Tip Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Reports

I note that when I go to my FTDNA page, select Matches and generate a Tip Report with my cousin, it shows a 47% probability of a common ancestor at 8 generations and 76% at 12 generations. However, when I generate a Quick Tip Report from the Dashboard page for my cousin and me, it shows 70% at 8 gens and 90% at 12 gens. Why the big difference?

Thanks, Skilly

Originally posted by Skilly View Post
    I note that when I go to my FTDNA page, select Matches and generate a Tip Report with my cousin, it shows a 47% probability of a common ancestor at 8 generations and 76% at 12 generations. However, when I generate a Quick Tip Report from the Dashboard page for my cousin and me, it shows 70% at 8 gens and 90% at 12 gens. Why the big difference?

Thanks, Skilly
    Skilly-

The Tip report is an unrefined science. This is clear. My brother and I are a GD of 1 at 25 markers, giving us a 27% chance of having a shared ancestor in the last 4 generations. But of course it states that you can refine those percentages with your paperwork. So now instead of us having a 27% chance, we now have a 100% chance of being related.

This is why I am skeptical of the science as a whole, but am very interested in the process and the data farming aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaru View Post
      But of course it states that you can refine those percentages with your paperwork. So now instead of us having a 27% chance, we now have a 100% chance of being related.

This is why I am skeptical of the science as a whole, but am very interested in the process and the data farming aspect.
      I am also a skeptic of those statistical distance tools, but then I have no close matches at all.

Regardless, like yourself, I am keenly interested in where this science may lead. It's very early days and like I said elsewhere I liken this period to the discovery of magnetism ... the harnessing and application of electricity is some ways off yet.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
        I am also a skeptic of those statistical distance tools, but then I have no close matches at all.

Regardless, like yourself, I am keenly interested in where this science may lead. It's very early days and like I said elsewhere I liken this period to the discovery of magnetism ... the harnessing and application of electricity is some ways off yet.
        that's the case with me even i don't have any close match..

Comment

Working...
        X