Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    I miss wrote when I got back my first 12 markers back I had 10 or 12 matches and they had different surnames. When the first 25 markers were finished none of the 12 were showing up. Then by the time the hole 37 markers were finish I still had no matches.

Leave a comment:

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    No matches 0 out of 37. 32 out of 37 I would not bother with that either. 34 out of 37 then I might have something I can work with. I would consider upgrading then. But would want to make contact with the person or person I matched up with. I matched up with three people (at Ancestry)and one of them I tried for over a year to make contact with but they never replied. The third one it took two months for them to reply and I had to get someone to help make that contact. Then they stopped replying to my e-mails. If I match 34 out of 37 and I have reached them by e-mail and they are good at replying to further e-mails. Than I have someone I can work with. Even though I had no matches at FT I still believe they are the better choice. They have a Larger Data Base and higher standers. Two lab tecks check your results one to make sure the other doesn't make a mistake. I understand the paper trail but if there is no paper tail you can't back it up with DNA.

Leave a comment:

• rucksack
    replied
    ^ Have you searched other databases for potential matches?

Will you be looking every month or so to see if there is a close enough match to push you toward more testing?

Believe me when I tell you that if I had not done my larger number of STR testing, I would not have had the ammunition to encourage my "close" matches to upgrade. In the end, it was fruitful and proved the paper trail.

When you say you "have no matches at 37", what do you mean? No 37/37 or no 34/37 or what?

Leave a comment:

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    When I first posted here ever one was saying upgrade or do the clade test. I went ahead and order the upgrade. I decide to change it and called the lab. While I was on the phone with the lab I told them I didn't have any matches at 37. They told me not to upgrade or do the clade test until you get a match. People here will spend your money if you let them and thats a fact.

Leave a comment:

• rucksack
    replied
    ^ Appreciated, but wrong IMO.

What if EVERYBODY did the same? Then nobody would be anywhere in this hobby.

Leave a comment:

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    Save your money

Test 37 that way, if you dont match you save your money there is a chance you want match up. 37 is a good in the middle test. the markers you match up with at 37 or dont match up with will tell you if its worth testing 67. You can always up grand later. watch out here people want you to upgrade and take test you want need to take.

Leave a comment:

• gtc
    replied
    ^ yes, when I said "upgrade" I was referring to STR marker tests. T E Peterman makes a valid point regarding SNPs.

Leave a comment:

• T E Peterman
    replied
    After you have a predicted haplogroup, assuming it will be R1b1b2, you might be prepared to go ahead & order a deep SNP upgrade.

Timothy Peterman

Leave a comment:

• gtc
    replied
    BTW: it appears that O'Grady is more common these days in Australia and Canada than Ireland:

http://www.publicprofiler.org/worldnames/Default.aspx

Leave a comment:

• gtc
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    Should I test for more markers because of that?
    These days most people seeking reliable matches in the various databases are advised to test at least 37 markers, but the general rule is get as many tested as you can afford. If you can afford the 67 marker test, then go for it thereby avoiding the need to upgrade in the foreseeable future.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    started a topic Picking ydna test.

Picking ydna test.

One of my brothers has agreed to be tested for me, since I seem to be short of Y-DNA. But how do I pick which test to order? It seems a lot of people have to upgrade when they get the 37 marker test. Is there any criteria to use to decide? Since our last name is O'Grady I'm assuming the test will point to the British Isles. Should I test for more markers because of that?
Working...
X