Are 23andme and dna Tribes any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 23andme and dna Tribes any good?

I've gone thru most of the testings on FTDNA. Having seen references to these other two, I'm thinging of trying one, but not sure which is better.

Being adopted I'm trying to verify ancestry, and much as I am comfortable with FTDNA, those other two seem to be more on the spot with ethnicity/ancestry.

Originally posted by botoole60611 View Post
    I've gone thru most of the testings on FTDNA. Having seen references to these other two, I'm thinging of trying one, but not sure which is better.

Being adopted I'm trying to verify ancestry, and much as I am comfortable with FTDNA, those other two seem to be more on the spot with ethnicity/ancestry.
    Not for you if you think you might be of German or English ancestry. DNA Tribes does not have a big English database, and at 23andMe the German and English populations overlap.

Regards,
    Jim

Comment

There is some hope and speculation that new populations will be added to the database at 23andMe, but no word on when.

Comment

I haven't done dna tribes, but I've done 23andme and decodeme. As others said, you shouldn't expect anything very specific about ancestry within a continent.

however, 23andme gives a lot of potentially useful medical information - being adopted, you probably can't look at your relatives to have information about your health risks. So I would consider 23andme (or decodeme), but more for medical reasons, with the ancestry results thrown in as a bonus.

cacio

Comment

The genome scans - 23andMe or DeCodeMe - are the better value given the sheer number of SNP's sampled although the information they offer regarding ancestry is more potential than actual at this time. In order to be more informative regarding ancestry the scanners need to increase the number of reference populations and/or improve their statistical analyses.

DNATribes has the opposite problem, an abundance of reference populations for a very limited marker set.

Comment

I've decided to try 23 and me. At least that might tell me what my ancestry is supposed to be (according to them).

While I've found 67/3 thru 67/7 matches on ySearch and FTDNA, there is no guarantee they are my haplogroup - and FTDNA says that's true.

The closest GD I've come across with my actual haplogroup (U152+) is 19

Then again, I have ZERO mtDNA matches as well.

Comment

Working...
            X