Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting page about English History

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Wobble/pa

Tell me what you think. I didn't make this page.

The maps are interesting.
    Last edited by spruithean; 12 June 2009, 06:15 PM.

The genetics component is very dated, largely based on Oppenheimer's book, The Origins of the British, and therefore pretty much obsolete.

R1b1b2 is too young to have spent the last Ice Age in Iberia, and R1b wasn't around those parts back then. The evidence is that R1b1b2 is about 6,000 years old and originated somewhere in the vicinity of the Black Sea.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
      The genetics component is very dated, largely based on Oppenheimer's book, The Origins of the British, and therefore pretty much obsolete.

R1b1b2 is too young to have spent the last Ice Age in Iberia, and R1b wasn't around those parts back then. The evidence is that R1b1b2 is about 6,000 years old and originated somewhere in the vicinity of the Black Sea.
      Thanks for that Stevo! I was reading it and thought "What?"

Cheers

Comment

I have an idea for future maps of the Atlantic Zone. How about including Morocco?
        In my DNATribes top 20 I have many matches to Portugal, and one to France, and two to Morocco. Morocco is on the Atlantic also, just across the water from the tip of southern Iberia. What if the last glacial refuge was actually in Morocco?
        If my next DNATribes update analysis gives me something else to talk about, I'll be sure to mention it.

My actual ancestry is (mostly) 3/4 Northwest European (mostly from the British Isles) and 1/4 Czechoslovakian. Rebecca Rolfe (a/k/a Pocahontas, from the 1600s) is in the part I count as 3/4 Northwest European, on my mothers side.
        Last edited by rainbow; 20 June 2009, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Wobble/pa

Tell me what you think. I didn't make this page.

The maps are interesting.
          I didnt see anything mentioned about i2b1 which is my ydna and my ancestory origin is England (by familytree) 3 step mutation on 37 markers also very low percent 0.1. In my opinion Its not detailed enough in some areas.

Comment

Originally posted by lionstail View Post
            I didnt see anything mentioned about i2b1 which is my ydna and my ancestory origin is England (by familytree) 3 step mutation on 37 markers also very low percent 0.1. In my opinion Its not detailed enough in some areas.
            True. But there is a map with I2 on a trail towards England.

But other then that there is barely anything on the Haplogroup I2 and its subclades.....

Comment

That is obviously to do with Y-DNA (males). But females in England seem more complex. U5b(1&2) apparently were originally Britons, but many were absorbed by the Saxons, etc. There are many U5b(1&2), for example, in or originally colonized in Virginia/Carolinas. I read that studies have shown that tidewater English colonists mostly came from Wessex, i.e. the earliest planters, etc. So that seems to say that the West Saxons married indigenous British women (?).
              Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 24 June 2009, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
                That is obviously to do with Y-DNA (males). But females in England seem more complex. U5b(1&2) apparently were originally Britons, but many were absorbed by the Saxons, etc. There are many U5b(1&2), for example, in or originally colonized in Virginia/Carolinas. I read that studies have shown that tidewater English colonists mostly came from Wessex, i.e. the earliest planters, etc. So that seems to say that the West Saxons married indigenous British women (?).
                What about MTDNA H1?
                My matrinlineal line is from Virginia, but the surname is from Cornwall, England.

And although the map shows that the Bristol area is Briton or Saxon, my mothers fathers side has some Jute English, from Bristol, England. The Jutes were originally from what is now Denmark. My top 20 DNATribes autosomal profile matches has always had Denmark, which I interpret as an English (Jute & Norman) match.
                Last edited by rainbow; 24 June 2009, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow View Post
                  What about MTDNA H1?
                  My matrinlineal line is from Virginia, but the surname is from Cornwall, England.

And although the map shows that the Bristol area is Briton or Saxon, my mothers fathers side has some Jute English, from Bristol, England. The Jutes were originally from what is now Denmark. My top 20 DNATribes autosomal profile matches has always had Denmark, which I interpret as an English (Jute & Norman) match.
                  I was avoiding haplogroup H because it is so huge and widespread in Europe. I think of U5b2, for example, as an indicator species (in ecological terminology). Also, I am U5b2. I sort of included the Bristol area in with Wessex, although U5 seems to be more concentrated there, and less so in Wessex proper (looking at a Sykes book). Anyway, there are a lot of U5's in Virginia or descended from Virginia.

Comment

Working...
                  X