Now I'm Really Confused....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I'm Really Confused....

I just received my MTDNA HVR2 back from Batch 339 and find myself confused. The results for my HVR1 mutation was 16519 C.
    The HVR2 showed 263 G and 315.1 C.

The tutorial doesnt help explain much and I wonder whether it was a waste of money even doing the MTDNA sequence. My YDNA had a whole history with it, as well a a few exact matches, and further explanations of the migrations and possible histories of my paternal DNA ancestors.

Now my maternal DNA (which I was much more interested in finding general migrations and area histories), left me with such a generalization of information, I was shocked. (Oh yes, your ancestors were European!! Oh, really? I never would have guessed...) For an amount double my YDNA fees, I received nothing of any value or interest and I am extremely disappointed. Enough so that I refuse to spend another nickel on this garbage.

YDNA- I2B1

I still await the FGS, full sequence portion and hope I will change my view.
    Any suggestions or direction?? Thank you so much for your time and attention on this dilemma.

As mentioned in a previous post, you have the most common HVR1 and HVR2 in Europe. In other words, you are plain vanilla H and you have thousands of matches even in the current databases (and perhaps millions of matches in the world).

The full sequence will certainly help, because it will find mutations useful to place you within subgroups of H. The advantage of the full sequence is that it is the whole thing - no further test is needed.

Sometimes, the subgroup to which a person belongs hasn't been studied yet by scientists, so one still appears as H* (ie H, but not belonging to any studied subgroup of H). However, with time, more subgroups are being defined. So if in a couple of years scientists define some more subgroups of H, with your FGS results you can check against the new papers and see.

Sometimes, it takes patience.

cacio

Comment

Well, with the FGS will come your mtDNA subclades.
      This will possibly limit the areas.

I have for example K. Even after I had HVR1 and HVR2, it still could have been almost everything. It apeared to have the highest percentages in Eastern Europe and about 30% of the matches had been Jews.

Now with the FGS it became K1a4a1a, wich makes it quiet North-West European. (About 10% of the Scandinavian Ks are in the K1a4a1 subclade and 4% of the British ones. And 1% in France, lower countries and Germany)

Its known the line is from the Dutch/German border, so, not that far from where this subclade usualy exists.

Comment

Originally posted by nikkicivetti View Post
        I just received my MTDNA HVR2 back from Batch 339 and find myself confused. The results for my HVR1 mutation was 16519 C.
        The HVR2 showed 263 G and 315.1 C.

The tutorial doesnt help explain much and I wonder whether it was a waste of money even doing the MTDNA sequence. My YDNA had a whole history with it, as well a a few exact matches, and further explanations of the migrations and possible histories of my paternal DNA ancestors.

Now my maternal DNA (which I was much more interested in finding general migrations and area histories), left me with such a generalization of information, I was shocked. (Oh yes, your ancestors were European!! Oh, really? I never would have guessed...) For an amount double my YDNA fees, I received nothing of any value or interest and I am extremely disappointed. Enough so that I refuse to spend another nickel on this garbage.

YDNA- I2B1

I still await the FGS, full sequence portion and hope I will change my view.
        Any suggestions or direction?? Thank you so much for your time and attention on this dilemma.
        Hi,

I see that you are an exact HVR1 and HVR2 match to a kit I handle.

Known ancestry for this kit is French / French-German.

The kit I handle has had the FGS. No matches yet, maybe it could be you someday.

Comment

Thank you from 'Now I'm Really Confused'

Thank you so very much for your input. It is appreciated. I hope my final results (FGS) will shed some light on my ancestors European heritage or whereever it leads. Being a blonde, blue eyed, fair skinned, recent Italian
          family history; I would love to know what (tribes?) ethnic groups flow in my veins. Even though I feel the drums of Africa beating in my heart, I also feel the wild independence of the rebel Northern-Central European tribes too.

Comment

Working...
          X