Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Match in 25 marker but not in 12 marker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match in 25 marker but not in 12 marker?

I was just wondering regarding my results. I have someone with a match on 25 marker with genetic distance of 2. However, the same person is not showing a match in my 12 marker? How does it work?

I would thought that if I share a common ancestor in 12 marker, our 25 marker would determine if our common ancestor was most recent if we match in 25 marker and if we don't have a match in 25 marker then our common ancestor is not most recent. If we match in 25 marker we can still narrow it down by ordering the 37 marker to see if we have a recent ancestor. If we have a match then we can order the 67 marker to further narrow down if we have a recent common ancestor.

What I understand is that since I have a match with someone in 25 marker, then I would assume that we should also have a match in 12 marker as well.
    I am confused.... Can someone explain it a bit further for me or direct me to some documentation. Thanks.

Here's my result.

12 Marker - 0 Match(es)
    No Matches Found

25 Marker - Genetic Distance - 2
    1 Match(es)
    xxx xxxx

37 Marker - 0 Match(es)
    No Matches Found

That would make the person either an 11/12 with you or a 10/12 with you.

Only 11/12 will show up under your 12 marker matches, and only then if you are in the same "surname" project.

Remember, "surname" is misleading at FTDNA, it encompasses all sorts of projects and not just surnames.

You can e-mail the 23/25 and ask them to join one of your projects or compare the markers.

You can do this with y-search or via e-mail.

By the way, in order to actually see which 11/12's are in which project, be sure to click on the green radio button in the circle next to the project of your choice in your personal page. You'll note that the 11/12's will change depending on which project they are in or not in.

Comment

It could also be that your 23/25 match has selected to limit his matches to those at 25 and above.
      This will take him out of matches at the 12 marker level.
      See 'Users Preferences".

Comment

Originally posted by Slade425 View Post
        What I understand is that since I have a match with someone in 25 marker, then I would assume that we should also have a match in 12 marker as well.
        I am confused.... Can someone explain it a bit further for me or direct me to some documentation. Thanks.
        Each person can select which matches they can see. This also selects which matches will be shown. If I select to "not see" 12 marker matches I won't see them and no one will see me even if we have an exact 12 marker match. This is one reason you might not see the 12 marker match. This is what has already been said.

The 23/25 match might also be a 10/12 match. FTDNA will not show this as a 12 marker match. And they won't show an 11/12 marker match if it is with a different surname.

When you look at your matches some names will have (37) or some other number after their name. This is the number of markers that has been reported for them. If you see the name at 25 markers and there isn't a number after their name then they have only had 25 markers reported.

Comment

I have one match who is 10/12, 21/25, 32/37 and still 62/67. So any R1b descendants out there don't discard the 'distant' matches until 67 markers are tested. Not forgetting a deep clade R test to confirm your more recent haplogroup!

On a similar note I have 263 12/12 matches. Chances are high we are R1b descendants, but if they all took a deep clade test we would be in different haplogroups (more recent than R1b)!

hth

Comment

Thanks for your reply. It is making more sence

I have already set my preferences to display everything
            More than likely they have set theirs not to display everything. I have already emailed the person I have a match in 25 marker with genetic distance of 2 to see if we can compare in YSearch or in any Project.

Instead, I look at the Recent Ancestral Origins and I find a match in 12 marker and 25 marker and more match in 12 marker.

12 Marker Y-DNA Matches
            Exact Matches
            Country Your Matches Comment Match Total Country Total Percentage
            Indonesia 2 - 2 653 0.3%
            One Step Mutations
            Indonesia 1 - 1 653 0.2%
            Spain 1 - 1 2,808 < 0.1%

25 Marker Y-DNA Matches
            Two Step Mutations
            Spain 1 - 1 1,088 0.1%

37 Marker Y-DNA Matches
            No Matches.

67 Marker Y-DNA Matches
            We cannot check for matches at this level as no upgrade has been purchased.
            Purchase An Upgrade

Comment

Working...
            X