Deep clade test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep clade test

I wonder if the Deep Clade Test will be beneficial to me and will it give me more info.

My Y-Haplogroup: R1a*
    Last edited by SEREGA784; 27 January 2010, 06:45 PM. Reason: fixed spelling in haplogroup

When you have a star after your haplogroup, I gather there's chance that deep clade testing will not change that, however I don't know the probabilities of that outcome.

As you can see in the ISOGG tree link below, R1a is a comparatively small tree compared to its brother R1b.

http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpR.html

Here's hoping that one of the downstream SNPs is detected in your sample so that you can lose the *.

Comment

I'm not that knowledgeable about the R1a haplogroup, but I've heard up until recently from people that are that most FTDNA R1a customers test negative for the SNPs in the deep clade test.

However, there is a newly discovered R1a SNP that FTDNA has begun to offer. This is M458. Evidently, a fairly large percentage of FTDNA customers are testing positive for this. It's thought to indicate ancestry from the Slavic areas of Eastern Europe.

It's available for $29 from the Advanced Orders menu, which you get to by logging into your FTDNA account. Click on the link labelled "Order Tests & Upgrades" in the left column of your account page. Then click on the button labelled 'GO TO ADVANCED ORDERS" on the page you're sent to. Next, check the box for SNPs on the next page, which will show you a list of all the SNPs on this menu relevant to men in the R haplogroup. You'll find M458 far down the page in the section under "R-M198."

So, basically the deep clade test for R1a costs more and is not worthwhile for most R1a men, while M458 is cheaper and is found in more R1a men.

Comment

Like MMadi said, almost all R1a subclades are extremely rare.
        With the exception of M458 (R1a1a7), a really huge clade.

In southern Poland, Czechia, Slovakia but even in southern Germany almost 50% of the R1a come out as M458. While its less than 10% of north Germanies R1a population. It becomes also rare in the north of Poland, specially in the north west (Pommerania).

Comment

There is a difference between a subclade being called + or *.

The + designation means that the person has not taken all tests available for subclades known to be nested under the one specified.

The * designation means the tests have been taken for the subclades & the person came up negative.

For example, if a person was described as R1b1b2+ or R-M269+, it would mean that he has tested positive for M269, but hasn't upgraded to take the tests for L23, or L11, or P312, or L21, etc.

If a person is described as R1b1b2* or R-M269*, it means that he tested positive for M269, but tested negative for L23 & all subclades beneath that.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
            The * designation means the tests have been taken for the subclades & the person came up negative.
            Given his "I wonder if" in the original post, I got the impression he has not been deep clade tested. I figured his R1a* was a predicted value.

Comment

That is an immensely important point. When writing about haplogroup assignment, mention whether it is merely predicted or confirmed by the SNP test.

Family Tree DNA predicts haplogroups based on y-str values &, as far as the broad haplogroup (R1a vs R1b, etc), they are correct most of the time. I'm not certain whether "most" means 90% or 99%. But is an overwhelmingly high percentage.

Since the predicted values were so accurate, SNP testing used to be considered a frivolous extra. With the advent of deep clade SNP testing, it is now a must for anyone who is serious about using genetic genealogy to learn more about their lineage.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Oh, this means, he is actually R1a*
                I dont know how rare this is, but it must be quiet rare. I usualy read the claim that "virtually every" R1a is R1a1

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
                  Given his "I wonder if" in the original post, I got the impression he has not been deep clade tested. I figured his R1a* was a predicted value.
                  yes it was predicted (R-SRY10831.2 which is R1a*), and I wonder if other test will be any beneficiary.
                  Last edited by SEREGA784; 28 January 2010, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
                    There is a difference between a subclade being called + or *.

The + designation means that the person has not taken all tests available for subclades known to be nested under the one specified.

so does the * means there is no know subgroup?

Comment

Originally posted by SEREGA784 View Post
                      yes it was predicted (R-SRY10831.2 which is R1a*), and I wonder if other test will be any beneficiary.
                      here is screen shot
                      Attached Files

Comment

I1d-Haplogroup--L205 Subclade test?

I received an email today for the subclade L205 test and I am wondering what the benefit to having this test would be.

Comment

Primarily to help "split" the I1d folks into more sub groups.

I believe only specific haplotypes received that e-mail, so it probably would be good to ask the originator of that e-mail why your haplotype seems interesting.

At least it is only $29.00.

Comment

Originally posted by SEREGA784 View Post
                            so does the * means there is no know subgroup?
                            Yes. But that can change any time.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel72 View Post
                              I see your are R1a1a*. Did you tested or is this a predicted.

Comment

Working...
                              X