"Blood of the Irish" available on DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Blood of the Irish" available on DVD

I have received the following information ...

BLOOD OF THE IRISH
    DVD RELEASE

Crossing the Line Films are delighted to announce that from March 12th 2010 the two part series 'Blood of the Irish' will be available to buy online through www.ctlfilms.com and from a number of retailers throughout Ireland.

BLOOD OF THE IRISH
    Who are the Irish and where did they come from? What blood flows in their veins? 2X52 Min Series.

The archaeological evidence currently shows that the first human settlement in Ireland was 9,000 years ago, but where did these people come from and are there traces of them still in us today? Going beyond traditional genealogy which can only take us back few hundred years, this series explores the genetic history of Irish going back into our distant past. Using groundbreaking studies from Trinity College Dublin and around the world as well as new research conducted especially for this programme, we follow the remarkable story of modern man who left Africa and the particular strands of humankind which ended up in Ireland. Journeying from Kenyan plains through Ice Age Europe and the remarkable cave art of Northern Spain, we explore the survival, adaptation and tenacity of our ancestors. What particular genetic traits are Irish? Who are the Irish genetically closest to? Where else does Irish blood flow beyond the shores of this island? 'Blood of the Irish' explores all we want to know about the Irish people and the story of the human colonisation of this island.
    Last edited by gtc; 9 March 2010, 05:07 PM.

I like the Irish and have some Irish blood but

I have never heard of the movie. Please tell us more about the movie. Never mind it helps to read the post which I just did.
    Last edited by EdwardRHill; 9 March 2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

CTL films have not made clear in their published synopsis that the series uses DNA testing of old established families in counties on the west coast of Ireland to establish links with Iberain families. However, it being a documentary series for a general TV viewership, it does not get into haplotypes and halplogroups.

Comment

From what I have heard, this film is based on seriously outmoded ideas about R1b1b2 in Ireland and its supposed connection to Iberia.

Irishmen are largely R-L21, and Iberia is really short on R-L21. It seems really unlikely that the ancestors of today's Irish came from Iberia.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
          Irishmen are largely R-L21, and Iberia is really short on R-L21. It seems really unlikely that the ancestors of today's Irish came from Iberia.
          For that notion it concentrates on the west coast, where there are numerous long established families with black hair and dark eyes, a combination of features which are rare in the Irish population generally.

Comment

Working...
          X