Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed

Hi,
    Someone has had a look at Mum's profile at DeCodeMe and they have said, that IF Mum's maternal side is English (which they do seem to be despite the confusion with the mtdna given that is one small line in many every line seems to be English) then her father would not be of typical English ancestry and would be of Eastern European/Russian descent. Given his surname was Johnson, I can only think it was his mother who would have been of this descent (unless his family Anglisised their name-did people do this?) so will be looking into what comes up via the X info I have.

I am now trying to put whatever bits of info I do have on him together with this.
    He was described as "Italian looking" with dark hair and eyes. He had a drawl (presumably from the southern states?) Mum is olive skinned, I am a sort of sallow yellow Mum was called Eastern European once lol.
    AbDNA Euro said she has no middle East score, 65% NEuro, 12% SEuro and 22% South Asian. We both got EA matches with AbDNA.
    Tribes has her top match as Slovenia, followed by Bosnia and a total of 8 East Europe countries in her native panel together with Scotland, Ireland, France, Lodz, and are very similar for global except there is Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo and Malaysia.
    Central Asian panel:
    Roma (Republic of Macedonia) (0.56) 176.77
    Uzbek (Xinjiang, Chinese Turkestan) (0.73) 134.52
    Eastern Anatolia, Turkey (0.38) 34.09
    Roma (Eastern Slovakia) (0.18) 19.36
    Roma (Greece) (0.4)
    Tribes say profile typical of someone with between 1/4 and 1/8 South Asian ancestry. So what is going on?! Can anyone see any kind of relationship between this and a type of Eastern European/Russian peoples?

Please let me know as I would love to find out!!!
    Last edited by burto; 2 April 2009, 12:22 PM.

Surnames were changed -Anglicized-on a regular basis. Even today when a person becomes a naturalized citizen of the U.S.A. they can either keep their name as it was or change it to anything they want. Sometimes just the Italian endings of i or o were dropped. Fontinelli becomes Fontinell. I grew up in NYC and knew only one family named Johnson. They were Italian & Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by burto View Post
      Hi,
      Someone has had a look at Mum's profile at DeCodeMe and they have said, that IF Mum's maternal side is English (which they do seem to be despite the confusion with the mtdna given that is one small line in many every line seems to be English) then her father would not be of typical English ancestry and would be of Eastern European/Russian descent. Given his surname was Johnson, I can only think it was his mother who would have been of this descent (unless his family Anglisised their name-did people do this?) so will be looking into what comes up via the X info I have.

I am now trying to put whatever bits of info I do have on him together with this.
      He was described as "Italian looking" with dark hair and eyes. He had a drawl (presumably from the southern states?) Mum is olive skinned, I am a sort of sallow yellow Mum was called Eastern European once lol.
      AbDNA Euro said she has no middle East score, 65% NEuro, 12% SEuro and 22% South Asian. We both got EA matches with AbDNA.
      Tribes has her top match as Slovenia, followed by Bosnia and a total of 8 East Europe countries in her native panel together with Scotland, Ireland, France, Lodz, and are very similar for global except there is Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo and Malaysia.
      Central Asian panel:
      Roma (Republic of Macedonia) (0.56) 176.77
      Uzbek (Xinjiang, Chinese Turkestan) (0.73) 134.52
      Eastern Anatolia, Turkey (0.38) 34.09
      Roma (Eastern Slovakia) (0.18) 19.36
      Roma (Greece) (0.4)
      Tribes say profile typical of someone with between 1/4 and 1/8 South Asian ancestry. So what is going on?! Can anyone see any kind of relationship between this and a type of Eastern European/Russian peoples?

Please let me know as I would love to find out!!!
      When you retrieve the records with your grandfather's full name at http://aad.archives.gov/aad/fielded-...at=GP23&bc=,sl

how many records are there from southern states? More like 10 or more like 10,000?

Regards,
      Jim

Comment

There are many different accents in the US. Even a drawl varies from place to place. I have trouble understanding most accents. There was a tv show that had a Greek person speaking English but it sounded like a drawl to me. Maybe your Johnson wasnt from a southern state but had an accent from his parents? I dont know if eastern europeans moved to the south. I always thought that they tended to stay in NYC or Chicago or metropolitan areas where they stayed clustered near others who were of the same ethnic group and language. Of course their are exceptions-my Czechoslovakian side moved to rural Hunterdon County, NJ.

Comment

Hi,
          Do her results from all these tests suggest Eastern European ancestry? I don't know what the ethnic makeup of this group are? Is there a particular area that would match to all of it?
          Last edited by burto; 2 April 2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I see you changed your signature to "What am I?". To me you are English. But I understand your search. I wish there was a database of the names of all US men who were abroad and lists when they were in each city or region. And includes their photos, because I doubt most women would jot down a man's serial number. A face is memorable. I wish there was a database like that available to the descendants in all countries in Europe and Asia etc. There isnt any database like that that i know of, but i think the government may have something like that but they keep it to themselves. What you need is an insider.

Comment

Hi Rainbow,
              I would say I'm British because I was born here, but my heritage is British/American. What I'm trying to establish is just what this heritage from the American side actually is. I know my British side is Celtic/Saxon/Norman but Mum's results from all the tests so far say something different's on her American side. Her maternal side couldn't be more English, every branch has stayed in the same region for at least 200 years.
              I have DeCodeMe saying her Dad has Eastern Europe/Russian ancestry
              AbDNA say she has 11% East Asian 22% South Asian ancestry
              Tribes say she has 1/4 to 1/8 South Asian ancestry
              I don't know what to think! Slavic/Roma mix? I don't know enough about the genetic make up of Eastern Europe to actually make a decision!

Comment

Have you considered a Melungeon possibility?

Comment

Hi T E Peterman,
                  Have often wondered about it, but DeCodeMe reckon my Grandpa was of Eastern European/Russian ancestry and I didn't think that included Melungeons?
                  I know some have Roma blood, but her profile also doesn't show any significant Asian to suggest Native American which I thought formed a large part of Melungeon ancestry?

Comment

Just found this:
                    http://www.dnatesting.com/dna-ancest...-test-euro.php
                    They say South Asian includes India, Pakistan, eastern Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Kazahkstan...I thought it was just India and Pakistan?
                    So if DeCodeMe reckon my Grandpa was of Eastern European/Russian descent could it be possible this is why Mum gets 22% South Asian with AbDNA?

Comment

Working...
                    X