need help with BLAST search on genbank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with BLAST search on genbank

I must be doing something wrong. I upload or paste a FASTA sequence, select "other" and the first nucleotide option in the drop down menu, and check the optimize for very similar sequences. When I press blast I get 270 hits but only the first is mitochodrial dna. the others are matches to things like chromosome 8. when I click on the first hit's ascension number -at least I think it is-the number in the first column-I don't get the souce/publication of the sequence. I also tried the genbank link from ftdna but basically thesame thing happens. i'd appreciate it someone could tell me what i've done wrong. thanks much
    Last edited by penguin; 20 January 2010, 09:17 PM.

Try the directions found in this thread:

http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...ighlight=blast

Comment

Since this is of great interest to me also, I followed the directions to the T. At this point, I'd rather pay someone else to do it than try to figure it out for myself...

I guess I'd like to find out more about U8a1's out there and understand more about it.

This is a great thread because I haven't ran into a single questions on BLAST in this forum and the benefits of getting something new from it.
      Carolyn

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
      Try the directions found in this thread:

http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...ighlight=blast

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn1955 View Post
        Since this is of great interest to me also, I followed the directions to the T. At this point, I'd rather pay someone else to do it than try to figure it out for myself...

I guess I'd like to find out more about U8a1's out there and understand more about it.

This is a great thread because I haven't ran into a single questions on BLAST in this forum and the benefits of getting something new from it.
        Carolyn
        Hi Carolyn and all,

There is another way to find close sequences on GenBank besides BLAST. If you search for any one of the U8a1 sequences, then look up the right for "Links," click on that, then click on "Related Sequences." That gives a list of thousands of sequences. Just start at the top and work your way down until you run out of U8a's. This is not a perfect method; I see only 8 U8's before the next one is a U6b. There should be 10 total in U8a; the other two are probably lower down.

Bill Hurst

Comment

Working...
        X