Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using FTDNA autosomal panel for admixture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using FTDNA autosomal panel for admixture?

Since I already have a sample at FTDNA and they seem stable. I thought about ordering their Autosomal markers. They still are on the order page. I know they do not interperete them but what are people using them for?

I see some reference to a DNAtribes formula but I'm not sure everything you can do with them.

If I ordered the Autosomal markers Panel 1 ,could I get a similar breakdown to the AncestryByDNA breakdown. European,african,native american,asian?

Is there anyone that can interprete them in this way?

I could also order the full sequence mtdna. I have Hvr1 and HVR2. I dont know how much good this would do as its still only one line and I think it was expensive. I might order the further r1a1 deepclade because is only 30 dollars but its not the autosomal test I wanted.

Brian

The autosomal STR's are not well-suited to admixture analysis although they could serve if there were more than 21 markers sampled.

If you do not absolutely need/want FGS, look into 23andMe or DeCodeMe that sample 600,000+ or 1,000,000+ SNP's from across the genome including the mitochondrion. The mitochondrial results (although not as thorough as FGS) could nevertheless yield a fair idea of subclade. Their Y SNP's could do the same as an adjunct to your Y STR results. Both companies offer admixture estimates for the 22 autosomes, and DeCode also offers admixture for X chromosome. 23andMe will offer admixture for X within the year.

23andMe with 600K+ SNP's costs about 400US.
    DeCode with 1000K+ SNP's costs about 1000US.
    www.23andme.com
    www.decodeme.com

Comment

Originally posted by brian87 View Post
      ...I see some reference to a DNAtribes formula but I'm not sure everything you can do with them...
      DNATribes uses the same 21 markers as FTDNA offers and conducts ancestry analyses via a proprietary profile-matching system. The closest they get to admixture is their World Region analysis. If that interests you:
      www.dnatribes.com
      Last edited by tomcat; 6 March 2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

... what are people using them for?...
        You can do industry-standard profile matching via Omnipop, a free downloadable Excel tool, or run free profile matching on two online databases. The links to all of the above are on this page:
        http://www.cstl.nist.gov/biotech/str...lationdata.htm

Comment

If i can get my money back from dnaprint I might order from another company.

I wanted to order from ftdna but as someone pointed out their autosomal markers cant really give admixture results. The Omnipop and dnatribes results look too mixed and hard to understand.

Decodeme and 23ande me seem to be the closest . Decodeme is too expensive. I might be able to afford 23andme but it breaks it down into three and not four groups. It has a lot of extra tests i dont want and I wonder if the company will last after my last experience.

I take it the ftdna FGS mtDNA test has nothing to do with these type tests?

Will FTDNA ever offer a similar test to ancestrybydna 2.5? Are the cost of those other companies coming down?

Brian

Comment

I take it the ftdna FGS mtDNA test has nothing to do with these type tests?
            Nothing, except the MtDNA portion of the test (23andMe, DeCodeMe) is an affordable stand-in for FGS in that it could yield a subclade assignment.

Comment

Working...
            X