Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

23andme

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am back on my cellphone. Left the regular computer just over 2 hours ago. Most of the chromosone bars had chunks of dark gray. The last few where almost completely grey except for some small bits of dark blue. I read that the gray areas are places that were not readable and could not be decifered. Does everyone have those same gray areas? Or does it vary from person to person? I was thinking, if they can't read it how can they accurately assign
    a score?
    I had many columns on the world map in the region section. The dark orange one was Northern Europeans 67.74. I had green columns for Southern Europeans @67.64. Near Easterners @ 67.07. Central Asians @ 66.85. North Africans @ 66.29. North [email protected] [email protected] South [email protected] And Eastern [email protected] Those are the ones I jotted down.
    My mtdna H1* had its strongest concentration in all of Norway, northern Denmark, and western Sweden. I will see if I can share now, without JavaScript.
    Last edited by rainbow; 17 October 2009, 07:34 PM.

    Comment


    • Those gray areas are simply area that are "Not Genotyped". All of us have those. They are areas of the chromosomes that fit the notation.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by rucksack View Post
        Those gray areas are simply area that are "Not Genotyped". All of us have those. They are areas of the chromosomes that fit the notation.
        Thanks rucksack. Why aren't they genotyped?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by rainbow View Post
          I am back on my cellphone. Left the regular computer just over 2 hours ago. Most of the chromosone bars had chunks of dark gray. The last few where almost completely grey except for some small bits of dark blue. I read that the gray areas are places that were not readable and could not be decifered. Does everyone have those same gray areas? Or does it vary from person to person? I was thinking, if they can't read it how can they accurately assign
          a score?
          I had many columns on the world map in the region section. The dark orange one was Northern Europeans 67.74. I had green columns for Southern Europeans @67.64. Near Easterners @ 67.07. Central Asians @ 66.85. North Africans @ 66.29. North [email protected] [email protected] South [email protected] And Eastern [email protected] Those are the ones I jotted down.
          My mtdna H1* had its strongest concentration in all of Norway, northern Denmark, and western Sweden. I will see if I can share now, without JavaScript.
          The grey areas are the same for everyone. Most of each chromosome has been genotyped (over 90%), but drops some with the smallest chromosomes (e.g., #22). The distortion may be a result of the size of the monitor you are using at present.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by DKF View Post
            The grey areas are the same for everyone. Most of each chromosome has been genotyped (over 90%), but drops some with the smallest chromosomes (e.g., #22). The distortion may be a result of the size of the monitor you are using at present.
            The monitor was between 15" and 17".

            A while back, after not my last update but the one before it, I emailed DNATribes about my Native American ancestry again, and Lucas from DNATribes said my STR profile was consistent with approximately 1/8 Native American ancestry, with 1/8 to 1/4 Native American ancestry not excluded. DNAPrint said I was 17%. 23andme says none at all. I think 2 out of 3 wins.
            And I don't have African ancestry.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by rainbow View Post
              The monitor was between 15" and 17".

              A while back, after not my last update but the one before it, I emailed DNATribes about my Native American ancestry again, and Lucas from DNATribes said my STR profile was consistent with approximately 1/8 Native American ancestry, with 1/8 to 1/4 Native American ancestry not excluded. DNAPrint said I was 17%. 23andme says none at all. I think 2 out of 3 wins.
              And I don't have African ancestry.
              Alas, it doesn't work that way. A test which explores over a half a million markers beats out one that looks at 176 carefully chosen ancestrally informative markers and another which tests 21 markers designed not to explore ancestry, but individual differences. No comparison really.

              Still, people are entirely free to believe what they want (interpret) any test result any way they please. If someone asks my opinion, it will be based on the scientific properties of the test, including reliability and validity of each. Picking and chosing what one likes, including a statement from an executive at a company that that does not appear to mesh in any way with their raw data. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that some in the business could decide to have a canned response to send to customers who ask pretty much the same question, and to tell customers what they want to hear. This would be more likely coming from someone whose background is not science - but who knows, anyone is prone to telling another what they think they want to hear - we all do it - but it is not acceptable in a commercial enterprise.

              Good luck in figuring out all this wildly conflicting information. Would make me very skeptical - but it is important to note that over time, each test is an improvement on their forerunners. I think that 23andMe will fine tune what they already have using more appropriate reference samples and we shall all see what changes and what does not. This is, I believe, in the works. At least they have the data to work with and you don't have to take multiple "upgrades" tossing good money after bad.

              Comment


              • Before I got my results I had thought of finding and comparing with people who got an Asian score but are North American Indian to see what we have in common. But since I didn't even get an Asian score there is no point of finding and sharing.
                I downloaded all the data to my Dell but discovered tonight when I tried to read it that it isn't readable. At first I thought, "It's in Greek!", but it's actually in some code of English letters and symbols and numbers. I will have to download it again another day.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Gene2005
                  Rainbow,
                  I read some where the African DNA could be something else other then Sub-Saharan Africa it could be DNATribes North African matches or something else. As far your Asian DNA, I uses 23andMe look around i found out they are quiet tight giving out Asian DNA with those who have distance Asian/Native American Ancestry compares to DecodeMe. What i`m trying to say there many people uses 23andMe with undetectable Asian ancestry.
                  Yes, my July (?) top match was to North Africa. DNATribes matched me to every single Indo-Europeam world region category they have. They say my top two native matches are Syria and Morocco. But they also told DKF that his top matches were Yemen and Saudi, if I remember right.
                  I have multiple Iberian (Portugal etc) and Flemish top 20 matches.
                  Last edited by rainbow; 19 October 2009, 11:01 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by rainbow View Post
                    Before I got my results I had thought of finding and comparing with people who got an Asian score but are North American Indian to see what we have in common. But since I didn't even get an Asian score there is no point of finding and sharing...
                    Finding is a problem.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by rainbow View Post
                      ... DNATribes said my STR profile was consistent with approximately 1/8 Native American ancestry, with 1/8 to 1/4 Native American ancestry not excluded. DNAPrint said I was 17%. 23andme says none at all. I think 2 out of 3 wins.
                      And I don't have African ancestry.
                      Did Tribes match you to African populations?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                        Did Tribes match you to African populations?
                        If someone is, in this instance, < 1% African with two relatively small African blocks on 22 pairs of autosomes could we expect a test that uses a grand total of 21 markers to say anything about the minority ancestry other than in established groups such as Mexican Mestizo (still here there would be vast diversity here such that false positives and false negatives would be rampant).

