Ydna haplogroup I2b1 shorthand I-p217

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ydna haplogroup I2b1 shorthand I-p217

Everywhere I look I2b1 is not associated with shorthand I-p217. Any info. to help explain my haplogroup would be appreciated. I2b1 shorthand I-p217

Thank You.
    Last edited by lionstail; 18 June 2009, 12:01 PM. Reason: needed more definition.

FTDNA's haplotree shows P217 as I2b*.

I2b1* at FTDNA is called M223

At FTDNA, there is no I2b1.

At I.S.O.G.G. their haplotree shows that I2b1 is called M223.

They also call P217 I2b.

They leave their * in place with no defining shorthand.

See here: http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpI09.html

It is just the result of two haplotrees and nomenclature not matching up.

When speaking about FTDNA haplogroups, it is best to use their nomenclature.

When speaking about defining SNPs it is easier to use I.S.O.G.G. Usually, it is best to clarify the haplogroup you belong to as I2b-P217+ or I2b-P217 so everyone would be able to tell your haplogroup by it's defining SNP.

Here is the way some would like it, but you see it is cumbersome: I2b- M436/P214/S33, P216/S30, P217/S23, P218/S32
    Last edited by rucksack; 18 June 2009, 01:20 PM.

Comment

thank You for the info.

Comment

Further question

I have been assigned to Haplogroup I2 and have been tested negative at P214, P216, and P217. I am waiting result for P218. If this is positive am I right in thinking that I would be allocated to an undefined sub-clade of I2b? I find the sequence of negatives followed by a possible positive a bit difficult to understand.

I would appreciate a comment.

Comment

Originally posted by john franks View Post
          I have been assigned to Haplogroup I2 and have been tested negative at P214, P216, and P217. I am waiting result for P218. If this is positive am I right in thinking that I would be allocated to an undefined sub-clade of I2b? I find the sequence of negatives followed by a possible positive a bit difficult to understand.

I am not sure actually I am fairly new. The thing to do would be to post a new thread so it would get some of the more experienced guys attention. Sorry I couldnt help.

Comment

On the ISOGG (different tree organization than FTDNA)

Says this for I2b

I2b M436/P214/S33, P216/S30, P217/S23, P218/S32
            Perhaps you would be classified as I2b* as in not having any other SNPs that are positive?

Comment

Thanks for comments. I'll try to be patient and wait for FTDNA'S opinion.

Comment

Thanks for comments. I'll try to be patient and wait for FTDNA'S opinion.
                I'm not sure if its possible to be negative for every SNP that you listed but P218. It would probably be negative I think, making you I2b*..... but thats just my guess...

But yes wait for FTDNA's results.

Comment

Hi,

Can you please clarify for me?

Did you order the Deep Clade I test or did you order some other smaller tests?

Or, is this provided as a back bone because you had odd STR markers?

I ask this, because there should also be pending tests for P37.2 in that mix, at the very least.

Comment

Deep clade tests

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
                    Hi,

Can you please clarify for me?

Did you order the Deep Clade I test or did you order some other smaller tests?

Or, is this provided as a back bone because you had odd STR markers?

I ask this, because there should also be pending tests for P37.2 in that mix, at the very least.
                    Hi,
                    On ftdna's suggestion I ordered Deep Clade tests for L38 and P218. L38 has tested negative. I queried the delay on P218 and have just heard from Darren that the lab says "this Primer does not work so this SNP is no longer offered".

I am not sure what this means technically except that the test will not be done.

My haplogroup is defined as: I2 L38- L39- L40- M170+ M223- P214- P215+ P216- P217- P30- P37.2-

Comment

@ john franks

OK, so on FTDNA's y tree you are I2*

On I.S.O.G.G.'s tree you are I2

Their pages say: I2-M438 et al includes I2* which shows some membership from Armenia, Georgia and Turkey. [M438 aka P215].

http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_YDNA_SNP_Index09.html

Comment

Agreed rucksack. Thanks for your help.

Comment

@ john franks,

My paternal line is also I2* defined I2 M170+ M223- P215+ P217- P37.2- P38+
                          It is from Bulgaria, so fits to the actual I2* areal (tested, as predicted haplogroup may be wrong). It is in fact not so boring as I2a or I2b, it may stay at the root of the I tree and is open to more haplogroup discoveries.
                          Where are you from?
                          Some other forums advise not to take the Deep Clade test, but to extend to more markers. Here you can also work out your I subgroup.
                          http://knordtvedt.home.bresnan.net/ and then FounderHaps.xls

Comment

@ eastara,

I come from the Teesside area of NE England as does my earliest paternal ancestor, born late 1600s. Our location surname originates not far away in North Yorkshire or Cumbria.

Comment

Working...
                            X