Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lack of Y-Haplogroup N

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lack of Y-Haplogroup N

    I tried searching through the forums for discussion on Y-Haplo N, but found very little. Everything seems to be centered around R1a,R1b,I,and J mostly. Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for more information on N.

    I have my 12 markers done and am waiting on the 37 marker and subclade testing.

    We can only trace my fathers side back a few generations to Slovakia. I expected us to be r1a or r1b, but got surprised with the N result. Am I right in thinking that we are most likely not from Slovakia originally if only 2% of the population there has that Haplogroup?

  • #2
    Originally posted by TWask View Post
    Am I right in thinking that we are most likely not from Slovakia originally if only 2% of the population there has that Haplogroup?
    Well.
    It basicly means, that during the early stone age, your people had not been with the majority of the Slovakian anchestors.

    But you COULD still have lived in Slovakia for the past 2000 years.
    In that case however should your Haplotype be more common in Slovakia than say in Finland or northern Russia (where N is more common in general)

    I hand you two maps that show where N can be found...
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      TWask,
      If you look at http://dna-forums.org/index.php?&CODE=00 you will find that there is a specific sub-forum for each Haplogroup, including N, but there are also many other discussions there that involves Y-Hg N. Also if you look at the FTDNA Home page you will find under Scientific Papers a few N specific papers, e.g. http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/Derenko2007.pdf.

      I'm also Hg N1c1* and I have traced my paternal line 9 generations back to 1600, all in Southern Norway where there are almost 0% HgN reported. I have over 100 12/12 matches in Finland, but at 37 markers the best matches I have found to-date are two 30/37 matches, not in Finland, but in UK! Good luck with your additional results. If you have not already done so you should join FTDNA N YDNA Family Group.

      Comment


      • #4
        As others were saying, N must have lived in Eastern Europe for a while, Besides, while small, 2% is not insignificant.

        N is common not only in Finland, but also in the Baltic states, Russia, and, to smaller extents, in parts of Eastern Europe. So N could have moved to Slocakia in early times, including prehistoric ones. It is also possible that it came as part of the various invasions of tribes from central asia (Huns and the like).

        cacio

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Svein Davidsen View Post
          TWask,
          If you look at http://dna-forums.org/index.php?&CODE=00 you will find that there is a specific sub-forum for each Haplogroup, including N, but there are also many other discussions there that involves Y-Hg N. Also if you look at the FTDNA Home page you will find under Scientific Papers a few N specific papers, e.g. http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/Derenko2007.pdf.

          I'm also Hg N1c1* and I have traced my paternal line 9 generations back to 1600, all in Southern Norway where there are almost 0% HgN reported. I have over 100 12/12 matches in Finland, but at 37 markers the best matches I have found to-date are two 30/37 matches, not in Finland, but in UK! Good luck with your additional results. If you have not already done so you should join FTDNA N YDNA Family Group.
          Did you check the Finland y-DNA project? Most members have not created ysearch accounts.

          http://fidna.info/pmw/index.php?n=En.YLive

          Comment


          • #6
            N has generally been associated with Uralic/ Finno-Ugric speaking populations. In Europe, these would be the Finns, the Karelians, the Estonians, the Hungarians. None of these groups are close to being solid N, but where the N percentage becomes larger, the more likely it is that one of these languages will be spoken.

            I suspect that Altaic & Turkic speaking people might also have a sizeable percentage of N.

            Slovakia is adjacent to Hungary, so I wouldn't be surprised if this suggests early Magyar ancestry.

            Timothy Peterman

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the quick replies. My Ysearch id is YPKFX. I ran myself through the database and saw that I have a 12/12 match with the German N Modal. Does this mean anything or is it more likely that when my 37 marker test comes back that I will fall back closer to the Eastern Europe Modal?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TWask View Post
                Thanks for the quick replies. My Ysearch id is YPKFX. I ran myself through the database and saw that I have a 12/12 match with the German N Modal. Does this mean anything or is it more likely that when my 37 marker test comes back that I will fall back closer to the Eastern Europe Modal?
                By the macthes from Ysearch, I dont think your anchestors had been too far from Slovakia.

                To me it seems, most matches are with either other Slovakians, Poles, Balts,Ukrainians with German surnames and Germans who are originally from the "Eastern Terretories" (now belonging to Poland and Russia), specially Eastern Prussia.

                iGENEAs ideas about Slovakias "Indigenous people" is btw:

                50% Teuton (continental Germanic, wich is without Scandinavians)
                42% Slavs
                8% Ashkinazi Jews

                Thats rounded up to match 100%. All other people less than 1%

                Wich does not mean, it cant be "Baltic" or "Finno Ugrian", its just these people are less than 1% of the lineages in Slovakia. Plus, your about -3 or -4 away from Baltic or Finnish N-Modals. So... hmm

                BTW, if you want to find true relatives of you, you need the 37 or 67 Marker tests anyways.

                Comment

                Working...
                X