Exact 25 Match - Different Surname?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exact 25 Match - Different Surname?

I've read the helpful information on the FTDNA website, but I was wondering if somebody could explain the ramifications of an exact 25 marker match but with a different surname in plain layman's terms.

Originally posted by JerryNicholson View Post
    I've read the helpful information on the FTDNA website, but I was wondering if somebody could explain the ramifications of an exact 25 marker match but with a different surname in plain layman's terms.
    If you are R1b, there are no ramifications, because you will match so many people in the database to whom you are not related within any meaningful time frame. Only a match on many more markers would be of interest.

Regards,
    Jim

Comment

Suggestions:

- misbegotten
      - adultery
      - migrated to the USA and changed name.

The last thing I stumbled over several times now.

I read about a guy from Germany, whos surname was "Singer". He changed it into "Merrit" right after he migrated to the USA. Just for the fun.

Also, I read that a lot of Americans with German surnames changed them into "English" ones during WW2, to cut off all connections to this enemy country....

Comment

The answer will also depend on your origins.

Scandinavian names are most often never matched up even in good paper trail connections, except when you get to the most distant known individual.

37 markers is a minimum for this type of search, and 67 is usually a must unless you have tight matches with someone the is already a known relative.

Comment

Many people after immigrating to the old country change their surname.

Names like McGowan can be changed to Smith. Or MacNicol to Nicholson or Nicholson to Nichols or something like that.

What is this 25/25 matches surname?

What are the Ysearch ID's?

Comment

Convergence is a real possibility, especially in R1b. There are a lot of R1b Europeans in the database. However, if you had a 25/25 match in haplogroup J, it would be a different matter. For example, I have only one 12/12 match and no 25 marker matches.

regards,

Comment

On the other hand....
              Why shoulnt it be the same with J?

There is as much J in the world as there is R1b.
              Just more R1b have made a DNA test.

Hmmm

Comment

All of the above is true, but I had an exact 25-marker match with a man born in Worcester, England, whose surname is not the same as mine. It took some time (I had to find out who he was first, because the match came from my "Ancestral Origins" page), but I finally got around to upgrading him to 67 markers.

To make a long story short, we now have a 65/67 match, which means we probably shared the same y-dna ancestor sometime within the last 350 years or so.

Moral of the story: it's worth following up on, surname or no surname.

Comment

Possibly an adoption.

Comment

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
                    Many people after immigrating to the old country change their surname.

Names like McGowan can be changed to Smith. Or MacNicol to Nicholson or Nicholson to Nichols or something like that.

What is this 25/25 matches surname?

What are the Ysearch ID's?
                    The surname is Doty and I can't find that one on ySearch. There are a bunch of Dotys sprinkled around in my matches. Actually, there is a Dalton at exactly 25 as well, but that's the only one of them I get a hit on.

Comment

The surname is Doty and I can't find that one on ySearch. There are a bunch of Dotys sprinkled around in my matches. Actually, there is a Dalton at exactly 25 as well, but that's the only one of them I get a hit on.
                      There is a Doty-Doughty DNA Project with 123 members, with a number of Dotys.
                      http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...ction=yresults

Clan Dalton have a project at FTDNA as well.

Comment

There were several name changes and variations when I put my family tree together, with no help from any relatives. There was one name, "Vial" that I suspect was originally Weil or etc., with the W pronounced like V in German. That came from Delaware in the early 1800's.

R1a1 & U5b2

Comment

Surnames not in common usage

Your MRCA may have been around before surnames were in common usage. One line started using your surname and the other line chose to use your close matches surname.

Comment

I've got 5 exact 25 marker matches with different surnames, but since they are not withing my exact Haplogroup (R1b1b2a1b4) the matching means exactly nothing.

Heck, I've got 67 matches with a genetic distance of 3, 4, 6 and 7, and their Haplogroup is not the same, so we're not related either.

Unfortunately FTDNA is not real good about explaining any of this. And it took a lot of stupid questions to finally figure it out. I'm dense on this stuff.

Then again, their 'My Matches' in the haplotree area is useless becaue it only lists 12 marker matches and the Ancestral Origins gives matches (12, 25, 37, 67 - depending on your preferences), but no Haplogroups.

Comment

Bart,

the thing that kills me about listing "matches" in the Haplogroup section are the majority "Origin Unknowns". The R1b1b2a1b5 to the left of each entry seems to be a link, but it doesn't go anywhere when clicked. Is it supposed to?

Comment

Working...
                              X