X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nekocat
    replied
    to some suprise on my part...

my assumption of my husband being M222 was incorrect. that test was cleared today, and it's negative. he just has 2, 3, and 4 left to test. 1, 5, 6, and 7 are done and are all negative. so what are those 3? where do they point to? just curious.

Leave a comment:

• Deirwha
    replied
    Congrats

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
    Yeah! Finally got the last results!
    Ditto here. Very enlightening, also. T1, a close match, and a "reading" just what is known about what is significant and not to look for in my FGS markers. Genealogically, it is the presence of a private marker that thus far is found in only 1 other, maybe 2 other people with their results available. Tribally, it is the number of JT markers in the T mix. I am looking forward to what further info the T project adduces.

Leave a comment:

• vinnie
    replied
    Originally posted by vinnie View Post
    My original due date for my E-deep clade was 11/19/08. I got partial results about a month ago, but as of now, I'm still waiting for final results on the last two E-a3 SNPs. I was told that because the results were inconclusive, they had to be run again, but I was also told that the E deep clades in general had been backed up. I've obviously done a good deal of testing through FTDNA, and before this experience, most of my other tests were either on time or a bit early. So, I don't know if this is due to the residual effects of damage due to the hurricane and/or the tremendous amount of work the lab has had due to the promotions.
    Yeah! Finally got the last results!

Leave a comment:

• nekocat
    replied
    M222

I knew that M222 was Irish connected, but what I think I was remembering was a specific marker (or two) within M222 that is rare-a dys marker number uncommon to most M222's. think it's further along in the string, after the 37 marker, so we will have to wait until mid-next month before we have any idea.

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    Originally posted by nekocat View Post
    at least there's that. today I checked his haplotree (something I do pretty consistantly) and one more item's been crossed from the list. they canceled out 1 early on, 7 recently, and 6 today. so 2,3,4, and 5 are left to test for. from what I've read on the forum, M222 is an interesting haplo, but I can't recall the details-and we won't know until the test is finished if he is or isn't M222.
    but what will the final outcome tell us?
    I have an R-M222 in my lineage (which connects to me by blood). R-M222 is NW Irish. Some say related to Niall Noigiallach but there is not 100% proof for that.

Leave a comment:

• nekocat
    replied
    a trickle....

at least there's that. today I checked his haplotree (something I do pretty consistantly) and one more item's been crossed from the list. they canceled out 1 early on, 7 recently, and 6 today. so 2,3,4, and 5 are left to test for. from what I've read on the forum, M222 is an interesting haplo, but I can't recall the details-and we won't know until the test is finished if he is or isn't M222.
    but what will the final outcome tell us?

Leave a comment:

• rucksack
    replied
    With any AB A parents, the possibilities of the children are:
    A, B, AB. Rh could go either way.

http://www.biology.arizona.edu/Human...lcA_popup.html

Leave a comment:

• nekocat
    replied
    not with ftdna

I've been told that ftdna doesn't test genes, but companies like 23andme do-at a fair price.

I hope the two get combined-for that matter, dna, genes, and x chromo. testing blended together some day for a better picture. or something better, no telling what will be discovered in the next decade.

my dad was AB+, my mother was A-. us 5 kids are either one or the other. don't know the two eldest, but the middle two claim AB-, and I'm A-.

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    I'm not sure if blood type affects DNA testing. But who knows.

My father is A- one of the uncommon kinds, My mother is AB+, I am either A,B or AB + or -. I wonder if any of those have anything to do with Haplogroups all though I doubt it. Would be interesting to read about Haplogroups and the blood types that members are.

Not sure if Genetic Genealogy testing can find familial traits.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• nekocat
    replied
    blood type...

He's O, or O+, I forget, but missing four traits that tend to cause transfusion rejections. the blood bank would practically salivate when they saw him or at least one of his brothers heading through their doors. most of us have the four traits that they're missing, but react negatively to other people's blood because of them. so his having an "oddity" with his blood might(????) cause a spike or dip in the test results. I could just be blowing smoke, I'm not sure.
    he has this oddity and a genetic tweek in the family tree-some members have a third tear duct. he has a brother and a son with that tweek. you'd think dna testing would be helped by these familial traits, but I guess it's too early for it to.

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    Originally posted by nekocat View Post
    and this is what they said. Darren didn't have specifics, but it is a little more information as to why there was a problem.

As for why a test will fail on an upgrade, there are a couple different reasons. Each panel or region we test needs to be decoded using different primers, or chemicals. Not everyone's DNA is compatible with the primers that work for the majority of people. For this reason the lab will need to stop the first test and take the time to come up with a new set of primers and run that to see if it will work successfully. The DNA also degrades over time, and for samples that may not have been strong quality to begin with can produce results when we first receive them but as time goes on we may not be able to obtain clear results because the sample may be too weak. In this case the lab will move onto the second vial that was provided. In certain cases if there is a value that is obtained from the run and it is unusually high or low, the lab will automatically rerun the sample to confirm the results.

I wonder if a rare blood type would affect it? probably not, but it's something to concider. I do know one of the vials we returned for my husband had blood in it because he scraped too hard.
    Interesting. Whats the blood type?? I don't think blood on the scraper would really affect it. Would just add to the DNA . Wouldn't the blood disappear in the vial?

Leave a comment:

• nekocat
    replied
    FTDNA emailed me...

and this is what they said. Darren didn't have specifics, but it is a little more information as to why there was a problem.

As for why a test will fail on an upgrade, there are a couple different reasons. Each panel or region we test needs to be decoded using different primers, or chemicals. Not everyone's DNA is compatible with the primers that work for the majority of people. For this reason the lab will need to stop the first test and take the time to come up with a new set of primers and run that to see if it will work successfully. The DNA also degrades over time, and for samples that may not have been strong quality to begin with can produce results when we first receive them but as time goes on we may not be able to obtain clear results because the sample may be too weak. In this case the lab will move onto the second vial that was provided. In certain cases if there is a value that is obtained from the run and it is unusually high or low, the lab will automatically rerun the sample to confirm the results.

I wonder if a rare blood type would affect it? probably not, but it's something to concider. I do know one of the vials we returned for my husband had blood in it because he scraped too hard.

Leave a comment:

• vinnie
    replied
    My original due date for my E-deep clade was 11/19/08. I got partial results about a month ago, but as of now, I'm still waiting for final results on the last two E-a3 SNPs. I was told that because the results were inconclusive, they had to be run again, but I was also told that the E deep clades in general had been backed up. I've obviously done a good deal of testing through FTDNA, and before this experience, most of my other tests were either on time or a bit early. So, I don't know if this is due to the residual effects of damage due to the hurricane and/or the tremendous amount of work the lab has had due to the promotions.

Leave a comment:

• nekocat
    replied
    yes...

the first test was fine. came through a month early, no questions, no issues. both his and mine. this time, seems to be there's a problem. the message given is as clear as mud. well, I made some sense of the messages, but found the deep clade puzzling and the 37-64 (or whatever the exact numbers are) upgrade very vague.

I did mispeak when I used the term botched, but I do wish I knew more of why the situation occured.

I agree that the test should be the best they can give, and in that vein, take however long they need to, but knowing that doesn't make it any less puzzling or frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    Originally posted by spruithean View Post
    Did you have any trouble with the first beginning tests? When you got the first DNA test? Were there any problems?

Good it be a not so good sample.

Hopefully you get your results soon.
    Could* it be a not so good sample.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X