No announcement yet.

My World view changed with my DNA result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its not better to judge people by their mtDNA than to judge them by skin colour.

This result doesnt change who you are, it just shows some detail of your ancestry and it should not force you to feel in another way about yourself than you did before.
    And its not a very big detail, of course it sounds important because you get a new brand saying "haplogroup H" but actually it is possible that its only a very small part of your DNA that is european, depends on the generation your european ancestress lived in. I guess it was not your grand-mother who was european, was she? So if it was your great-grandmother than means 12,5% - not that much, if that helps you.
    It is also possible that your maternal line is not european, because H does not only exist in Europa but also northern Africa, the Middle East and western parts of Asia.

Question: From what I understand about my mtDNA and please correct me if I'm wrong, it reaches back at least 1000 years more/less to the point where my genetic lineage comes to meet me today in the USA as I live.
    Your mtDNA as every other mtDNA reaches back to this one woman that we call mitochondrial Eve who lived about 175,000 years ago in Africa. Your result shows the route of migration that your female ancestral line took from Africa to the Middle East and then to Europe or some region near Europe.

Is there any way that my mtDNA could change locations?
    Can I change my mtDNA result?
    Dont know exactly what you mean with your first question but your mtDNA (and the mtDNA of your children and your daugthers children etc.) will always be the same. Of course there are changes in mtDNA but they happen incidentially and dont change the haplogroup, it will always stay group H.

Could it be wrong?
    No. Only if somebody in the lab made a mistake and mixed up the samples but that should not happen.

The original genetic marker is the same for everyone who takes this test and begins in Africa and travels around the globe until it ends, and my mtDNA stops in Europe?!
    In some way yes. If you follow up the maternal lines of every person you will end up 175,000 years ago at this one woman in Africa i mentioned above. Some people stayed in Africa others did not and travled around and your female line came to Europe. But of course the mtDNA changes all the time, no matter if people travel or dont, we just can see the travel routs by comparing todays mtDNA. The last stage or your route was Europe, yes, but the next one is Northern America where you live and in 20,000 years if some of your descendents do a test they maybe can see that their line came from Northern America (and was in Europe before).

I hope that helps you a little bit.

Comment

Most of us are quite mixed up when it comes to ancestors. I certainly am a mixed bag, even if all my ancestors appear to have come from Europe. But with the mitochondrial dna, well, there is something to do with metabolism and metabolic heat differences; supposed metabolic adaptation to cold climate, where "H" is supposed to be heat-generating (or something like that). So if a person is perceived to be Afro-American, it is assumed that he or she is vulnerable to cold injury. But if said person has the heat-generating variety of "H", for example, that assumption would be erroneous. I recall in the army, black troops were automatically considered vulnerable to cold injury. But maybe they should each be mtDNA tested to determine their metabolic heat range (or something like that).

Comment

Originally posted by VelvetVellocet View Post
        From what I know about my maternal side, there was no slavery associated with her family history they were northerners who lived on the West VA/Ohio border in the 1800's.
        I know I'm grasping at ideas but it makes me feel odd to know I have an H haplogroup, my physical appearance (which is only an expression of genes and alleles mixing up to make me look like who I am by DNA - I understand this point - plus my dad is E group and of African ancestry - accounts for my appearance) yet the world sees me as a black female and yet I can also look toward Europe for my genetic ancestry from my mother's mtDNA legacy.
        So, it seems that at some point in time a woman who was ancestrally European joined an African American lineage and her descendants have since identified as African American (likely re-enforced by social prejudice). On the face of it, that seems more likely to have occurred in the northern states although there is a history of inter-racial marriage in the Tidewater between white women and free men of color and property, and the very first recorded Africans in the Virginia colony were cargo on a foundered ship who were not enslaved. Slavery developed over time and was undone in time.

In 1776 The Quakers required members to free their slaves or face expulsion from their congegation, but that decree followed years of agitation (and emancipation) within the Society. In 1780 Massachusetts abolished slavery in their commonwealth and Pennsylvania adopted a policy of gradual emancipation. In 1784 Rhode Island and Connecticut followed Pennsylvania, followed by New York in 1799. The US banned importation of slaves in 1800 and New Jersey adopted gradual emancipation in 1804. In 1807 England and the US prohibited their citizens from engaging in the slave trade and in 1820 England began enforcing their ban with naval power. So, your African American family's presence on the Northwest frontier could be a story of a family of free people of color.
        Last edited by tomcat; 11 June 2009, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Not Including the Islands

History of Virginia
          1670: Blacks or Indians could no longer own white indentured servants

