Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to expect with mtDNA test?

What should I expect with a mtDNA test?

Which is the best test to start with? mtDNA? mtDNAPlus, mtDNA Full Sequence?

I am getting curious about my mtDNA haplogroup...... I can trace my maternal family on the direct mothers, mothers, mothers, mothers line to Westeremden, Groningen, Netherlands.

Is there anything I could study about mtDNA of the Netherlands?

Thanks for any responses

As far as I know, the mtdna of the Netherlands is similar to that of northern/western Europe in terms of the main haplogroups present. But I cannot recall any specific papers.

In terms of which one to do, it depends on your interest or your willingness to spend.

The basic HVR1 test will tell you your haplogroup. However, it is rare to discover mutations in HVR1 that are very informative. Usually, if one gets matches, one gets matches all over Europe.

The full sequence is definitive, in the sense that it tests all the mtDNA (ie, you won't need any other test). It gives much more information, and is potentially able to find more recent relations (though we're still talking about hundreds or possibly thousands of years, it's never as detailed as what the Y tests can do). Unfortunately, few people have tested so far, so there are few people to compare oneself with. And the other downside is the cost, of course.

I started with HVR1 then went on to do the FGS (twice actually...). If money is no problem and if there's interest, I would go for the FGS. Otherwise, one can start with HVR1 and then move on later. HVR2 (tested in the mtdnaplus) rarely gives much information in addition to HVR1, so perhaps it's not worth it.

but that's my take

cacio

Comment

Originally posted by cacio View Post
      As far as I know, the mtdna of the Netherlands is similar to that of northern/western Europe in terms of the main haplogroups present. But I cannot recall any specific papers.

In terms of which one to do, it depends on your interest or your willingness to spend.

The basic HVR1 test will tell you your haplogroup. However, it is rare to discover mutations in HVR1 that are very informative. Usually, if one gets matches, one gets matches all over Europe.

The full sequence is definitive, in the sense that it tests all the mtDNA (ie, you won't need any other test). It gives much more information, and is potentially able to find more recent relations (though we're still talking about hundreds or possibly thousands of years, it's never as detailed as what the Y tests can do). Unfortunately, few people have tested so far, so there are few people to compare oneself with. And the other downside is the cost, of course.

I started with HVR1 then went on to do the FGS (twice actually...). If money is no problem and if there's interest, I would go for the FGS. Otherwise, one can start with HVR1 and then move on later. HVR2 (tested in the mtdnaplus) rarely gives much information in addition to HVR1, so perhaps it's not worth it.

but that's my take

cacio
      Thank you Cacio for your response.

You've been very helpful.

I hope to order the test soon.....

FGS seems a bit expensive..... mtDNA Plus (HVR1&2) and mtDNA (HVR1) seem to be at a more pleasant price.

Comment

Working...
      X