Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

23andme

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    tribal results

    I know I have probably asked this question a half dozen times and kind people have answered. But at my age memory is like penquins on an ice flow ... one has to get off for others to get on ... sooooo, can someone explain succiently the difference between DNA Tribes, 23andMe, DeCodeME, and the profile I already have through FT DNA, having completed Y through 67 markers and all deep clade tests applicable and mt through FGS? Thanks in advance. For some reason it just doesn't want to stay huddled on the ice flow with the other memories that have stuck.

    Comment


    • #32
      Wow the colors....

      Hey, they fixed the color option.. I am soooo happy! Going to try different pastel colors... See which one is the best!

      Maria

      Comment


      • #33
        The Y chromosome tells you about the purely paternal line, the mtdna about the purely maternal one. The other tests look at all the other chromosomes. Because the other chromosomes are a mixture of father and mother, the other tests look at a a mixture of all your ancestors - you cannot really say which ones.

        23andme and decodeme are not primarily about ancestry, they're more for testing bits of the DNA of medical interest, ie that can indicate certain health risks. As an aside, they also provide some admixture test (like DNAtribes) giving some information about how close one is to certain populations (eg european, east asians, etc.). The three companies use different methods, so the results differ somewhat across the three companies (I think some posts have discussed this). In general, though, the ancestry information provided by these tests is rather general and nowhere as precise as that of the Y or mtdna test.

        cacio

        Comment


        • #34
          Recieved sample...

          23andme recieved my dna sample today.. Now it is a waiting game for another 10 weeks.. I will have to keep myself really busy. Sorta like waitng for your birthday, you never know what you'll get! I am very glad that they included the ancestry portion in their test... Thats the selling point for me... My youngest daughter is interested in having DeCodeMe and 23andme done...

          Maria
          Last edited by Maria_W; 26 February 2009, 08:51 PM.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by cacio View Post
            The three companies use different methods, so the results differ somewhat across the three companies (I think some posts have discussed this). In general, though, the ancestry information provided by these tests is rather general and nowhere as precise as that of the Y or mtdna test.

            cacio

            Thanks, Cacio.

            I didn't remember how I came to this conclusion, but I remembered that sometime back when I was looking at 23andMe v. a FGS I concluded that with my father coming from a general European background and my mother a Bahamaian whose HVR1 and HVR2 matches were in Spain, Italy, Germany and Syria, that the unpredictability of how the mix would work coupled with the nature of the mix might well more confuse me than help me. So I elected to stick to the FGS. I know there is a test out there somewhere that ties matches to sub regions of geography, but i am not sure it is commercially available or if I would trust it to not mix me up given the maybe singular facts of my father and mother's legacies.

            Comment


            • #36
              It's almost impossible to tie up mtdna lines with specific places. The reason is that mtdna lines (ie the female lines) tend to be very spread out. So, with exceptions as usual, a lineage like T is present all over Europe, and it's really difficult to be more specific.

              cacio

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Maria_W View Post
                23andme recieved my dna sample today.. Now it is a waiting game for another 10 weeks.. I will have to keep myself really busy. Sorta like waitng for your birthday, you never know what you'll get! I am very glad that they included the ancestry portion in their test... Thats the selling point for me... My youngest daughter is interested in having DeCodeMe and 23andme done...

                Maria
                Maria,

                I'm curious, what do you mean by "ancestry portion"?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Ethnic percentages...

                  Short version: 23andme test reads your 22 autosomal chromosomes and estimates your ethnic percentages or ethnic ancestry. They are also an admixture test but this is not their main focus.Their categories are European, Asian ( Native American) and African...Just like DeCodeMe. The results total 100%. Hopefully they will be doing the X chromosome within the next 6-12 mos..

                  Maria
                  Last edited by Maria_W; 26 February 2009, 11:05 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    OK,

                    Just clarifying. I thought that was what you meant, but then it looked like they would include an STR test from ancestry.com since they are data and customer sharing now, or something like that. Sorry.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Deirwha View Post
                      I know I have probably asked this question a half dozen times and kind people have answered. But at my age memory is like penquins on an ice flow ... one has to get off for others to get on ... sooooo, can someone explain succiently the difference between DNA Tribes, 23andMe, DeCodeME, and the profile I already have through FT DNA, having completed Y through 67 markers and all deep clade tests applicable and mt through FGS? Thanks in advance. For some reason it just doesn't want to stay huddled on the ice flow with the other memories that have stuck.
                      That is sooo cute. I envisioned it.

                      I had seen this penguin post before but I couldn't reply then. I tried, but couldn't.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by rainbow View Post
                        That is sooo cute. I envisioned it.

                        I had seen this penguin post before but I couldn't reply then. I tried, but couldn't.
                        blush.

                        I confess. I borrowed the image from a secretary who would explain her memory in this way. I loved the image

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          As long as 12 weeks...

                          Wait time for 23andme could run as long as 12 weeks! But one person claims it only took 2 weeks... A few people were upset about their long wait. I am going to pretend I didn't order it so I won't drive my self nuts!

                          Maria

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            It is well worth the wait.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Curious

                              Originally posted by rucksack View Post
                              It is well worth the wait.
                              What was worth the wait? I am not criticizing, I just am having a hard time picturing what 23andMe would provide me that I do not already have with the information I have received through FTDNA on my 67 markers, deep clade, and FGS.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Deirwha View Post
                                What was worth the wait? I am not criticizing, I just am having a hard time picturing what 23andMe would provide me that I do not already have with the information I have received through FTDNA on my 67 markers, deep clade, and FGS.
                                The X chromosome is shaping up quite nicely for a new thing on the horizon. The family inheritance tool has already proven actual GG success.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X