Why can't they get a predicted Hg?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't they get a predicted Hg?

I am new to this, so please excuse anything that I say that might be wrong...

I got my results back on Fri and it said that I am a "Cohen match". Frankly, this is not really surprising (ahem, my name). However, what confused me is that my Hg could not be predicted. I just want to know why, considering that I conform exactly to the J1e Cohen DYS values? I thought maybe they would have done this many times before with Cohens and could extrapolate with a decent amount of confidence that I am J1e. I don't understand why I need a SNP Backbone (free of charge because of the SNP Assurance)... What data does this give me besides _confirmed_ Hg?

Thanks.

All of these tests are important or FTDNA wouldn't do them.

Comment

Hi Aron,

My cousin is a CMH match as well and you show up on his match list.

While the 12-marker CMH is in J1, there are some J2 people who match it on 11/12 markers. It would be very easy for a J2 person to have a mutation that causes them to match the 12-marker CMH, but that wouldn't change their haplogroup. So the prediction can be ambiguous between J1 and J2, and a SNP test is the only way to be certain that the correct haplogroup is assigned.

Besides, it's a free test, don't knock it

Elise
      Last edited by efgen; 18th October 2009, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses!

I really do appreciate all the help.

Comment

Working...
        X