DNA and genes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA and genes

I'm aware that dna tests don't show genes, but do genes affect dna tests? will a familial gene cause a marker to change? or is it deeper down, perhaps in the mysterious to me syp's?
    I'm wondering if genes mark dys's in such a way that a branch can be picked out just from a genetic tweek, an extra diget, a rare eye color, albinoism?
    just curious. I don't believe my ancestry has any special genes, but my husband's does, and if we learned of other's with the same genetic twists, we may find cousins we can't find otherwise. minor tweeks, but definitely familial, and very specific.

The mtdna and Y chromosome code for very little, so that's why they provide little or no information on other conditions or characteristics. There are a handful of diseases related to mtdna, but these are extremely rare conditions.

But if you were to do a test like 23andme or decodeme, which tests for the other chromosomes, then you would find types of associations like the ones you mention. It's not that one mutation causes another. The point is that DNA within chromosomes tend to travel in chunks. So most people who have a mutation in a certain gene will have also the same DNA as each other in places near the gene. That's how these companies determine risk factors. Often, they don't test the gene directly, but they test a location near the gene, even if that location is not part of the gene and per se doesn't do anything.

cacio

Comment

a very clear

helpful, and calming explanation. Thanks ciao.

Comment

wellll....

I'm perplexed. this is still a fairly foreign language to me.
        the genetic tweeks aren't major ones, but they tend to identify the family group. certainly if you had some gene that could make you lose your job or be ostrasized some other way, that wouldn't be a good one to have documented, much less publicised. but his familial tweeks aren't of that variety, and if we could post them with the dna, it would make mtdna connections more practical (not one of his mtdna matches has their tree posted, they could be related 10,000 years ago, or just 3 generations, we have no way of telling...but if he has a match AND they have one or both of the tweeks, that would truly bring in a reasonable connection. the same goes for ydna, but it would also tell us how far back my husband's ancestry diverted from the rest of the tree, and whether it's a small or large section of the tree, as well as also helping narrow the probability of relationships.

Comment

As said, the type of "twists" you are thinking about are neither part of the Y chromosome nor of the mtdna - so the standard tests cannot pick them up, they are simply not related to these characteristics.

As you point out, if you had information on the other chromosomes, then you could make a better assessment of any possible relation. In fact, tests like 23andme and the like do allow one to do something of this sort. They give you the opportunity to compare genomes between individuals. Brothers would show many more similarities than cousins, and so on.

Also, remember that chromosomes travel separately. One gets, say, the mtdna from the mother, but any other gene in non XY chromosomes can come from either the mother or the father. So perhaps for a couple of generation, the mtdna, say, and a "twist" in some other gene may go together, but after a few generations they will most likely have gone separate ways. The only genes that go together for a longer period are those that happen to be phisically close on the same chromosome.

cacio

Comment

gene's or not gene's

dna is what you are, its what makes you be what you are. there are x chromosomes and y chromosomes, (molecules) x is the mother and y is the father. and the father determines the sex of the child. the dna that is passed from one to another repeated so it can be counted is the y chromosome, the father to son thing. it can also be traced somehow through the mother but thats different. there are a lot of weird names that go with this that i'm only just beginning to learn and i got mine through google.com. you can find almost anything on google. i had my dna done at FTDNA (family tree dna) and mine seems to be ok. you can get them at familytreedna.com.

marie44

Comment

marie44,

Did you get your X chromosome tested? Or are you referring to your mtDNA (mitochondrial DNA, which follows mother to daughter to son. Only daughter can pass it on)?

Comment

test

actually, it was my cousin that did the test, y. and now he has passed away and thats that unless i can find his sons whom i've never met.

marie44

Comment

If you gain access to his kit and password, you can simply have it tested. No one needs to know that he is deceased. Are you close enough to his wife to make a bold request for information?

The vials are already on file, so it should not be a problem unless you find a problem with that approach.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
                    If you gain access to his kit and password, you can simply have it tested. No one needs to know that he is deceased. Are you close enough to his wife to make a bold request for information?

The vials are already on file, so it should not be a problem unless you find a problem with that approach.

Just a thought.
                    i have his kit and password and am in charge of his site and they know already that he's gone and his wife passed on over 10 years ago. i know they have some stored but i'm told no more tests are necessary.

marie44

Comment

Originally posted by marie44 View Post
                      actually, it was my cousin that did the test, y. and now he has passed away and thats that unless i can find his sons whom i've never met.

marie44
                      sorry to hear that. But one should not release that information, like rucksack said no one needs to know that he is gone.

Comment

i have his kit and password and am in charge of his site and they know already that he's gone and his wife passed on over 10 years ago. i know they have some stored but i'm told no more tests are necessary.

marie44
                        Then I am confused why you would mention something about testing his sons?

Just for clarity, you could test for his mtDNA if it hasn't already been done. Especially interesting is the FGS if one can afford it. You could see which Y SNPs he is positive for.

There are other tests as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
                          Then I am confused why you would mention something about testing his sons?

Just for clarity, you could test for his mtDNA if it hasn't already been done. Especially interesting is the FGS if one can afford it. You could see which Y SNPs he is positive for.

There are other tests as well.
                          i wont do the test because of the cost. i cant afford it. and i was told no more tests were necessary for our side. i guess i mentioned it because the pain is still there at his loss. sorry. sometimes people just have to talk. be nice to each other, its later than you think.
                          marie44

Comment

i wont do the test because of the cost. i cant afford it. and i was told no more tests were necessary for our side. i guess i mentioned it because the pain is still there at his loss. sorry. sometimes people just have to talk. be nice to each other, its later than you think.
                            marie44
                            Hi Marie44,
                            I'm sorry to hear of your loss and the criticisms you got on the forum.
                            I hope you do find his sons if you want to because then you'll have some family. Maybe your cousin that passed away was the only family member you had left. Any sons he had would have the same ydna that he had. It's passed from father to son.
                            In my case I have no real family, other than my mother. If and when she passes, I'll have no one else either. There is a dna mystery on my fathers side. For dna purposes, I tried to find and contact relatives on my fathers side, but they don't respond.

Comment

Working...
                            X