mtDNA T2-Subclades,FGS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA T2-Subclades,FGS

I'm mtDNA haplogroup T2 ,I have T2b matches ,I'm not sure if that means T2b.

Anyway I'm considering getting the Full Genetic Sequence mtdna. I have about a dozen or so HVR1 and 2 matches and about five have taken the FGS.

I just ordered the 23andme test which may give me a subclade (like T2b2a...b..) but I havent got that back yet.

Do you think I should order the FGS or will getting a subclade from the 23andme test be enough to narrow down matches?

Is the FGS cost going to drop? Its pretty expensive and not that many people seem to have taken it.

Is it an all or nothing match or a matter of degree? I suppose an exact match would mean it was close family?

Thanks,
    Brian

Originally posted by brian87 View Post
    I'm mtDNA haplogroup T2 ,I have T2b matches ,I'm not sure if that means T2b.

Anyway I'm considering getting the Full Genetic Sequence mtdna. I have about a dozen or so HVR1 and 2 matches and about five have taken the FGS.

I just ordered the 23andme test which may give me a subclade (like T2b2a...b..) but I havent got that back yet.

Do you think I should order the FGS or will getting a subclade from the 23andme test be enough to narrow down matches?

Is the FGS cost going to drop? Its pretty expensive and not that many people seem to have taken it.

Is it an all or nothing match or a matter of degree? I suppose an exact match would mean it was close family?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Brian,

The FGS "occasionally" goes on sale for various haplogroups. The savings is not such that it would affect most peoples DNA spending habits.

As for matters of degree in matching, I believe there are no exceptions to coding region "mutations", when it comes to a "recent" common ancestor.

There are a couple of Hyper Variable Region markers that are sometimes considered "suspect", meaning they are markers that are not so stable from back and forth mutations.

The main one is in HVR2, and is 309.1C, which is considered a "hot spot" because of length heteroplasmy.

The main one in HVR1 is 16093C which is explained as the line above, but not nearly as often.

You might find a bit of explanation in the Santos paper of 2005 and 2008. I don't have the titles of the papers handy, perhaps someone here can provide a link.

An identical match on HVR1, HVR2 and the Coding Region indicates a common ancestress, it does not indicate anything closer in time unless you have a paper trail indicating such, and of course there is the possibility of isolated populations. My identical match comes from within 60 km of my most distant known ancestress, we still can not connect on paper, and it could be just a generation back from 1600, or it could be to as old as my sub-clade.

Comment

Brian do the FGS

I had my FGS done last summer and it was amazing. I was one of the last of a group of people who share the same HVR1 and HVR2 who were communicating with each other. There was a significant price break at the time (I'm sure if you contact FTdna they'll grant you one) these are difficult times and I'm guessing they'll be happy to make some money as opposed to no money, right now.
      I was one of 18 people who were identical matches and our known ancestors came from within about 50 to 75 miles of each other in eastern europe. But it was inspirational for us to them communicate in earnest, one person collected data from the rest of us and has put together preliminary results of names, dates, cities, professions, photos looking for some familial resemblence, etc.
      I have since done the 23andme spit test and while I love reading about the genetic predispositions, research and reports..... I haven't learned a thing about how close I might be to another person there. At least not in the same way. It's like apples and oranges. I say go for the Full Genome Sequence.

Comment

That is great for you radio 1. You are lucky to have found matches.

Unfortunately for me I have no FGS matches at all, even though I have 6178 HVR1 matches and 160 HVR2 matches. So brian87, you might be disappointed after spending all of that money and then finding out you do not match anybody.

Comment

Working...
        X