Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matches??? or not?

A rather complicated question:

In checking out the possible relationship between two people, I was reviewing the "match" names on the pages of the two possible relatives. Their names did not match at all-- and each had quite a few names to look at.

However, in reviewing the names on one of the pages, it struck me that many of the names sounded familiar. Since the only other relative on FamilytreeDNA is my only submission-- my brother-- I compared the two. (It should be noted that these two people did not know/live near each other in Lithuania and only came into contact with each other (if at all) in Chicago after emigrating.) Lo and behold-- of the mere 17 names on my brother's "match" list-- 11 of them did match names on the other person's "match" list (he had over 200 total names). They did not show up on *each other's* lists because the two of them did not have a 12/12 match and therefore, the later matches using more values did not show up either.

So......what is the possible relationship here? It seems to me that since each of the two relatives separately (and rather closely) matched names on each other's lists there might be *some sort* of relationship back in time. Am I right? If so, it was only this fluke of remembering names that led me to this information.

Is there a way (or is it not valuable) to compare these two gentlemen who according to FamilytreeDNA *did not match* in anyway?

I hope this is clear. Very convoluted, I agree. I look forward to responses or clarifying questions.

Elaine Bush
    http://elainebush.tribalpages.com

Even a 12/12 match doesn't imply any close relation. One needs to match (or nearly match) at 30+ or 60+ markers to have anything within a few hundred years. So I don't think your situation says much about recent ancestry.

Still, there could be some use. For instance, if all these people come from the same region, then this could indicate the likely geographic origin.

cacio

Comment

Re: Matches??? or not?

Thanks, Cacio for your input. I should clarify: I'll call the two *non-matched* people: A and B
      Just as a "for instance" even though they do not have 12/12 match, here is what they *do* have:

Using 37 markers: They share one name with 2 mutations (each)
      They share 7 names with 37 markers and 4 mutations.

Since we know that a 12/12 match does not imply a close relation, why are not "matches" such as the ones above included in each others lists? Is a 37 -2 "match" not equal to a 37 -2 match that has a 12/12 match included in it?

Comment

^ If your speaking of the FTDNA database and the "matches" page.

They both should show up under the 37 marker possibilities.

Three reasons that they won't show up:

1. Different haplogroups.

2. One of the folks has not ticked their box under their "User Preferences" that states:
        When displaying matches only show (you can check more than one box):

12-marker matches/close matches

Please note that depending on your 12-marker haplotype you may see a high number of irrelevant matches under this option. For relevant matches check only the 25, 37 and 67 marker boxes.

25-marker matches/close matches

37-marker matches/close matches

67-marker matches/close matches

HVR1 matches

HVR2 matches
        3. The one looking or the one being sought has restricted their searches in the same "User Preferences" to surname only.

Comment

Elaine:

another possibility, other than those mentioned by rucksack, is that the search parameters are set to look only at zero distance. One can increase the allowed distance to a higher number, and see what happens.

cacio

Comment

Originally posted by cacio View Post
            another possibility, other than those mentioned by rucksack, is that the search parameters are set to look only at zero distance. One can increase the allowed distance to a higher number, and see what happens.
            There is no option to adjust search parameters on the FTDNA website. Ysearch has that, but FTDNA does not.

Elise
            Last edited by efgen; 26 October 2009, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
              Three reasons that they won't show up:

1. Different haplogroups.
              Currently, FTDNA does not filter out matches based on haplogroup. This might change in the future (smart matching, like mtDNA has), but it is not implemented today.

Originally posted by rucksack View Post

2. One of the folks has not ticked their box under their "User Preferences" that states:
              [ ...snip...]

3. The one looking or the one being sought has restricted their searches in the same "User Preferences" to surname only.
              These are the likely possibilities.

Elise
              Last edited by efgen; 26 October 2009, 01:26 AM.

Comment

I just checked my FTDNA mtDNA matches page. And FTDNA points out that they take haplogroup into account (smart matching).

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
                  I just checked my FTDNA mtDNA matches page. And FTDNA points out that they take haplogroup into account (smart matching).
                  Yes, but we are still waiting for that feature on our Y-DNA matches. It's supposed to be implemented before the end of this year. It can't come too soon for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X