mtFullSequence vs mtDNA Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtFullSequence vs mtDNA Plus

I had my mtDNAPlus done but want to know more about recent times. It appears the mtFullSequence test is $449 vs $410 upgrade. Can anyone justify the difference in the cost in reference to the end result? Would the end results answer more questions than it would in creating them? There sure is a lot of difference in pricing between ordering mtFullSequence vs the upgrade.

Hi Carolyn,

I think you're actually trying to ask two different questions:

1) Why does the upgrade to mtFullSequence cost less than a standard mtFullSequence order?

2) What's the benefit of upgrading to the full sequence from the mtDNAPlus?

Answers:

1) The upgrade costs less simply because you have already done some mtDNA testing and therefore your DNA has been extracted and stored at the lab already. That saves a few steps in the processing, so you get a discount compared to someone who has never ordered an mtDNA test before. So if you decide to go for the full sequence, definitely order the upgrade -- there's no need to start from scratch.

2) The mtFullSequence (aka FGS) test is the only way to find out your mtDNA subclade. There's a better chance of finding a genealogical connection with FGS matches than with mtDNAPlus matches, ***BUT*** it's still not easy. Exact FGS matches can still be related as much as 500 years ago (or more?), like 37-marker Y-DNA matches. What makes it even more difficult is that many people don't know their direct maternal lines that far back, plus you're not comparing people with the same surname like you are with Y-DNA. So there are fewer success stories with mtDNA, but there are a few. Check out ISOGG's success stories page and scroll about 2/3 down the page to get to the mtDNA section:

http://www.isogg.org/successstories.htm

Elise

Comment

Thanks so much for your explanation. I'm less confused now, but, if the mtDNAPlus was $149 (already taken) and the upgrade is $410 that would be a total of $559. I'll check out your link. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn1955 View Post
        Thanks so much for your explanation. I'm less confused now, but, if the mtDNAPlus was $149 (already taken) and the upgrade is $410 that would be a total of $559. I'll check out your link. Thanks
        Hi Carolyn,

Ah, yes, now I see what you were asking. My understanding is that the processing for the mtFullSequence is different than the processing for the mtDNAPlus, so they can't just "add on" the parts that you haven't had tested yet. They have to run the entire test, which includes the HVR1/HVR2, even though you've already tested those sections. So they give existing customers a slight discount from the full price, but they can't discount the entire cost of the mtDNAPlus.

I went the upgrade route as well, and wish I could have done the FGS from the start, but back then the cost was nearly $1000 and there was no way I was going to spend that much on one test

Once in a while, they do have sales on upgrades to the FGS. They usually offer them to one haplogroup at a time. So you may want to check with your haplogroup project admin, or even contact FTDNA by phone or email, and see if there are any plans for a sale anytime soon.

Elise
        Last edited by efgen; 13 July 2009, 02:00 PM.

Comment

You have been such a great help and have cleared the confusion up for me. I'll keep tabs on specials so I can get this done.
          Thanks again,
          Carolyn

Comment

Working...
          X