Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FGS Matches?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FGS Matches?

    Could someone tell me what an FGS match is?

  • #2
    That would be a match on the entire mtDNA, all the 16560 bases of it (FGS=full genome sequence). HVR1 and HVR2 are both about 600 bases, so they are only a small part of the mtDNA, although they are the most variable and so, base by base, the most informative.

    There aren't very many people who have tested their full sequence, so matches on the whole mtdna are extremely rare, at least for now.

    cacio

    Comment


    • #3
      But I am lucky enough to have 1.

      Geographically close to my most distant known mtDNA ancestor too. Less than 60 km.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am very close to one person with one mutational difference apart.It is 194T and I do not have that. We are both classified as J2ba1.Our nearest matches besides that are at a four or five mutational distance.

        This person ( and his family) have an ancestor who was born in Cork Ireland c. 1841 as do I. Neither of us know where but my checking out some names we think it may be on the Beara Peninsula and near to Bantry Bay.Lynch/Sweeney are common, alas


        This has helped my thinking with paper records.

        Comment


        • #5
          There is another poster, who may chime-in, with an FGS match (or near match) connected to a common Irish locale.

          I have read of two who mis-matched on HVR's matching perfectly in the coding region. Don't know if any have had an HVR match undone by a coding region mis-match. (The coding region is that portion of mtDNA not in HVR that is home to DNA that codes for enzymes, is chemically functional).

          Seems to me that one would want a perfect coding region match as predicate to evaluating HVR results.

          FYI, my closest GenBank match is a distance of 4 with 2 HVR and 2 coding region differences. And my 4 closest Mitosearch matches are perfect on HVR2 but with 1 difference in HVR 1. But I rather doubt 3 of those 4 would match me in the coding region (and if they ever opt to test FGS I may know for certain).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tomcat View Post
            There is another poster, who may chime-in, with an FGS match (or near match) connected to a common Irish locale.

            I have read of two who mis-matched on HVR's matching perfectly in the coding region. Don't know if any have had an HVR match undone by a coding region mis-match. (The coding region is that portion of mtDNA not in HVR that is home to DNA that codes for enzymes, is chemically functional).

            Seems to me that one would want a perfect coding region match as predicate to evaluating HVR results.

            FYI, my closest GenBank match is a distance of 4 with 2 HVR and 2 coding region differences. And my 4 closest Mitosearch matches are perfect on HVR2 but with 1 difference in HVR 1. But I rather doubt 3 of those 4 would match me in the coding region (and if they ever opt to test FGS I may know for certain).
            Well that was me and I did chime in..
            My close match wonders if it is his own personal mutation as it is very uncommon for J2 we are told.
            Unfortuntely he is told he has to test his siblings whole sequence to find out if they have it..

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tomcat View Post
              There is another poster, who may chime-in, with an FGS match (or near match) connected to a common Irish locale.

              I have read of two who mis-matched on HVR's matching perfectly in the coding region. Don't know if any have had an HVR match undone by a coding region mis-match. (The coding region is that portion of mtDNA not in HVR that is home to DNA that codes for enzymes, is chemically functional).

              Seems to me that one would want a perfect coding region match as predicate to evaluating HVR results.

              FYI, my closest GenBank match is a distance of 4 with 2 HVR and 2 coding region differences. And my 4 closest Mitosearch matches are perfect on HVR2 but with 1 difference in HVR 1. But I rather doubt 3 of those 4 would match me in the coding region (and if they ever opt to test FGS I may know for certain).
              And again my closest match and I mismatched on a HVR.We were NOT told we were matches by FTDNA but we contacted each other anyway and knew before we did the FGS that we each had a direct female ancestor with some common names c. 1841 in County Cork.

              We have a perfect coding region.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow View Post
                I am very close to one person with one mutational difference apart.It is 194T and I do not have that. We are both classified as J2ba1.Our nearest matches besides that are at a four or five mutational distance.

                This person ( and his family) have an ancestor who was born in Cork Ireland c. 1841 as do I. Neither of us know where but my checking out some names we think it may be on the Beara Peninsula and near to Bantry Bay.Lynch/Sweeney are common, alas


                This has helped my thinking with paper records.
                How did you find this person?

                I went through all of the J1b1 people at mitosearch with Ireland as an origin, not one of them has 16194T. I did the same for the J1b folks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rucksack View Post
                  How did you find this person?

                  I went through all of the J1b1 people at mitosearch with Ireland as an origin, not one of them has 16194T. I did the same for the J1b folks.
                  I think it is a plain old 194T on his HVRII? We are on Genbank also.
                  I think the 194T is unusal for J2ba1..per Jim Logan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for the information.

                    I'm trying to narrow down the hundreds of exact matches I have on my HVR1 region and recently opted to test my HVR2.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rucksack View Post
                      How did you find this person?

                      I went through all of the J1b1 people at mitosearch with Ireland as an origin, not one of them has 16194T. I did the same for the J1b folks.
                      How do you put in the country of origin in your searches on mitosearch?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by aidan View Post
                        How do you put in the country of origin in your searches on mitosearch?
                        The choices are:

                        Search by haplogroup

                        Then you need to select a haplogroup

                        Then you need to limit search by region

                        Then you get a drop down menu from which to choose.

                        The closest for "Ireland" is "British Isles"

                        Then I just look for Ireland in the country of origin, or if it is a HUGE haplogroup on the mitosearch pages, I just use my "edit" and "find" function by typing in Ireland or whichever place you are searching for.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rucksack View Post
                          The choices are:

                          Search by haplogroup

                          Then you need to select a haplogroup

                          Then you need to limit search by region

                          Then you get a drop down menu from which to choose.

                          The closest for "Ireland" is "British Isles"

                          Then I just look for Ireland in the country of origin, or if it is a HUGE haplogroup on the mitosearch pages, I just use my "edit" and "find" function by typing in Ireland or whichever place you are searching for.
                          Cheers!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow View Post
                            And again my closest match and I mismatched on a HVR.We were NOT told we were matches by FTDNA but we contacted each other anyway and knew before we did the FGS that we each had a direct female ancestor with some common names c. 1841 in County Cork.

                            We have a perfect coding region.
                            FGS matches (like HVR matches) must be perfect in order to qualify as FTDNA matches. But, as this case indicates, it could be useful if one could specify a range of difference such as in Ysearch.

                            I think Kathleen's discovery qualifies as a success story!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X