Please help, I am confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dtinker View Post
    at this point my husband is so confused because he doesnt really know "Who" he is.
    He is who he is today. Who he was in the past is the question!

Comment

Many Pennsylvania families moved to North Carolina. And many North Carolina families moved to Tennessee (and Alabama etc).

Comment

Thanks. I can place both families in North Carolina and both families in Tennessee, however, I am not Certain what part of NC that the Tinker man was born in. Its intriguing to say the least and I hope to be able to piece it together, I am just so glad we did this test, because if we hadnt, we would have spent the rest of our lives thinking my husband came from a line of people that he didnt come from at all and I feel our children and grandchildren at least deserve to know their real heritage.

Comment

The link rucksack posted that a Fancher and a Tinker married in the early 1800s in Susquehanna, Pennsylvania. There could have been more intermarriages but it just isn't on the internet. And there could have been more kids. (Years ago someone compiled a vast family history of descendants of one of my immigrant ancestors, it included my greatgrandparents but only their oldest children. It listed only seven children, but my greatgrandparents had thirteen. I wrote to the author giving him detailed notes, but I don't know if he re-published with all 13.)
          It is possible that the Pennsylvania Tinker-Fancher couple had another kid. And maybe there was a 'Parent Trap' situation (instead of an NPE) where the kids/siblings were split up and raised by Fancher or Tinker relatives after the death or divorce of their parents.

Comment

Inheritance

I have not seen anyone mention this. I have been told that sometimes husbands would change their surname to their wife's maiden name so they could get the Inheritance. For example Father-in-laws Will says I give all my worldly possessions to my closest male Tinker. Thinking a male would out live him when he had the Will wrote up and they died before him leaving none and he didn't change the will. Or it was a part of a dill just to keep the family name alive. Don't forget the Genealogy part of DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
              I have not seen anyone mention this.
              I mentioned that possibility in post #2.

There are reasons other than inheritance for a man or woman to take their mother's surname.

My paternal grandmother's surname was that of her great grandmother, but I don't think she ever knew that fact. I may be the only one in the family to have dug that out via, as you say, genealogical means.
              Last edited by gtc; 23 January 2010, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Well maybe she will she it and it will help. I figured that would be a good direction for her to look. Out of marriage birth or someone running from the law are two others but she seems to have some good information about the family and I thinking see may have been down that path already. But that would be speculation on my part that she did. Sometimes you have to write it twice. People are so eagerer too help, they give you information overload and you end up with bits and pieces. I know I did

Comment

Working...
                X