R1a1 Haplogroup Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1a1 Haplogroup Question

Just having received my first panel of 12 results, I was wondering if others here who are R1a1 have received a 15 in the 393 allele? (And I'm a newbie, so please excuse if I've posted this in the wrong place, or have my terminology slightly confused.)

A 15 is pretty rare.

http://www.yhrd.org/Research/Loci/DY...p&locus=dys393

Comment

Many thanks for your reply and the link. On this first round of results, I have only a couple of exact matches in England, and to three others with my surname in America. That's it. On the next level out (2-step mutations), I have very few matches either, with single matches in Scotland, the United Kingdom, England, Germany, Iceland, Kazahkstan and Poland.
      I suppose I thought there might be more matches in the first results, but I think it's a somewhat rare haplogroup in the British Isles, where my ancestors came from.

Comment

Originally posted by RussellL View Post
        Many thanks for your reply and the link. On this first round of results, I have only a couple of exact matches in England, and to three others with my surname in America. That's it. On the next level out (2-step mutations), I have very few matches either, with single matches in Scotland, the United Kingdom, England, Germany, Iceland, Kazahkstan and Poland.
        I suppose I thought there might be more matches in the first results, but I think it's a somewhat rare haplogroup in the British Isles, where my ancestors came from.
        You might try to make a YSearch account.

One can also pretty nice toy around with http://www.yhrd.org too.

I checked where in Europe a DYS393=15 is most common.

Its England, Gotland (Swedish island), Blekinge (southern coast of Sweden) and the north of Austria.

Comment

Thank you again for the link as well as the guidance. This is all new to me so any tips are much appreciated.

Comment

I2b1 and I have 15 on allele 393 (England my only near ancestory match at 37 markers)

Comment

Very interesting, thanks. Out of curiosity, is your ancestry from England or....?

Comment

Very interesting, thanks. Out of curiosity, is your ancestry from England or....?
                Actually unsure, but I think my ancestor was thomas smith who was born in essex england in the early 1600's. The near ancestory was 3 mutations at 37 markers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. My ancestor was also English, born in 1608, likely Anglo-Norman ancestry.

Comment

Perhaps.....

Thanks for the reply. My ancestor was also English, born in 1608, likely Anglo-Norman ancestry.
                    Perhaps R1a1 confirms this likely Anglo-Norman ancestry?

Perhaps your Anglo-Norman ancestor descended from a Angle or maybe a Norman, both apparently had roots in Scandinavia....

Comment

More than likely the descent would be through a Norman, whose roots would have been essentially Viking. After all, Normandy was named after the Northmen.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel72 View Post
                        You might try to make a YSearch account.

One can also pretty nice toy around with http://www.yhrd.org too.

I checked where in Europe a DYS393=15 is most common.

Its England, Gotland (Swedish island), Blekinge (southern coast of Sweden) and the north of Austria.
                        I don't think many of these are R1a1.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Johnsen View Post
                          I don't think many of these are R1a1.
                          What makes you think this?
                          Austria and the southern coats of Sweden are full of R1a types.
                          Well England... could be Vikings or Scythian mercenaries from the Romans....

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel72 View Post
                            What makes you think this?
                            Austria and the southern coats of Sweden are full of R1a types.
                            Well England... could be Vikings or Scythian mercenaries from the Romans....
                            Yes, there are lots of people who are R1a in Sweden and Austria. However I think the Swedish YHRD samples you refer to come from the study "Y-chromosome diversity in Sweden – A long-time perspective". None of the tested people with DYS 393 = 15 were R1a.
                            Last edited by Paul_Johnsen; 3 July 2009, 01:22 PM.

Comment

This is interesting about the 393=15 locations. I saw on one chart quite a number of the 15 values in England. Paul, are there other locations where such a value is common, and if so, does that say anything about my ancestory? Or is it just a genetic fluke that isn't territorial specific?

Comment

Working...
                              X