mtDNA H, but zero matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA H, but zero matches

How common is it for someone get zero matches for mtDNA H?

Do you mean HVR1 or FGS? Having no FGS matches is the norm, very few people have FGS matches. I don't have statistics but I believe it is fairly common also for HVR1. H is a very big haplogroup with several subgroups. The situation may be more common if the origin is from places that have not been extensively sampled.

Having a particular mutation without matches could actually be useful. People with CRS have several thousands of matches, but that's of no help!

cacio

Comment

I am mtDNA H
      I have over 8128 HVR1 matches for H (with difference 16519C),
      I have 59 HVR2 matches for H (with differences 263G, 315.1C, 522-, 523-)
      and I do not have my FSG results back yet.

I never heard of 0 matches for H unless as mentioned you are referring to FSG.

Matt.

Comment

I handle a friend's kit.

Classified as H

HVR1 matches = 8,130
        HVR1 & HVR2 matches = 1,404
        FGS matches = ZERO

I think it is pretty common in the H group to have no mtDNA FGS matches because people get discouraged by the vast number of other matches, and don't often go for FGS testing.

So far, this would really be listed as H* but they don't have that designation on the pages any longer.

Hopefully this Zero factor will change some day, and maybe you'll be lucky.

Keep us posted on your results.

Comment

Originally posted by cacio View Post
          Do you mean HVR1 or FGS?

I mean HVR1 and HVR2. I did not test FGS, with no matches, it did not seem worthwhile.

Perhaps it is the 249C mutation?

Comment

No reason to upgrade as you need matches in order to compare against them. Even if you did have matches if they did not test FSG there would be nothing to compare your FSG to (if you ordered it). Save your $$

Comment

Originally posted by Lino View Post
              I mean HVR1 and HVR2. I did not test FGS, with no matches, it did not seem worthwhile.

Perhaps it is the 249C mutation?
              Very possible. One way to visualize this is to enter a query at http://smgf.org and allow one mismatch. If 249C is the limiting factor, it will pop right out at you as a column of mismatches.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                I am mtDNA H
                I have over 8128 HVR1 matches for H (with difference 16519C),
                I have 59 HVR2 matches for H (with differences 263G, 315.1C, 522-, 523-)
                and I do not have my FSG results back yet.

I never heard of 0 matches for H unless as mentioned you are referring to FSG.

Matt.
                We have the same mutations on our HVR2.

My HVR1 includes your mutation plus 3 others.

Comment

Working...
                X