Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More than 220 12/12 Y-matches, what would it mean?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More than 220 12/12 Y-matches, what would it mean?

    I got more than 220 12/12 Y matches. Highest percentage (0.8%-0.4%) of matchees origin's burthplaces have Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England, and Portugal (By the way, why Portugal? It seems to me like it drops out of geographical consecquence). And other contries presented at less percentage, all except Russia, were I was born. I know my genealogy for four generation: they were Sibirian Cossacs and certainly could be recruited (or originated at other way) from the Western mercenaries or war prisoners.
    My newcomer's ouestion is: what is an average number of 12/12 Y matches should be an usual?

    Thanks,
    Vasiliy

  • #2
    Originally posted by vasiliy View Post
    I got more than 220 12/12 Y matches. Highest percentage (0.8%-0.4%) of matchees origin's burthplaces have Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England, and Portugal (By the way, why Portugal? It seems to me like it drops out of geographical consecquence). And other contries presented at less percentage, all except Russia, were I was born. I know my genealogy for four generation: they were Sibirian Cossacs and certainly could be recruited (or originated at other way) from the Western mercenaries or war prisoners.
    My newcomer's ouestion is: what is an average number of 12/12 Y matches should be an usual?

    Thanks,
    Vasiliy
    If your type is R1b, it would be typical to have hundreds of exact matches at 12 markers.

    Regards,
    Jim

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck View Post
      If your type is R1b, it would be typical to have hundreds of exact matches at 12 markers.

      Regards,
      Jim
      If you are I1, the situation could be the same.

      John

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by vasiliy View Post
        I got more than 220 12/12 Y matches. Highest percentage (0.8%-0.4%) of matchees origin's burthplaces have Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England, and Portugal (By the way, why Portugal? It seems to me like it drops out of geographical consecquence). And other contries presented at less percentage, all except Russia, were I was born. I know my genealogy for four generation: they were Sibirian Cossacs and certainly could be recruited (or originated at other way) from the Western mercenaries or war prisoners.
        My newcomer's ouestion is: what is an average number of 12/12 Y matches should be an usual?

        Thanks,
        Vasiliy
        I would urge you to upgrade to more markers and not put much faith in just 12. That's too few. I have exact 12-marker matches with men who are in subclades other than my own.

        I would also recommend you order FTDNA's Deep Clade-R test from the link on your "Haplotree" page in order to find out to which subclade of R1b1b2 you belong. If by chance you turn out to be L21+, please join the R-L21 Project.

        Do you have a Ysearch ID?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by vasiliy View Post
          My newcomer's ouestion is: what is an average number of 12/12 Y matches should be an usual? Thanks, Vasiliy
          1) It means you have a VERY common 12 marker Haplotype.
          2) It means you need to upgrade to at least 37 markers before starting to put much faith in a match. You may want to look at 67 markers.

          The average number of matches really doesn't tell you anything about your results, because it is just that. It is an average and most people aren't average. I'm a predicted R1b1b2 and I only have 16 exact 12 marker matches. I have men in my Powell surname project who have 100's of exact 12 marker matches. Some have ordered SNP tests and others haven't. They all fall off of the R1b1b2 branch.

          I haven't ordered a SNP test and don't plan to for some time because the tree keeps growing and the prediction process keeps improving. If I had ordered a SNP test the first time I was able to I would have needed to order additional tests at least twice since then to stay current. I'll wait until someone shows me a reason I really need a SNP test. Until then I'll save that money.

          Comment


          • #6
            More than 220 12/12 Y-matches, what would it mean?

            Hi Stevo,

            My kit # N51984, my predicted subcade is R1b1b2*.
            If the hundreds mathces for such a haplogroup is the normal, and because I have a common ancestor with every 120th North Irelander (I know that I used an invalid definition), would it mean that most of current Northen Ireland population are decsendants of some one hundred males? It's amazing, but seems to me as a result of the natural selection.
            In my particular case I have no any expectations to trace my geanealogy with DNA search. Obviously my Irish (if Irish) ancestor lived handreds (or thousands) years ago.
            I propose only to upgrade my test to 37 markers, in consideration of the exotic events like adoption etc.

            Thanks,
            Vasiliy

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by vasiliy View Post
              Hi Stevo,

              My kit # N51984, my predicted subcade is R1b1b2*.
              If the hundreds mathces for such a haplogroup is the normal, and because I have a common ancestor with every 120th North Irelander (I know that I used an invalid definition), would it mean that most of current Northen Ireland population are decsendants of some one hundred males? It's amazing, but seems to me as a result of the natural selection.
              In my particular case I have no any expectations to trace my geanealogy with DNA search. Obviously my Irish (if Irish) ancestor lived handreds (or thousands) years ago.
              I propose only to upgrade my test to 37 markers, in consideration of the exotic events like adoption etc.

              Thanks,
              Vasiliy
              Vasiliy,

              You should order the Deep Clade-R if you can because you are Russian. We need more data on R1b1b2s from Russia, and it might answer some questions for you.

              My YSearch ID is HX9ZF. Please contact me through YSearch.org (just run my YSearch ID for genetic matches). I might have some information you are interested in.

              My wife is Russian, and I lived in Russia for awhile back in 2000-2001.

              Comment


              • #8
                More than 220 12/12 Y-matches, what would it mean?

                Hi Stevo,

                My Y Search ID is YZDWK. I compared our markers. There is no substential match.

                Thanks to everybody for responding,
                vasiliy

                Comment

                Working...
                X