Accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuracy

Does anyone know the accuracy rate of DNA testing....are errors made? and how does one determine if any errors were made on your particular test?

Thanks

Accuracy

I would like to see some information on this also. However I am sure you are aware that it may not be answered, because it is difficult for anyone to admit errors. As a practical matter, we all know that errors do occur. It would be nice to have some guidelines regarding the rate of errors.

Vernor

Comment

Originally posted by Khachtex
      Does anyone know the accuracy rate of DNA testing....are errors made? and how does one determine if any errors were made on your particular test? Thanks
      Of course errors are made. A certain amount of human interpretation is involved. I found out yesterday, that when Family Tree DNA test your sample, they also test a known sample. If the known sample doesn’t provide the correct results, they rerun.

They have several things they can look for that might indicate an error. If they see any of them they rerun.

You also have the option of being tested again. More than one person has submitted a second sample, under a different name or you can submit to another company.

FTDNA doesn’t reply to many questions in this forum. They hope other members will provide answers. If you want a reply from them, you should contact them. They have a page with different contacts at http://www.familytreedna.com/contact.html . I believe this link is given at the bottom of most of their web pages.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett
        FTDNA doesn’t reply to many questions in this forum. They hope other members will provide answers. If you want a reply from them, you should contact them. They have a page with different contacts at http://www.familytreedna.com/contact.html . I believe this link is given at the bottom of most of their web pages.

Good luck!

max works for ftndna and posts alot in this forum andis very helpful usually unless i am too stupid to get it

Comment

There is also always the possibility that a submitted DNA sample could have gotten contaminated during the collection process if the collection procedures weren't carefully followed. Of course, you could also get a second test done to compare the results if you think something is very wrong with the results of the first test.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning
            max works for ftndna and posts alot in this forum andis very helpful usually unless i am too stupid to get it
            Mr. Denning: Your right, Max is part of FTDNA and he does post to the forum. My point has also just been proven. Yesterday morning I sent a question to one of the contact people. I just received their reply. I don't believe anyone from FTDNA has replied to the original question posted for this topic.

Khachtex: I stand by my original reply to you. If you have a question for FTDNA use one of the e-mail addresses on the contact page. Good luck.

Comment

Jim is correct.

We try to let the members of the Forum post questions and others with more experience answer. If needed, we "jump in".

On the question of reliability of the test.
              The test itself is 99.99% reliable in that when we tell you the values of the markers of the Y-DNA or the mutations on the mtDNA, it's very, very rare that we have an error.
              Those of you who came to the Conference this week know the different controls that we have to avoid errors in the tests.
              Max Blankfeld
              Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
              A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Working...
              X