SRY2627+ in Tunisia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRY2627+ in Tunisia

A while ago I noticed a small but still somewhat significant percentage of males who tested positive for SRY2627 in Tunisia. Results were found in a couple of studies and Genebase mentions the same thing in one of their informational videos. I have yet to come across anybody who may have tested positive through FTDNA. My interest is in knowing for those who tested positive in Tunisia how far back they can trace their lineage there. Only aware of 1 nearby Sicilian SRY2627 but ancestry is traced back to Spain or France sometime within recent time. I know it's a long stretch and quite impossible, but if it can be confirmed SRY2627 ancestry has been in Tunisia within the Carthaginian period it would really help confirm some questions I have about Celtiberian/Iberian and Ligurian presence in Northern Africa. It would also help identifying the tribe(s) associated most strongly with the subclade.

Arch

[QUOTE=Arch;190802]A while ago I noticed a small but still somewhat significant percentage of males who tested positive for SRY2627 in Tunisia. Results were found in a couple of studies and Genebase mentions the same thing in one of their informational videos. I have yet to come across anybody who may have tested positive through FTDNA. My interest is in knowing for those who tested positive in Tunisia how far back they can trace their lineage there. Only aware of 1 nearby Sicilian SRY2627 but ancestry is traced back to Spain or France sometime within recent time. I know it's a long stretch and quite impossible, but if it can be confirmed SRY2627 ancestry has been in Tunisia within the Carthaginian period it would really help confirm some questions I have about Celtiberian/Iberian and Ligurian presence in Northern Africa. It would also help identifying the tribe(s) associated most strongly with the subclade.

I do not think that this will be difficult to prove once the Tunisians get tested (which WILL be difficult). I have travelled and worked there on occasion and can attest to their diversity in phenotypes at least. Being that they were a French protectorate, 2627 should show up from recent history.

Tunisia and Sicily share a rich symbiotic history dating back to BC, so I think that it might be possible through those channels as well. It has yet to be proven who the original people were, the Berbers are indeed mentioned, but it has been said in anthropological studies that they were fair skinned and fair haired with blue eyes, not really african looking by our point of view. The Berbers whom I know today and I call my friends, have a phenotype that is no different than someone from the Middle East or the Mediterranean."

I think Cappelli conducted some research there, no?

Cheers!

Comment

[QUOTE=Zaru;190822]
      Originally posted by Arch View Post
      A while ago I noticed a small but still somewhat significant percentage of males who tested positive for SRY2627 in Tunisia. Results were found in a couple of studies and Genebase mentions the same thing in one of their informational videos. I have yet to come across anybody who may have tested positive through FTDNA. My interest is in knowing for those who tested positive in Tunisia how far back they can trace their lineage there. Only aware of 1 nearby Sicilian SRY2627 but ancestry is traced back to Spain or France sometime within recent time. I know it's a long stretch and quite impossible, but if it can be confirmed SRY2627 ancestry has been in Tunisia within the Carthaginian period it would really help confirm some questions I have about Celtiberian/Iberian and Ligurian presence in Northern Africa. It would also help identifying the tribe(s) associated most strongly with the subclade.

I do not think that this will be difficult to prove once the Tunisians get tested (which WILL be difficult). I have travelled and worked there on occasion and can attest to their diversity in phenotypes at least. Being that they were a French protectorate, 2627 should show up from recent history.

Tunisia and Sicily share a rich symbiotic history dating back to BC, so I think that it might be possible through those channels as well. It has yet to be proven who the original people were, the Berbers are indeed mentioned, but it has been said in anthropological studies that they were fair skinned and fair haired with blue eyes, not really african looking by our point of view. The Berbers whom I know today and I call my friends, have a phenotype that is no different than someone from the Middle East or the Mediterranean."

I think Cappelli conducted some research there, no?

Cheers!
      Yeah I noticed the French influence there and which is fairly recent in time. I understand Ligurians were found in Tunisia as mercenaries along with Iberians from mostly the Ilergete tribe. With SRY2627 being such a small subclade and appears to not be getting any larger. I would find it odd that such a subclade would be found in significant numbers anywhere outside of Spain and in some regions of France. Not only that to be a fairly young subclade even makes it unusual to see the numbers found in Tunisia. The only real "hotspots" I have noticed only seem to point to five locations: Central to Eastern Pyrenees, Cantabrian Mtns, Mouth of the Duero River, Tunisia and SW Britain. Again, with such a small subclade I find it unusual that it's so well spread out at a relatively young age. That is why I am hoping we see more Tunisian results and knowledge of how long the paternal line has been in Tunisia. Granted I realize there was Catalan expansion during the Middle Ages throughout the Mediterranean Sea during the Middle Ages. I am really hoping for going back to 200 BCE or earlier to Carthaginan and Phoenician time frames.

Arch

Comment

Working...
      X