Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm sure you get this question all the time but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure you get this question all the time but...

I took two tests through the National Genographic project, one for my paternal and one for my maternal heritage, and then transferred my results here to Family Tree DNA. I was very pleased with the results from the paternal lineage, especially because when I clicked on Ancestor Origins, there were hundreds of near matches that provided some interesting information as to the areas my father's family's line may have come from.

However, with my mother's side I have not been so lucky. Ancestral origins shows only about 12 near matches, none of them bunched enough in one area to be consequential.

Now, I've noticed a few people complaining about finicky results showing on the website here. So what I want to know is is my maternal line (Haplogroup H) lacking results in the "ancestral origins" because mtDNA does not bring up many results there, or could it be an error with the website? I thought Haplogroup H was extremely common, so why don't I have numerous near-matches showing like the Y-chromosome results? Lastly, would an upgraded mtDNA test show substantially more near-matches?

Thanks!

Hi,

Normally, someone in H has thousands of HVR1 matches, but you may have some particular mutations that set you apart from most others. First, log into your account and in User Preferences, make sure you have HVR1 & 2 checked for matching, even though you probably don't have HVR2 results yet; in case you do upgrade, you'll have already done this and it will be one less thing to remember to do. Also, if you've joined any FTDNA projects (I'd suggest the H project to begin with), check the boxes that you want to give administrators access to. Next, check your mtDNA Haplogroup Origins page. You might be lucky enough to have HVR1 mutations that give a clue as to your subclade, based on the matches that show up. This is the case for a friend of mine, also H, whose HVR1 mutations are strongly indicative of H6, as shown by the matches that show up on the Haplogroup Origins page. As for upgrading to FGS, it's the only way to know both your HVR2 & Coding Region mutations, which could give you a better indication of your mtDNA origins. However, as others have stated many times, at this point in time, the resolution for mtDNA is nowhere near that of yDNA. Hope this helps.

Vinnie

Comment

Hi

I know what you mean, I have had the FGS on my mtdna and have 53 HVR1 matches too. In my ancestral origins I have 24 for HVR1 not 53. As Vinnie says other users mustn't have their user preferences checked.

I don't know your ydna line, but if it is 'R1b' etc one needs to be careful when comparing origins. I suppose it depends how ancestral you wish to 'go'.
      I am a R1b descendant and have 263 12/12 matches. R1b lived 35,000 yrs ago. All his descendants are R1b??? (the ??? indicating subgroups). Of my 263 matches only a percentage are R1b -1b2a1b4 (my subgroup)this person lived 3,500 yrs ago in Alpine Germany/Switzerland. So all R1b??? share the same ancestor, but 35,000 yrs ago.

This would apply to all ydna groups but obviously different 'ages' and locations!

If you want more recent ancestors more testing is needed to confirm your haplogroup R1b??? etc.

hth

Originally posted by downeyxxl View Post
      I took two tests through the National Genographic project, one for my paternal and one for my maternal heritage, and then transferred my results here to Family Tree DNA. I was very pleased with the results from the paternal lineage, especially because when I clicked on Ancestor Origins, there were hundreds of near matches that provided some interesting information as to the areas my father's family's line may have come from.

However, with my mother's side I have not been so lucky. Ancestral origins shows only about 12 near matches, none of them bunched enough in one area to be consequential.

Now, I've noticed a few people complaining about finicky results showing on the website here. So what I want to know is is my maternal line (Haplogroup H) lacking results in the "ancestral origins" because mtDNA does not bring up many results there, or could it be an error with the website? I thought Haplogroup H was extremely common, so why don't I have numerous near-matches showing like the Y-chromosome results? Lastly, would an upgraded mtDNA test show substantially more near-matches?

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks so much Vinnie and Brian, your responses are very detailed and thoughtful!

For now, it looks like I'll have to sign up for some projects and...well, I don't know what kind of answers that will provide. It looks like I'm going to need to spend some time with this before I can decipher any of this information into anything meaningful...

Anyway, thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Consider yourself lucky.

I have exactly one (yes count it, one) mtDNA match and I've gone through all the mtDNA testing - the expensive stuff.

And the match was at the lowest level.

Comment

Originally posted by botoole60611 View Post
            Consider yourself lucky.

I have exactly one (yes count it, one) mtDNA match and I've gone through all the mtDNA testing - the expensive stuff.

And the match was at the lowest level.
            I don't have any mtDNA matches, except on my mtDNA Ancestral Origins page, where I have exactly one with someone from Poland.

Of course, I am U5 (probably U5a1), not H.

Comment

Working...
            X