DYS Label Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DYS Label Color

On the FTDNA Y-Results chart a number of the DYS labels (for lack of a better word) are red rather than black.

Can someone explain the significance of this to me? If there is a place where information such as this is given, I would appreciate a link to it. I looked though the FAQs for Y-results and if the information is there, I missed it.

In comparison to black markers, the red ones mutate faster. Some of the red ones are quite unstable and are often not taken into account when figuring genetic distance; for example, CDYa&b. Others, such as YCAIIa&b, are considered by some, depending on the haplogroup, to be important in determining relationships between haplotypes and may be used for subgrouping.

Comment

Thanks Vinnie!

Comment

Originally posted by smfgen View Post
        On the FTDNA Y-Results chart a number of the DYS labels (for lack of a better word) are red rather than black.
        Can't say I've seen that. Are you referring to a printed certificate or a screen display?

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
          Can't say I've seen that. Are you referring to a printed certificate or a screen display?
          They are talking about the way the DYS numbers are color coded along the top of the various Y project pages.

Comment

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
            They are talking about the way the DYS numbers are color coded along the top of the various Y project pages.
            Thanks. I hadn't taken any notice of that before. Interesting that the red/green color code is explained for haplogroup, but the red/black color code is not explained for DYS markers.

Comment

Working...
            X