Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DYS Label Color

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DYS Label Color

    On the FTDNA Y-Results chart a number of the DYS labels (for lack of a better word) are red rather than black.

    Can someone explain the significance of this to me? If there is a place where information such as this is given, I would appreciate a link to it. I looked though the FAQs for Y-results and if the information is there, I missed it.

  • #2
    In comparison to black markers, the red ones mutate faster. Some of the red ones are quite unstable and are often not taken into account when figuring genetic distance; for example, CDYa&b. Others, such as YCAIIa&b, are considered by some, depending on the haplogroup, to be important in determining relationships between haplotypes and may be used for subgrouping.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Vinnie!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by smfgen View Post
        On the FTDNA Y-Results chart a number of the DYS labels (for lack of a better word) are red rather than black.
        Can't say I've seen that. Are you referring to a printed certificate or a screen display?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gtc View Post
          Can't say I've seen that. Are you referring to a printed certificate or a screen display?
          They are talking about the way the DYS numbers are color coded along the top of the various Y project pages.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rucksack View Post
            They are talking about the way the DYS numbers are color coded along the top of the various Y project pages.
            Thanks. I hadn't taken any notice of that before. Interesting that the red/green color code is explained for haplogroup, but the red/black color code is not explained for DYS markers.

            Comment

            Working...
            X