No announcement yet.

Next step? Deep Clade or more markers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next step? Deep Clade or more markers?

I tested a J2 M172 L26-L27- and have completed a 37 marker test. It was recommended to have a deep clade test, also the additional markers. Which one would be best to do first? What additional information will the deep clade test give me? I tested negative for L26 and L27. Does the deep clade test for all the others?

Are you a member of the haplogroup J project? The administrator of that project is one of the most knowledgeable about your haplogroup, and can give you the best advice based on your specific results and how you fit in with the haplogroup.

For instance, if your haplotype matches a cluster for which the SNP results are already known, she might recommend you upgrade to 67 instead. Or, you may have an unusual haplotype which prevents her from predicting your subclade, so she might recommend the deep-clade test instead.

If you're not already a member of the J project, you can join from here:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Y-DNA_J

And the project admin's email address is at the top of that page.

Which test you do next also depends on your goals. If you're strictly interested in genealogy and have 37-marker matches that you want to refine, then upgrading to 67 would accomplish that. But if you're interested in deep ancestry and want to know your subclade, then the deep-clade test would accomplish that.

Either way, I still recommend consulting with the J project admin to see what insight she has for you.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
      Are you a member of the haplogroup J project? The administrator of that project is one of the most knowledgeable about your haplogroup, and can give you the best advice based on your specific results and how you fit in with the haplogroup.

For instance, if your haplotype matches a cluster for which the SNP results are already known, she might recommend you upgrade to 67 instead. Or, you may have an unusual haplotype which prevents her from predicting your subclade, so she might recommend the deep-clade test instead.

Which test you do next also depends on your goals. If you're strictly interested in genealogy and have 37-marker matches that you want to refine, then upgrading to 67 would accomplish that. But if you're interested in deep ancestry and want to know your subclade, then the deep-clade test would accomplish that.

Either way, I still recommend consulting with the J project admin to see what insight she has for you.

Elise
      Thanks Elise. I am in the J project and will check it out further there.

Comment

What are you trying to learn?

Originally posted by Wiser09 View Post
        I tested a J2 M172 L26-L27- and have completed a 37 marker test. It was recommended to have a deep clade test, also the additional markers. Which one would be best to do first? What additional information will the deep clade test give me? I tested negative for L26 and L27. Does the deep clade test for all the others?
        What are you trying to learn? Are you looking for people who share a common recent (last few 100 years) paternal ancestor or are you wanting to learn about a possible paternal line origin? Do you have close 37 marker matches? If not, an upgrade probably won't find new matches.

The longer you wait to be tested for deep clade the greater the chance there will be additional SNP's to test for.

I haven't even ordered a backbone test. When FTDNA frist predicted my Haplogroup I was a R1b1, now I'm a R1b1b2. I have no idea what they will be calling me in a few years. If I had ordered a Deep clade test when I was first tested I doubt if I would know any more than I do today and I still have the money I didn't spend on that test.

Comment

I agree with Jim

I had the backbone test done more than a year ago. It did not tell me much beyond I am +M172. Now, I am far more interested in the scientific world identifiying SNPs that are specifically associated with certain tribes, religious groups, ethnicities and regions/ populations, before I test any further.

Comment

J project

Originally posted by efgen View Post

Elise
            I find the logic behind all the haplotype clusters, hard to follow in the J project. For example, what is a Jewish cluster? Are there haplotypes that worship in synagogues on our DNA, discovered by scientists? On the other hand, as an Indian from India, how meaningful is it for me to be packaged in a haplotype cluster with some Irish J2s? So, I have actually removed myself from this project, until there are more SNP discoveries, less speculating and greater accuracy in the field.
            Last edited by bob_chasm; 19 April 2009, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Really depends on what you want to do, for many of us the Deep SNP is the way to go rather than just getting more markers tested. I have a lot of my markers tested and not much has come out of it. I even did autosomal and nothing much except lately a possibility of identifying a lineage to Tunisia. I can't absolutely say for sure this is accurate because there's no much for laymen to use Omnipop or CODIS correctly. I think I've learned more about my faceless ancestry by Deep SNP testing. You can always add markers to be tested as needed, but I highly suggest getting your Deep SNP tested so at least you can get an idea of where your "deep" ancestry originates for starters. I've always have been a proponent of FTDNA just doing the Deep SNP as part of the 37 marker package. The 12 marker package is useless, even more so without Deep SNP testing. Good luck.

Arch

Comment

Working...
              X