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Gene2005
                          Rainbow,

                          What about finding and compares with people who are in the same or similar boat as you. I`m talking about the ones who do have Asian/Native American ancestry but receives 100% European for their test. They are there, go to 23andMe look through the threads you should find them. Who knows you maybe within their cluster (group) if that the case, you may share ancestry with then also. Maybe you`re the one of many important puzzle to solve this mystery on How so many people have 100% European DNA with no hint of Native American ancestry. I bet it have something to do with the way the company test DNA compares to other companies and the Native American woman Ancestry Painting which is half European.

                          I was told my family have Native American Ancestry from two branches of the Family tree. Here a link http://spittoon.23andme.com/2008/06/...stry-painting/ and comment from it,

                          You are correct that the diagram does include
                          Asian (or Native American) ancestry from both the maternal and
                          paternal lines in several locations across Dr King
                          Gene, I expanded on what you said with a few other details. Thanks for getting me to think more deeply about this business. Here follows what I said on the Rootsweb List:

                          "For some time I have been examining the Ancestry Paintings of the people who I share findings with - over 100. Most are 100% European, but perhaps a third have some degree of "Asian" and / or African blocks showing in their "painting".

                          Something that was said in another forum prompted me to go to the painting of Dr. Roy King (a prominent American of African - American heritage) and examine each chromosome closely. The painting and interpretation is given here:

                          http://spittoon.23andme.com/2008/06/...stry-painting/

                          What is odd (and Dr. Ann Turner picked up on this before I noted it) is that many if not most of the large number of Asian blocks extend the full width of the chromosome. This makes absolutely no sense from any genetically oriented explanation I can come up with. Even fully siblings would not show this degree of correspondence (or exact placement of small haploblocks). Some of these blocks appeear to be over 10 Mb and others cannot be over 1 Mb - but how can they extend beyond the half way point on any of the chromosomes. Something is clearly amiss.

                          The second factor is that on any person with majority European ancestry that I have seen, there will be some (e.g., two) blocks of say 5 Mb (it is impossible to tell the exact size since the dimensions are not given nor are the start - stop positions). None go over the half way point to extend across the width of the chromosome. Why are there very narrow blocks in Dr. King's painting, but never in the large number of paintings with majority European that I have seen, is any block that small, even remotely so, shown - never.

                          I have said all along that there is a bias inherent in the algorith. On the first pass it determines the major parameters of the genomic ancestry structure. Then comes the if - then components. Clearly any Asian like blocks in someone with African and Asian are allowed through the filter and "painted". However if the algorithm has determined "European" a different set of criteria appear to be applied - my guess is if less than 10 Mb (perhaps 5 Mb - translated into cM equivalent) assume false positive and attribute to "European". I am not sure all of the orange is really Asian or Native American - but more likely misclassified African - hence the block extending across the chromosome. The 23andMe company representative reports that these findings are characteristic of the San - the resemblance to East Asians (not seen in the Nigerians used as reference samples in 23andMe).

                          The bottom line is that due to fear of false positive in an otherwise blue (European) background it is necessary to have a much larger block than if it is found that your ancestry is a mosaic of all three groups. Or so it would seem.

                          I am only giving an opinion here, but there is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that the algorithm 23andMe employs classifies people on the basis of criteria that depend on the Gestalt of the genomic structure, and us primarily "blue folk" are never going to see the micro blocks that are portrayed in Dr. King's painting. However the timely presentation of the Browning and Hon team noted in an earlier posting today speak elegantly to this issue. Identical by descent can be teased out even at the 1 Mb level - but it will be necessary to use a program such as BEAGLE and to broaden the reference samples (the Han simply will not cut it as a reference group for those of us who wish to find evidence of Native North American ancestry - ok, I am a broken record on this point)".

                          Comment


                          • Opt In to Relative Finder

                            Greetings folks! I can't imagine that anyone here hasn't opted in to the Relative Finder feature, but in case you haven't please do. I've got 204 potential cousins (4th-distant), but only 9 have opted in. I'm sharing with 7 of those - and may have helped 2 of them to look for potential genealogical relationships even though they "missed the bar."

                            I'm hoping to find some of those possible 4th cousins specifically. Take care,
                            Sonia

                            Comment


                            • Hi, I would opt in if I knew where it was on the website. I've not been able to find the option to opt in to the Relative Finder feature.
                              Carolyn


                              Originally posted by Sonia View Post
                              Greetings folks! I can't imagine that anyone here hasn't opted in to the Relative Finder feature, but in case you haven't please do. I've got 204 potential cousins (4th-distant), but only 9 have opted in. I'm sharing with 7 of those - and may have helped 2 of them to look for potential genealogical relationships even though they "missed the bar."

                              I'm hoping to find some of those possible 4th cousins specifically. Take care,
                              Sonia

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Carolyn1955 View Post
                                Hi, I would opt in if I knew where it was on the website. I've not been able to find the option to opt in to the Relative Finder feature.
                                Carolyn
                                Go to www.23andme.com/you/relfinder and click on the appropriate box.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X