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post

In 1776 The Quakers required members to ... or face expulsion from their congegation, but
            Daniel Boone was expelled from the Quakers too (but apparently re-accepted later) for some infraction or other; something to do with his choice of girl to marry or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by VelvetVellocet View Post
              It's difficult to search ancestry.com records to find the original maternal ancestor who came to the USA because I only have one last name (paternal) and I can find nothing about his wife (my mtDNA link) online. I believe I must query the physical records of the states where I have knowledge of their residency to uncover the maternal last names. Does anyone on this forum have any help or links where I can find additional information?...
              Right, in order to discover maternal surnames you have to research state records for marriages under the paternal surname within a limited range of years in which the marriage could have taken place. Some states arrange such records by county or require you designate in which county the marriage occurred. You could also search church sacramental records for marriages, and/or search state birth records for children of a union that may or may not include the maternal surname. Once you have a maternal surname you can follow-up on that family through the census, and then in the same sorts of state records. Also avail yourself of the expertise of the appropriate FTDNA Surname project; someone in that project may be able able to fill in a gap or give you a lead if you get stuck, and your research results are an asset to a surname project!

Comment

For Velvet

I think once you get a chance to live with these results for a little while you'll see that you are, exactly who you've always been. No matter what you may perceive to be different or some kind of betrayal of your genes, is only a bunch of numbers and letters on a piece of paper. I'm sure you are the same terrific person, searching, intellegent, striving for answers and educated person that your parents raised. It is merely your own perception of what you are (as opposed to who your) that has changed. If you're happy in your own skin you should remain that way -- if you're suffereing as a result of finding that you may have had a European ancestor and that it suddenly affects the way you perceive yourself, then perhaps you're being too judgemental of yourself and what you think is your place in the universe.
                I've been working on my genetics for nearly 6 years. Both my parents are now deceased and obviously my grandparents too. So the only story I have left, aside from the few I learned as a child, are from my genes. My mother also had the H gene. Actually HV1, which I hear is rare. And yet I've located 20 other identical matches for my Full Genome (mita) and I'm thrilled. I'm thrilled to find others with whom I know I have an unbreakable connection. We've mostly e-mailed each other and found that most of our families are from within about 50 to 75 miles of each other, although none has yet found a common ancestor. We all like to talk, some of us have been in journalism, or writing or like words.
                I say, pursue the change, enbrace it. It may be a surprise to you, but it's what made you who and what you are. Celebrate the varieties of genomes. You are so much, you bring so many peoples together. Perhaps you are meant for very great things.

Comment

Originally posted by radio1 View Post
                  I think once you get a chance to live with these results for a little while you'll see that you are, exactly who you've always been. No matter what you may perceive to be different or some kind of betrayal of your genes, is only a bunch of numbers and letters on a piece of paper. I'm sure you are the same terrific person, searching, intellegent, striving for answers and educated person that your parents raised. It is merely your own perception of what you are (as opposed to who your) that has changed. If you're happy in your own skin you should remain that way -- if you're suffereing as a result of finding that you may have had a European ancestor and that it suddenly affects the way you perceive yourself, then perhaps you're being too judgemental of yourself and what you think is your place in the universe.
                  I've been working on my genetics for nearly 6 years. Both my parents are now deceased and obviously my grandparents too. So the only story I have left, aside from the few I learned as a child, are from my genes. My mother also had the H gene. Actually HV1, which I hear is rare. And yet I've located 20 other identical matches for my Full Genome (mita) and I'm thrilled. I'm thrilled to find others with whom I know I have an unbreakable connection. We've mostly e-mailed each other and found that most of our families are from within about 50 to 75 miles of each other, although none has yet found a common ancestor. We all like to talk, some of us have been in journalism, or writing or like words.
                  I say, pursue the change, enbrace it. It may be a surprise to you, but it's what made you who and what you are. Celebrate the varieties of genomes. You are so much, you bring so many peoples together. Perhaps you are meant for very great things.
                  Great post.

Veltvet, I think you should watch these videos on youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=804DmW87EoM Tom Joyner
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9SeE...eature=related Tina Turner

From these videos there will be more links to videos of many African American stars who found out that they have European ancestors.

Tina Turner got a DNA result of 33% European and next 0% Native American.

and all this time she thought she was at least quarter or something Native American....

Tom Joyner even discovered that he has a white ancestor.

Haplogroups have nothing to do with skin colour.

There is a user on here that had their yDNA tested and it turned out Haplogroup I1, a very Northern European haplogroup, and this user was African American.

Good luck Velvet,
                  spruithean

Comment

Working...
                  X