Proof Of Father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof Of Father

I am a female but can only do DNA for my mother's line. How does a female prove that her father is her biological father? Is there a test to prove this? My father's been dead for many years but I look like him and so do my son's. What if there was not any likeness? On the Maury Povich show, when a paternity DNA test is done, whether male or female, Maury says, "You Are The Father"! What kind of test tells this?

Nancy, that would be a simple paternity test. But if you don't have the father to test against it would be more complicated!

I am no expert but my dad has had a maternity test and I believe it is the same kind of thing. It goes SOMETHING like this: Every child receives 50% of their DNA from their mother and 50% from their father, therefore a female child will carry DNA from their father - just not the Y-DNA! I think that a test is more accurate if you have a child and BOTH parents tested - but it can be done with just child and one parent if necessary.

I'm afraid I don't know what they do when the father is no longer alive, it often depends on the company that you go to. If you search for a mainstream DNA company instead of a Genealogy DNA company you will no doubt find out more. We used a company based in England - I forget the name! But try a google search for "DNA paternity testing".

Comment

I just remembered - Cellmark was the company that we used!

http://www.cellmark.co.uk/whatispaternitytesting.html

That link gives you some details.

Comment

Proof Of Father

Hi Clare, Thanks for your reply. I understand it a little more now. Nan

Comment

Working...
        X