Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exact match

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exact match

    I'm another newbie... sorry for the dumb questions

    I just got my results from my mtDNA HVR1/HVR2 test. I believe this is a 37 marker test. I really couldn't find any information on the following (exact, 1-step, 2-step, etc.)

    The map link shows an exact match and the stick pin is red. What exactly does this mean? Is this person related to me through DNA or we just have the same migration path?

    Thanks for letting me ask my dumb questions...
    Last edited by Carolyn1955; 8 July 2009, 03:25 PM. Reason: left out a word

  • #2
    Originally posted by Carolyn1955 View Post
    I'm another newbie... sorry for the dumb questions

    I just got my results from my mtDNA HVR1/HVR2 test. I believe this is a 37 marker test. I really couldn't find any information on the following (exact, 1-step, 2-step, etc.)

    The map link shows an exact match and the stick pin is red. What exactly does this mean? Is this person related to me through DNA or we just have the same migration path?

    Thanks for letting me ask my dumb questions...
    umm the HVR1 and HVR2 tests are mtDNA and not Y-DNA tests. 37 markers usually means Y-DNA. You go to the Matches page on your FTDNA page to find matches.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Carolyn1955 View Post
      I'm another newbie... sorry for the dumb questions

      I just got my results from my mtDNA HVR1/HVR2 test. I believe this is a 37 marker test. I really couldn't find any information on the following (exact, 1-step, 2-step, etc.)

      The map link shows an exact match and the stick pin is red. What exactly does this mean? Is this person related to me through DNA or we just have the same migration path?

      Thanks for letting me ask my dumb questions...
      If you and another person match exactly on mtDNA HVR1/HVR2, you are at least distantly related. There is a 50/50 chance that you share a common maternal ancestor within the past 1,000 years or so.

      Regards,
      Jim

      Comment


      • #4
        That's what I was trying to figure out. Thanks a bunch!


        Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck View Post
        If you and another person match exactly on mtDNA HVR1/HVR2, you are at least distantly related. There is a 50/50 chance that you share a common maternal ancestor within the past 1,000 years or so.

        Regards,
        Jim

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck View Post
          If you and another person match exactly on mtDNA HVR1/HVR2, you are at least distantly related. There is a 50/50 chance that you share a common maternal ancestor within the past 1,000 years or so.

          Regards,
          Jim
          Really THAT bad?

          I somewhere read that a HVR1/HVR2 exact match would mean a common anchestor in 7-14 generations ago. Wich is 175-350 years?

          Some pages compare a HVR1/HVR2 exact match roughly wioth a 37/37 match in Y-DNA. While a match in a full sequence is like 67/67?

          Last edited by Daniel72; 8 July 2009, 05:09 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hmm..
            Just read some other pages, wich claim, HVR1+2 can easily last 32 Generations without a single mutation...

            Well, in that case, one could have saved the money, because testing it it totaly uninteresting, isnt it?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Daniel72 View Post
              Hmm..
              Just read some other pages, wich claim, HVR1+2 can easily last 32 Generations without a single mutation...

              Well, in that case, one could have saved the money, because testing it it totaly uninteresting, isnt it?
              It's a deep ancestry test. Weren't you interested in deep ancestry?

              Regards,
              Jim

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck View Post
                It's a deep ancestry test. Weren't you interested in deep ancestry?

                Regards,
                Jim
                I was yes.

                So I have a HVR1+2 exact match in Ireland, England, "United Kingdom" (cant you write it more exact to the sheet grrr!), Germany and Poland.

                And a bunch of USA (pretty uninteresting for "deep ancestry" )
                So, what does this tell me about my deep anchestry? *sigh*

                the +1 and -1 (on HVR1+2) are aswell spread over British Isles, Germany and Poland.

                Oldest known member of that line is born in Germany, close to the Dutch border....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Daniel72 View Post
                  I was yes.

                  So I have a HVR1+2 exact match in Ireland, England, "United Kingdom" (cant you write it more exact to the sheet grrr!), Germany and Poland.

                  And a bunch of USA (pretty uninteresting for "deep ancestry" )
                  So, what does this tell me about my deep anchestry? *sigh*

                  the +1 and -1 (on HVR1+2) are aswell spread over British Isles, Germany and Poland.

                  Oldest known member of that line is born in Germany, close to the Dutch border....
                  So you already knew the origin of your maternal line when you tested? I don't understand why you tested mtDNA.

                  The rest of your deep ancestry on that line is the history of haplogroup K. It spent the Ice Age south of the Alps, then moved north down the Rhine. For you that's pretty much it.

                  Regards,
                  Jim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Daniel72 View Post
                    Hmm..
                    Just read some other pages, wich claim, HVR1+2 can easily last 32 Generations without a single mutation...
                    It could also be your brother, sister or mother. This is why EVERYONE needs to be sure to upload their GEDCOM. That is the only way you can tell if you have a close match.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck View Post
                      So you already knew the origin of your maternal line when you tested? I don't understand why you tested mtDNA.

                      The rest of your deep ancestry on that line is the history of haplogroup K. It spent the Ice Age south of the Alps, then moved north down the Rhine. For you that's pretty much it.

                      Regards,
                      Jim
                      Well, I know that line only 4 generations back.

                      I tested mtDNA because I wanted to know if that line is "native" for the past 2000 or so years or if it migrated in "recent" (last 2000 years ) time.

                      So, now all I know is, that there are people in Ireland, England, Germany and Poland who could be related in the past 1000 years. And all regions, except England have identical percentage. Well ok, if I count myself in, Germany has twice.

                      I somehow expected a more "clear" concentration on one region.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I never figured out how to do a Gedcom on my old MAC laptop.

                        Anyway, as far as I've read and can see, HVR2 mutates at a slower pace than HVR1. I've seen exact HVR2's that are not very closely related to mine, including my rather rare 228A.

                        U5b2 & R1a1

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hmm...
                          Suposedly, the average mutation rate of a mtDNA base is 0.00001

                          HVR1 seems to be 670 bases and HVR2 680 bases.

                          Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

                          this would make a HVR1+2 match (wich is a 1140/1140)
                          I used 25 years for a generation event here:
                          http://dna-project.clan-donald-usa.org/tmrca.htm

                          common anchestor in the last:
                          50% chance for 800 years
                          75% chance for 1.500 years
                          90% chance for 2.500 years.
                          97.5% chance for 4.000 years.

                          And a HVR1 match alone (thats a 670/670):
                          (these numbers apear extremely recent to me. Specially since my own is 2300 matches and my fathers is over 7000 matches at HVR1. On the other hand I know people who have only 3 matches in HVR1....)

                          50% chance for 1.300 years
                          75% chance for 2.500 years
                          90% chance for 4.300 years
                          97.5% chance for 6.900 years

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
                            ...
                            Anyway, as far as I've read and can see, HVR2 mutates at a slower pace than HVR1. I've seen exact HVR2's that are not very closely related to mine, including my rather rare 228A.
                            ...
                            That has been my experience as well on both Mitosearch and GenBank, I get perfect HVR2 matches to a bunch of diverse folk who are variously distant in HVR1 and the coding region.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X