What is Autosom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Autosom?

What is autosom and how do you go about learning what your percentages are? I am very new at this and would appreciate any help any one can give.
    Thanks!
    u5a1 and j2b2
    Blood type: A+

Originally posted by nichada View Post
    What is autosom and how do you go about learning what your percentages are? I am very new at this and would appreciate any help any one can give.
    Thanks!
    u5a1 and j2b2
    Blood type: A+
    Autosomal test tell you what you inherited form all your ancestors instead of only ydna (the direct male line. fathers fathers fatehrs father etc) or only mtdna (direct female line. mothers mothers mothers mother etc).
    An autosmal admixture test can tell you what your percentages are of European and Native American and African and East Asian. The company that did my testing has closed. As far as I know, FTDNA doesn't do admixture tests.

I'm female and am mtdna H1.
    My admixture is 83% European and 17% Native American. My best guess is that my 17% Native American comes from my father's mother.
    Last edited by rainbow; 28 February 2009, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nichada View Post
      What is autosom and how do you go about learning what your percentages are? I am very new at this and would appreciate any help any one can give...u5a1 and j2b2...
      As Rainbow noted, the company (DNAPrint) that did percentage ancestry tests (AncestrybyDNA etc.) has suspended operations. However their test offerings had already been superceded by the so-called genome scanners, 23and and DeCodeMe, who sequence 600,000+ or 1,000,000+ SNP's (respectively) from across the genome.

23andMe's test, at about $400US, is the more affordable. Their Y SNP's and Mt SNP's ought to give you greater detail on your place in Y and Mt phylogeny. (The Y SNP's are available nowhere else but the Mt results will not be as definitve as FTDNA's FGS). For each of the 22 autosomal chromosomes 23andMe will give percentage ancestry estimates and 'paint' the chromosome showing where those ancestry-indicative portions reside on the chromosome. They also provide ancestry estimates for the semi-autosomal X chromsome although it is not yet 'painted.'

Both companies use about 20,000 SNP's for their ancestry determinations and reference the worldwide HGDP-CEPH database. At present they parse ancestry into European, African and East Asian. You can learn more by visting the sites:
      www.23andme.com
      www.decodeme.com

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
        They also provide ancestry estimates for the semi-autosomal X chromsome although it is not yet 'painted.'
        Where on 23andMe results can you see ancestry estimates for the X chromsome?

Regards,
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
          As Rainbow noted, the company (DNAPrint) that did percentage ancestry tests (AncestrybyDNA etc.) has suspended operations. However their test offerings had already been superceded by the so-called genome scanners, 23and and DeCodeMe, who sequence 600,000+ or 1,000,000+ SNP's (respectively) from across the genome.

23andMe's test, at about $400US, is the more affordable. Their Y SNP's and Mt SNP's ought to give you greater detail on your place in Y and Mt phylogeny. (The Y SNP's are available nowhere else but the Mt results will not be as definitve as FTDNA's FGS). For each of the 22 autosomal chromosomes 23andMe will give percentage ancestry estimates and 'paint' the chromosome showing where those ancestry-indicative portions reside on the chromosome. They also provide ancestry estimates for the semi-autosomal X chromsome although it is not yet 'painted.'

Both companies use about 20,000 SNP's for their ancestry determinations and reference the worldwide HGDP-CEPH database. At present they parse ancestry into European, African and East Asian. You can learn more by visting the sites:
          www.23andme.com
          www.decodeme.com
          Thanks for your post, tomcat! You just saved me $400! I was going to order up the autosomal until I read your comment about the FTDNA Full Genome Sequence. I already have it and, yes, now that I think of it and have compared all the mutations in it defining clades, it does indeed give me a complete history of the connections my ancestral history has back through the thousands (ten thousands) of years. I have now a greater respect for the FGS.
          Fannie

Comment

Originally posted by Fannie View Post
            Thanks for your post, tomcat! You just saved me $400! I was going to order up the autosomal until I read your comment about the FTDNA Full Genome Sequence. I already have it and, yes, now that I think of it and have compared all the mutations in it defining clades, it does indeed give me a complete history of the connections my ancestral history has back through the thousands (ten thousands) of years. I have now a greater respect for the FGS.
            Fannie
            Faninie,
            There are other features of genome scans that recommend them but the Mt portion of the scans are duplicative of FGS. Still for someone with no or limited MtDNA results in-hand the scanners' coverage of Mt could take them a long way toward a subclade definition. Same is true of Y, but in both cases the coverage is not detailed enough to use for matching to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck View Post
              Where on 23andMe results can you see ancestry estimates for the X chromsome?

Regards,
              Jim
              Nowhere, I have confused 23andMe with DeCodeMe offerings. DeCode does the X and 23 don't, yet.

Comment

Working...
              X