Genome Scans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genome Scans

I wondered if those who have done a scan through 23andMe or DeCodeMe were assigned a Y and/or Mt haplogroup by the scanner based on the Y and Mt SNP's sequenced? And how you think those assignments measure-up to what you otherwise know about your Y and Mt lineages?

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
    I wondered if those who have done a scan through 23andMe or DeCodeMe were assigned a Y and/or Mt haplogroup by the scanner based on the Y and Mt SNP's sequenced? And how you think those assignments measure-up to what you otherwise know about your Y and Mt lineages?
    Tomcat,

I am R-U152, L2, L20+; and mtDNA K1b2 (full genome scan via FTDNA).

Decodeme: R1b, K

23andme: R1b1c10 (i.e., U152); K1

Some people have deeper mtDNA haplogroups via 23andme and I think that I am "truncated" due to a "no call" marker.

At any rate 23andme probe deeper, and it is possible to explore the output and, as in my case, find the L2 and L20 thanks to a datasheet being kept by Adriano for all Y Date from 23andme (he also collects the SNP data from decodeme customers).

David.

Comment

Thank you for the dialogue

I am watching. I am told by FTDNA, which I trust implicitly, that I am just going to have to wait for more matches ... not much more for me to do. I have known others from my clade who have done 23andMe and have been very, very pleased with their results, but it did not seem to me they added much to their understanding except a marginal sense of geographic distribution (to which gap FTDNA may, or may not have, successfully spoken with their new RAO distribution). I have become reluctant to spend any more money without knowing that I will see a real increment in knowledge. So I am grateful for this very dialogue, because it seems to me to be addressing one of the two areas I have considered, 23andMe, and the X series. I have been specifically advised it will not provide in my case an increment worth investing money toward for me to test my X. So, thank you all for talking while I lurk and read.

Comment

Originally posted by Deirwha View Post
        ...So I am grateful for this very dialogue, because it seems to me to be addressing one of the two areas I have considered, 23andMe, and the X series. I have been specifically advised it will not provide in my case an increment worth investing money toward for me to test my X. So, thank you all for talking while I lurk and read.
        You are right, that the scanners' Y SNP's will not produce a Y match but they have been useful in Y phylogeny in which all of us have an investment. And if you did FGS the scanners' Mt SNP's will be duplicative. But the scanners also do X SNP's that, in your case, would give you information about maternal lines, and Autosomal SNP's that yield overall information about both parental lines.

Comment

23andMe and FTDNA both have me at I1 y / U5b2 mt.

I've had 69 markers and the FGS at FTDNA.

23andMe reported one marker on my mtDNA differently than FTDNA did. I was told that it is most likely due to heteroplasmy.

Comment

The scanners seem pretty good at Y and Mt haplogroups, better for some than others. And they are fairly close to an all-in-one test that is certainly price competitive. The caveat being neither the Y SNP's or Mt SNP's are a fine enough test of close relatedness.

The scanners' Y SNP's have been useful in Y phylogeny and are available no place else. The Mt SNP's are intermediate to HVR's and FGS but no replacement for FGS as concerns Mt phylogeny.

Comment

DeCodeMe H1...

I was given a mt DNA H1 by DeCodeMe and FTDNA gave me mt DNA H1a1... Just not as in depth as FTDNA...

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Maria_W View Post
                I was given a mt DNA H1 by DeCodeMe and FTDNA gave me mt DNA H1a1... Just not as in depth as FTDNA...

Maria

I never did the genome scan. FTDNA has me at a plain ol' H1. The Geneographic Project gave me H. Later on I did the subclade test at FTDNA.

Comment

Working...
                X