mtDNA testing for famlily members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA testing for famlily members

I am purchasing several mtDNAPlus tests for family members so we can compare results and I understand it's mother to mother to mother and so on. Can a first cousin and niece take it as well? My goal is to find more U8a1's since there is so few of us at FTDNA born in the U.S. I have only seen 2 in this haplogroup in the U.S but more than a dozen in Finland that match me. Since I am footing the bill, I want to make sure those I choose for the testing are the best choices.

My 5th great grandmother may have been born in America but there are no records of her parents or where they came from. I suspect Finland and Sweden but need a whole lot more information.
    Thanks

To avoid duplication, you have to make sure that you choose people who do not have the same ancestress on the female line. So, for instance, cousins with the same maternal grandmothers are not ok.

Apart from that, it's just random who has which haplogroup.

cacio

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn1955 View Post
      Can a first cousin and niece take it as well? My goal is to find more U8a1's since there is so few of us at FTDNA born in the U.S. I have only seen 2 in this haplogroup in the U.S but more than a dozen in Finland that match me. Since I am footing the bill, I want to make sure those I choose for the testing are the best choices.
      Your mother's sister's daughter, a first cousin, and you sister's daughter, a niece, should both be U8a1's. If you only goal is to find more U8a1's that will do it.

I'm not sure what you are trying to find out when you ask, "Can a first cousin and niece take it as well?" Anyone can take a mtDNAPlus test.

In case you haven't guessed I'm confused by your goal.

Comment

You answered my question. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
        Your mother's sister's daughter, a first cousin, and you sister's daughter, a niece, should both be U8a1's. If you only goal is to find more U8a1's that will do it.

I'm not sure what you are trying to find out when you ask, "Can a first cousin and niece take it as well?" Anyone can take a mtDNAPlus test.

In case you haven't guessed I'm confused by your goal.

Comment

Working...
        X