Because of a paper genealogy block in tracing my maternal line, I did the mtdna FGS test. It revealed, unknown to my family, a maternal native line. I can trace to other lines to a native ancestor.

My haplotype is X2a2 and at the same time three other women tested with the same haplotype (2 of whom match exactly on FGS). We all go back to ancestors in western Newfoundland and Nova Scotia in both maternal and other family lines.

Recently I submitted my sample for the Family Finder test and hope my mtdna matches will also do the test as I haven't found a common link to those two women yet. We all have ancestors in common but nothing to connect our maternal line. This test maybe could close in on a timeline for our connection with each other.

May I ask if you or your ancestors are from the west coast of Newfoundland?

Kathleen

Comment

Originally posted by CWF View Post
                Hopefully, it will be Family Finder. Thanks!
                On another post of this forum we have confirmation from FTDNA that the FAQ answer (admixture mapping, % of ancestry) refers to the Family Finder product.

Comment

Native American Ancestry

Hi Kathleen, My ancestors in NF were everywhere, mostly in the Trinity Bay area originally. but some were in NS including Westcott's. Some moved on to Ontario, Montreal & Massachusetts. I have photos as well. My Aboriginal ancestor comes from the Morris branch down through to the Framptons. Probably Mi'kmaq. This is my mother's father's side. I can only assume the aboriginal source is most probably a women. I have all that genealogy except for "her". I won't be doing the Family finder test, since my mtdna comes from another direction/country. The autosomal stand alone test still is not refined enough for me. I am excited for you, what names have you connected w/ the other women? I would love to share the genealogy, especially since they all had so many children/marriages back then. Barbara

Comment

native ancestry

Hi Barbara, most of my ancestors originated in France & moved to Nova Scotia (Acadia) & NF. Some of their descendants married & moved to western NF. Three of my ancestors married native women one of whom is my maternal native ancestor - haplogroup X2a2. You're right - the aboriginal source is primarily the native women from the 16th-17th century. Hopefully Family Finder will help me find some clues to my maternal line - my paper work stops at mid 18th century. Because of the small communities a number of my ancestors intermarried with 1st & 2nd cousins so I'm related in a number of cases to both sides. Gets confusing at times.

My ancestor surnames are Leblanc, Dubourdieu, Bourdoulou, Lejeune, Gaudet, Benoit, Marche, Hynes. My sister is married to a Morris - not sure of his ancestry but I believe they came from east coast of NF south of Trinity Bay.
                    Good luck in your search - any questions, please ask.

Comment

Native Ancestry NF

I have seen the Gaudet name and variation's of it, Gadeu & and possibly Geodol. Benoit is a name in the NF Aboriginal communities. Have you used Newfoundland Grandbanks web site = chebucto.org. Also donna-bugden.ca
                      These sites may be handy in the future when you get your familyfinder results. You have my email address, I am interested in your results. I live in the states, not much help at the moment, but I do have some NF connections

Comment

native ancestry

Yes my documented native line comes from Benoit on both my mother's and father's side by descending from different branches from a common female. My mother's maternal line appears to descend from a different line. Hopefully FF test will help me out. They tell me I should have results by next week. There's not much I haven't accessed in my search. I'll keep in touch.

Comment

Working...
                        X