Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lack of interest in DNA, or typical lull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
    FTDNA may want to consider offering a "sale" on marker upgrades, as they did at one point last year (or was that in 2007?).
    I just got an email from FTDNA stating that indeed, marker upgrades go "on sale" starting tomorrow:
    ---
    The offer will last from May 14th through May 23nd . On average, the reduced prices will be 25% lower than the standard upgrade price.
    ---

All the friends for whom I have bought DNA tests will now be expecting me to upgrade them to 67 markers. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
      I just got an email from FTDNA stating that indeed, marker upgrades go "on sale" starting tomorrow:
      ---
      The offer will last from May 14th through May 23nd . On average, the reduced prices will be 25% lower than the standard upgrade price.
      ---

All the friends for whom I have bought DNA tests will now be expecting me to upgrade them to 67 markers. :-)
      I got the same email...... interesting.... My cousin is thinking on upgrading to 67 markers..... very interesting. Perhaps now we both can upgrade???

Comment

I have had 4 people order upgrades already today with the sale in my Surname Groups. Two of my distant cousins also.
        This may really generate some orders and interest.
        Kathleen

Comment

I'm bored because no one comes close to remotely matching me, and there's a lot of misdirected research into making things like 'tribes scores' which were based on groups of modern people, not tribes that really existed.

IMO, nothing's going to get really interesting until about 5 years after full genome sequencing, which is 5 years off, on top of that. When we can start testing people in huge amounts, based on medical arguments, then we'll be able to stop guessing and start making progress. The fuzzy guesswork we're stuck with at the moment is the source of the problem.

And, I don't get people's interest in results of 12-marker tests. So, we have a common ancestor, 5-20,000 years ago? So what? For what's been predicted, all Europeans may have a common ancestor only 1000 years old.

Without anything close to 60+ marker matches, it really means nothing.
          Last edited by jr76x; 22 May 2009, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jr76x View Post
            based on groups of modern people, not tribes that really existed.
            www.igenea.com

And, I don't get people's interest in results of 12-marker tests. So, we have a common ancestor, 5-20,000 years ago? So what? For what's been predicted, all Europeans may have a common ancestor only 1000 years old.
            12 marker tests dont show someones common anestor, but are usualy enough to put you to a tribe. Just what you want.

And matching someone 12/12 does at least MATHEMATCALLY mean.... common anchestor 800 years ago, not 20.000) Its just the problem that it means nothing, because you can match 12/12 by pure random mutations.

Comment

For what's been predicted, all Europeans may have a common ancestor only 1000 years old.
              And that for example cannot be, because in that case, all Europeans would have the same haplogroups.

There had however been really few people still.

1000 AD:
              Iberian Peninsular: 7 Million
              France: 6 Million
              Italian pensinular: 5 Million
              Germany+Switzerland+Austria: 4 Million
              British Isles: 1.7 Million

a "few" years earlier:

600 AD:
              Iberian Peninsular: 3.6 Million
              France: 3 Million
              Italian pensinular: 2.4 Million
              Germany+Switzerland+Austria: 2.1 Million