Genetic genealogy software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetic genealogy software

Having read a book from the library, an old one unfortunately, I see there were/are various genetic genealogy software programs around to help with one's data analyses.

I followed up on the book's hyperlinks but they were largely redundant or in a couple of cases extremely complicated to get and presumably to use.

I also did internet searches but found that I didn't know enough yet to decide on what was most useful and most user-friendly.

I would like to ask those who have experience with this side of things for their recommendations and advice on what to get, how to get it and how best to use it.

Thanks in advance for your help, Roy.

Here is a link to a thread in this forum dedicated to family tree software:

Comment

Not the right flavour?

Thanks GTC, but the link seems geared to traditional family tree programs. I could see nothing about analysing or manipulating genetic data which is what's baffling me mostly.

I hope others might have some advice for me.

Best wishes, Roy.

Comment

If you want to compare two or more results for different men to get an estimate of when they may have shared a common ancestor, the McGee Y-DNA Utility is very useful. You can find that at http://www.mymcgee.com/tools/yutility.html

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
          If you want to compare two or more results for different men to get an estimate of when they may have shared a common ancestor, the McGee Y-DNA Utility is very useful. You can find that at http://www.mymcgee.com/tools/yutility.html
          The McGee Utility is not accurate.I checked my haplotype with the M222 modal and it should read 9000 TMRCA not 3000 at 67 markers. M269 is the common ancestor for us, unless my SNP test is wrong.I checked a couple of L21 haplotypes with the M222 and they are further away than I am!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
            The McGee Utility is not accurate.I checked my haplotype with the M222 modal and it should read 9000 TMRCA not 3000 at 67 markers. M269 is the common ancestor for us, unless my SNP test is wrong.I checked a couple of L21 haplotypes with the M222 and they are further away than I am!!
            The McGee utility is meant to be used for estimating TMRCA for individuals. It's as accurate in its estimates as any such calculator can be.

It's not meant to estimate TMRCA for a person with a haplogroup modal. A haplogroup modal is an artificial set of marker results which is calculated by averaging out the results of hundreds or more men in the haplogroup.

Also, I'd like to know why you think the age of M222 is 9,000 years. Most knowledgeable genetic genealogists believe it's probably only 2,000 years old, give or take a few hundred years.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
              The McGee utility is meant to be used for estimating TMRCA for individuals. It's as accurate in its estimates as any such calculator can be.

It's not meant to estimate TMRCA for a person with a haplogroup modal. A haplogroup modal is an artificial set of marker results which is calculated by averaging out the results of hundreds or more men in the haplogroup.

Also, I'd like to know why you think the age of M222 is 9,000 years. Most knowledgeable genetic genealogists believe it's probably only 2,000 years old, give or take a few hundred years.
              You picked me up wrong the common ancestor I have with M222 is M269.You are right I dont have to use the modal,I can just pick some guy who is in that group and it will be the same.3000 odd years and thats not possible.Furthermore,the people of the Northwest of my country who are all descended from a common ancestor named Niall of the Nine Hostages have a gd of 4 and 5 from that modal.Im talking about people with names associated with his clan.In my opinion this Niall had the M222 snp but that doesnt mean the mutation happened with him.
              If the modals are an artificial set of markers why are some people putting so much faith in them?What use are they?

Comment

It's all my fault.

Thanks MMaddi & 1798 for your input. I'll bookmark the McGee link and use it with 1798 in mind too.

Look forward to more advice, Roy.

Comment

Recording Genetic Info

There is one genealogy software that I am aware of that allows you to record your genetic information and attach it to your tree - this is Roots Magic (I think 4 is the latest edition). I have bought this a while back but haven't got round to trying to use this facility so I cannot really comment on how well it works.

The other place I can recall, is ancestry.com - you can attach your genetic markers to you on your tree - but the trouble is, it seems that your patrilineal or matrilineal line are also assumed to have your same identical markers.

Hope that helps.

R

Comment

Working...
                  X