Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hi. I'm new here so please be patient with me if I don't know exactly what I'm talking about. I had the mtDNA test done through the Genographic Project and just recently received my results.

It says I belong to Haplogroup H , Subclade H. Everywhere I read though it goes from H1-H16, I can't find just an H. Do I need to have the refine test done?

Also, I've tried the matching options here and on mitosearch. On here I get only one low resolution match and on Mitosearch I get quite a few for one mutation (16519C) and I can't get a match anywhere for the mutation
    16261G. Is this unusual?

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kelle,

mtDNA is divided into 3 sections that are traditionally tested -- HVR1, HVR2 and the coding region. Genographic only tests for HVR1. There is a refine test available at FTDNA which will add on HVR2. However, while testing HVR1+HVR2 may refine your list of matches, it won't refine your subclade.

Many of the subclade-defining mutations are in the coding region, and the only way to test that is to upgrade to the mtFullSequence or FGS (full genome sequence). For comparison, the HVR1 and HVR2 tests each include 500-600 locations on the mtDNA, while the full mtDNA is 16,000+ locations.

FTDNA did previously offer a "subclade test" where they tested specific mutations that defined subclades H1-H16, but new subclades kept getting discovered, and they couldn't keep updating this test to keep up with all the new subclades, plus they would have had to go back and re-test people who had already been tested to see if they were in the new subclades. It just wasn't feasible. So now the only option is the FGS, which will give you ALL your mutations up front -- then when new subclades are discovered, you'll already have all your mutations for comparison and won't have to be tested again.

As you'll see on your order page, the FGS is a bit pricey. There is currently a discount available for people in haplogroup H though, good through the end of April, I believe. The discount price is $331, and this should be the price listed on your order page (it's normally around $400-$450).

I'm not that familiar with mutations in haplogroup H, but I can tell you that 16519C is an extremely common mutation.

The match list on your FTDNA site will only show *exact* matches -- if your 16519C and 16261G are your only mutations, then your match list will only show people who have both of those. So it sounds like you have one exact match in the FTDNA database.

Ysearch, however, will enable you to see exact matches and those who have 1 mutation more or 1 mutation less than you. So you're probably seeing matches with people who have 16519C, but don't have your 16261G. With mtDNA, you really need an exact match on all your mutations for it to be potentially meaningful within genealogical timeframe.

Elise
    Last edited by efgen; 3 April 2009, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Yes,
      Get the HVR2 test done.

Comment

Hi Kelle,

I believe Elise meant to refer you to www.mitosearch.org, not ysearch, which is for male yDNA. Also, if you have the FGS done, there is the possibility that health-related issues could be identified, so you may want to consider whether or not you want to be aware of such issues before ordering it.

Vinnie

Comment

Yes, of course, I meant to write Mitosearch rather than Ysearch That's what I get for multi-tasking!

As for the health-related issues, yes, there are potentially some that could be found through FGS testing, but I believe they are rare conditions. Things like risk for heart disease, parkinson's, alzheimer's, etc can't be determined from FGS testing.

FTDNA doesn't do any medical analysis, and it will be completely up to you to decide whether you want to share your full FGS results with other people or not.

And finally, I completely forgot to mention the mtDNA H project, which you should definitely considering joining:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public...%20Haplogroup/

Elise

Comment

Working...
          X