Absolutely no matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are not alone

Part of the reason I did the Y-dna test is that I'm adopted with no information on my biological family. I went ahead and had them do the 67-marker panel, just in case there should be a match.

From 1 through 67, I have 0 matches. My user preferences are set to compare to the entire database. Under the haplogroup tab, where there's a "My Matches" tab, I have no 1-step mutations, no 2-step mutations, 5 3-step and 4 4-step. As I understand it, my most recent common ancestor with any of those people would've been about 1,900-2,000 years ago.

I entered my values in the other sites, like ysearch. Zero matches.

And so I wait until such time that someone related happens to do a test and shows up somewhere.

C'est la vie!

Comment

Originally posted by Chevre View Post
      My haplogroup is R1b1b2 and my surname is Underwood
      R1b1b2 is a pretty common Haplogroup (but apparently your 12 Marker signature isn't!).... but if you do SNP testing you might find yourself as an R1b1b2a1b or something along those lines.

Chevre, is your ySearch ID QUWYV by any chance? If so you are missing DYS 389-2.....
      Last edited by spruithean; 8 April 2009, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Absolutely no matches

My results are set against the entire database and QUWYU is not my user name on Ysearch.

Like cndctr I have NO matches within the FTDNA system or on Ysearch. And in "My Matches" I have absolutely no 1-step, 2-step, 3-step or 4-step matches.

Would the SNP test be a good next step to refine my R1b1b2 or do you think an upgrade to 37 markers would be more worthwhile?

I have many male cousins and could ask for one of them to join- just to be sure I am not barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers

Comment

My results are set against the entire database and QUWYU is not my user name on Ysearch.

Like cndctr I have NO matches within the FTDNA system or on Ysearch. And in "My Matches" I have absolutely no 1-step, 2-step, 3-step or 4-step matches.

Would the SNP test be a good next step to refine my R1b1b2 or do you think an upgrade to 37 markers would be more worthwhile?

I have many male cousins and could ask for one of them to join- just to be sure I am not barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers
          Right now if you are more interested in the genealogy side of things then an upgrade to 37 markers would be good. Testing male relatives who descend directly from the same paternal ancestor is also a good thing.

What is your ySearch ID?

Good luck Chevre

Comment

Absolutely no matches

On the haplogroup link on my FTDNA personal page, I see the "tree" and some text. AT the bottom of the text box, is a button that says continue. When I press that button, FTDNA shows me which SNP's are available for me for testing. The input I get from them is that all of my closest matches at 67 markers will wind up with the exact same numbers at the end of the haplogroup. I am an R1b1b2 and have verified it with a deep subclade test. But they keep finding new SNP's which I think may be part of the FTDNA bailout package from the government.
            Anyway, in answer to my email, FTDNA says that if I want to track my Celtic ancestors from the steppes of Russia across Europe to Gaul or from Spain if I really need to go beyond R1b1b2.
            If I am content to be native Ulster Irish, there is no big rush from more SNP's. That is really good because they first gave me four SNP's for testing. A couple of months later they added three more some of which I believe mutually conterindicated.
            Those that set their preferences across the data base did good.

Comment

I have a very uncommon DNA signature and not ONE match at all on the 12 marker. I have posted the Y-DNA result on Ysearch.org but again not one match, nothing at all. I have a very common English surname.

Anyone out there with the same problem- no matches at all?
              I really wouldn't feel all bad about that. I have 8 exact matches at 12, and am pretty confident not one of them match up in under 25+ generations. They're all from Ireland, England, etc - which means our common ancestor literally had to be living around the lower Danube, where mine would split off to, his later descendants moving north towards where the Anglo-Saxons were, join them in invading the country, etc., etc.

I don't disagree with the statistics, but the bottom line to this all is that <0.001% of the population is doing this, so nothing's gonna be perfect.

Comment

Some additional thoughts

>> Anyway, in answer to my email, FTDNA says that if I want to track my
                >> Celtic ancestors from the steppes of Russia across Europe to Gaul or
                >> from Spain if I really need to go beyond R1b1b2.
                >> If I am content to be native Ulster Irish, there is no big rush from more
                >> SNP's. That is really good because they first gave me four SNP's for testing.

First a word of caution. I am not sure if you have a familytree, and if so how far back it goes. With some average luck you will get back to 10 generations or so meaning > 1000 ancestors (1st generation back = parents = 2, 2nd generation = grandparents = 4 etc, 10th generation back = 2^10 = 1024) going back to ~1700. If you now map the birthplace of all those 1000+ ancestors you will most likely find a considerable geographic spread with some coming from surprisingly far. Only then you can start to state whether you are "native" xyz or a blend of many. You are - as many ppl - probably refering strictly to your male ancestry line, which is fine, but it does not necessarily define your roots. If you don't have a familytree (yet) you should consider also your mtDNA haplotype/group and look at the spread between them as a further clue.

The more common your surname the more likely you would NOT find a match, obviously there is a reason other than extreme fertility that so many ppl ended up with the same surname!

Then wrt to 12/12 etc. I did not have a perfect match either, not even close, while my haplogroup is one of the R1b++. All it means is that - and in fact this is quite useful, much more then a 12/12 match - the group of people to who you are most likely related in a very distant past are not from the region where right now most of the records stem from (British Isles etc). In my case that is most likely south of France which is - for obvious reasons - underrepresented in Ysearch. So in some ways a lets say best 9/12 match caries much more information then a 12/12 match which is pretty useless. Of course there are fairly simple statistical formulas that will tell you the odds of getting a 12/12 match etc.

37 and 67 STR tests are useful if you are working on your familytree and have familylines with the same (or similar) surname but you are not sure if they are family, more markers is better. The shorter back in time, the more accurate these comparisons become. 37 is the minimum, you could always upgrade to 67 later when more markers are needed to confirm.

Comment

Working...
                X