X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spruithean
    replied
    Originally posted by nekocat View Post
    I'm pretty thick headed today, but this doesn't make sense to me. the original tests were fine, why aren't the upgrades, and why is the deep clade taking so long?

these are our pending test remarks for today, when we were due to get the upgrades and deep clade returns.

Deep Clade-R(DCLADE-R) 02/06/2009 286 The Deep Clade tests are performed in a series of rounds to pinpoint your position on the current Y-DNA Haplogroup Tree. Your sample requires more than the average number of rounds to complete this testing process. As each round is completed, those results are added to your Y-DNA Haplotree and Y-DNA DYS Values sections. The next testing round is expected to be complete by this date.

Y-Refine37to67(Y-DNA38-47 Markers) 02/13/2009 286 This test failed to yield results for your sample. Your sample is being rerun now. Results from this round of testing are expected by this date.

Y-Refine37to67(Y-DNA48-60 Markers) 02/13/2009 286 This test failed to yield results for your sample. Your sample is being rerun now. Results from this round of testing are expected by this date.

Y-Refine37to67(Y-DNA61-67 Markers) 02/13/2009 286 This test failed to yield results for your sample. Your sample is being rerun now. Results from this round of testing are expected by this date.
    Did you have any trouble with the first beginning tests? When you got the first DNA test? Were there any problems?

Good it be a not so good sample.

Hopefully you get your results soon.

Leave a comment:

• Deirwha
    replied
    I don't think the tests were botched

[QUOTE=nekocat;128883]I'm pretty thick headed today, but this doesn't make sense to me. the original tests were fine, why aren't the upgrades, and why is the deep clade taking so long?"

I understand, but let me offer a glass half full thought:

There is a very stringent protocol FT DNA follows. This is a good thing. The messages you receive are not telling you the tests were botched but that they did not yield clear and unequivocal results. They are telling you they are following an exacting protocol each time they test your results and this time it didn't all quite fit together. I received a similar message on my still pending FGS after the same sampling method at the same time yielded results on my HVR1 and HVR2. You ask yourself why, but it is not necessarily a reflection on the sampling or a misreading the first time. It is a reflection of redoing the protocol and not getting clear and indisputable results.

Here is a related point: I got results that first time. But the result it yielded put me at one mutation difference from my known second cousin. Why? Probably because they are testing information at the molecular level that can depending on variables register or not register as a separate mutation when in fact is a shadow "double" registration of a long molecule. Contamination remains a possibility if exacting standards are not followed, but not likely in this case. So my second cousin and I have lived with the discrepancy in our MT DNA for now 6 months pending the FGS, knowing it was probably a "shadow" but what your head knows does not necessarily dispel anxiety.

Errors do occur. When an error does occur it will throw you off for months or maybe years of wasted time as well as diminish the credibility of the lab.

For all these reasons I have been pretty clear for a while that as anxious as I am to get my results I would rather that they be sure and accurate than fast, even though the process can be quite unsettling.

Yes it takes a while, but this is an "exploding" field that is relatively brand new. The lab is not in control of how many samples comes in and must follow the same protocol for each sample. In 20 years they will have a better understanding of expectable flow, but for now, this process has been available for only, what 8 years max and only now, in part due to the National Gen project, is the general public catching on. How does one forecast workload in these circumstances?

Personally, I am happy that they are overwhelmed. It means more people coming into the system. So few people have taken these tests and posted their results to the database I am dead certain that we do not yet know what all this means. I, for instance, belong to a small group of people colored with a specific haplogroup. Is that because there are few of us left, few of us who have tested, or few of us because we are new? These and other questions will only be answered as more people test and a lab set up to handle last year's flow is going to be stretched to handle next year's almost by definition.

If you think about it, an extra two weeks or an extra three months is not that terrible when you consider that up until this past year you did not have access to this kind of information at all. I hope this little note of mine does not come off too ... well too something. I want my results the day I authorize them if the truth were known. I check my FT DNA page daily. It is compulsive behavior and I am sure Freud would say it has something to do with something, but I empathize with the anxiety, but the tests will come out when they come out and when they do you will be able to move on with assurance that they have been exacting in their approach.

Leave a comment:

• nekocat
    started a topic why botched tests?

why botched tests?

I'm pretty thick headed today, but this doesn't make sense to me. the original tests were fine, why aren't the upgrades, and why is the deep clade taking so long?

these are our pending test remarks for today, when we were due to get the upgrades and deep clade returns.

Deep Clade-R(DCLADE-R) 02/06/2009 286 The Deep Clade tests are performed in a series of rounds to pinpoint your position on the current Y-DNA Haplogroup Tree. Your sample requires more than the average number of rounds to complete this testing process. As each round is completed, those results are added to your Y-DNA Haplotree and Y-DNA DYS Values sections. The next testing round is expected to be complete by this date.

Y-Refine37to67(Y-DNA38-47 Markers) 02/13/2009 286 This test failed to yield results for your sample. Your sample is being rerun now. Results from this round of testing are expected by this date.

Y-Refine37to67(Y-DNA48-60 Markers) 02/13/2009 286 This test failed to yield results for your sample. Your sample is being rerun now. Results from this round of testing are expected by this date.

Y-Refine37to67(Y-DNA61-67 Markers) 02/13/2009 286 This test failed to yield results for your sample. Your sample is being rerun now. Results from this round of testing are expected by this date.
Working...
X