This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
    I to am interested in knowing whether my ancient ancestors where Scandinavian or what..... With roots in Scotland and a member of I1 its hard to say. But I don't think finding out what your ancient ancestors were makes you any better or worse.

I do get that feeling sometimes. Perhaps one day that will disappear.
    Maybe. I agree it doesn't make one any better or any worse. It's what we ourselves do with our own lives that counts. Our long-dead ancestors cannot live our lives for us.

Of course, I like to think that if I am a decent guy, my ancestors will be proud of me and not be ashamed to greet me when I get to heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
      Maybe. I agree it doesn't make one any better or any worse. It's what we ourselves do with our own lives that counts. Our long-dead ancestors cannot live our lives for us.

Of course, I like to think that if I am a decent guy, my ancestors will be proud of me and not be ashamed to greet me when I get to heaven.
      I don't see what moralizing about one's own life has to do with the search for one's ancestors and one's lineage over time. Evil and rotten people sitting in jail probably are just as curious about their lineage as prosperous hoytee toytee people; probably more so, since they have lots of time to think about things. And are we really certain that there will be ancestors waiting to greet us in "heaven"?

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
        I don't see what moralizing about one's own life has to do with the search for one's ancestors and one's lineage over time. Evil and rotten people sitting in jail probably are just as curious about their lineage as prosperous hoytee toytee people; probably more so, since they have lots of time to think about things. And are we really certain that there will be ancestors waiting to greet us in "heaven"?
        Everyone has a slight interest in their family tree even if they don't know it.

No we're not certain, its a belief, its also a nice thought, but don't get me wrong I'm not bashing any religions here. I believe there is some place we go and meet people from the past......

Comment

I believe we are living in a computer simulation.
          G.O.D. (Great Omnipotend Datacruncher) knows every one of my thoughts, my steps and whatnot. And its omnipresent in the simulated space. and of course it also has the ability to cheat.

And once I am dead, my personality file goes on the harddisc or the trashcan. dependant on if I am chosen to exist in another simulation or not.

One day, when G.O.D. 2.0 is activated with the brandnew paradise simulation, I hope my personality file is put to the "inhabitants folder" and I see some of my anchestors too.

Love the Matrix, dont fight it. :P

Comment

A lot of non-genealogists incorrectly assume that the only reason anyone is interested in family history is to somehow prove that we are better than someone else. They don't get it. It's plain curiosity -the lure of Terra Incognita.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Working...
            X