Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • V.R.R
    • Mar 2009

My Dna Tribes and Family Tree Dna results.

Hello! I am from Brazil and would like to share my DNA Tribes and Family Tree Dna results. My scores (of the 21 markers test) were very low. Some of the results were accurate other strangers.
    My top 6.
    Part B:
    (1)Basque (Basque Country, Spain) (0.44) 242.91;
    (2) Strathclyde, Scotland (0.35) 168.31;
    (3) Arab (Morocco) (0.34) 121.48;
    (4) Flemish (Belgium) (0.39) 109.71;
    (5) Flemish (0.43) 87.11;
    (6) Sicilia, Italy (0.41) 76.49;
    Part C:
    (1) Sao Paulo, Brazil (0.5) 295.31;
    (2) Basque (Basque Country, Spain) (0.44) 242.91;
    (3) Hispanic (Connecticut, U.S.A.) (0.61) 225.40;
    (4) Minas Gerais, Brazil (0.48) 224.73;
    (5) Moroccan (Belgium) (0.27) 171.35;
    (6) Strathclyde, Scotland (0.35) 168.31;
    Part D:
    (1) North African (0.36) 95.83;
    (2) Northwest European (0.3) 44.98;
    (3) Mediterranean (0.28) 33.31;
    (4) Levantine (0.32) 29.69;
    (5)Aegean (0.31) 21.08;
    (6) Arabian (0.14) 8.60;

My Dna tribes europe gave me even more low scores. My (poor) Top 3:
    (1) Norse (0.32) 49.09;
    (2) Spanish (0.29) 46.34;
    (3) Celtic (0.29) 45.40;

In my modest knowledge of my genealogy I have no close or distant kinship with north africa; middle east or europe north barbarian (scotts, english, germans...) persons.

My results for Family tree Dna: YDNA (25): R1bb1b2; MTDNA: H (I waiting for the result of the: mtDNARefine(HVR2)).

I tried to contact the Ancestry by dna lab but (to perform they exam) I received no response.

Thats it.

Thank you very much for the attention!

Comment

• rainbow
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Maria_W View Post
      This is my World Region Report from Jan 19, 2008. Forgot to post it...

1. Eastern European: 400.78 (.66) Slavic speaking regions
      2. Northwest European: 320.44 (.56) Celtic and Germanic speaking regions
      3. Finno Ugrian: 290.34 (.59) The Uralic speaking regions
      4. Mediterranean: 92.33 (.44) The romance speaking regions
      5. Aeagen: 11.21 (.21) The eastern Mediterranean and Anatolia region and modern day Turkey, Greece,Italy and Sicily.
      6. North African 8.76 (.13) Atlas Mountains and the Sahara Desert.
      7. Mesopotamiam 3.95 (.11) Iran, Iraq and nearby territorries.
      8. Levatine 1.46 (.5) Populations along the coast of the eastern Mediterranean Sea.

My known ancestry for the last 400 years is: Potowomecke from Colonial Virginia, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, France, Germany and Switzerland.

Maria
      Hi Maria
      I like to compare ours because our ancestry is similar, from the same countries, and have been in the US for hundreds of years, except for my 1/4 Slavic side that came here in the 20th century, and a pair of my great great grandparents who came here in the 19th century from the British Isles. I'm 1/4 Slavic and I have an Eastern European score of only 14.23, but you have no Slavic ancestry and yours is 400.78.
      And I also have a teensy bit of Potowomecke from Colonial Virginia on my mothers side, according to distant cousins that have traced certain lines. We are distant cousins too.

I have a new theory about where my 17% Native American is coming from. Not so new. Maybe my Slavic paternal grandfather wasn't my biological grandfather afterall. So it would be coming from an unknown Native American man and not from my paternal grandmother. But I wonder how. I wonder where my grandmother went on vacation in the summer of 1927, if she went on vacation.
      I think that would certainly make sense, given my overall results. I have a lot of Flemish matches in my top 20 and my paternal grandmothers fathers side had some Dutch ancestry.

It's easier to compare if I put both of ours in the same post.

Part D: World Regions. I have twelve of 1.0 and greater.
      North African (0.32) 65.35
      Mediterranean (0.34) 53.57
      Northwest European (0.3) 44.48
      Levantine (0.37) 40.80
      Aegean (0.39) 37.86
      Mestizo (0.45) 28.41
      Mesopotamian (0.32) 22.85
      Finno-Ugrian (0.26) 19.42
      Eastern European (0.21) 14.23
      North India (0.34) 10.80
      Arabian (0.15) 9.65
      South India (0.07) 1.40
      Last edited by rainbow; 11 March 2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• rainbow
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by V.R.R View Post
        Hello! I am from Brazil and would like to share my DNA Tribes and Family Tree Dna results. My scores (of the 21 markers test) were very low. Some of the results were accurate other strangers.
        My top 6.
        Part B:
        Part C:
        Part D:
        (5)Aegean (0.31) 21.08;
        (6) Arabian (0.14) 8.60;

(1) Norse (0.32) 49.09;
        (3) Celtic (0.29) 45.40;

In my modest knowledge of my genealogy I have no close or distant kinship with north africa; middle east or europe north barbarian (scotts, english, germans...) persons.

My results for Family tree Dna: YDNA (25): R1bb1b2; MTDNA: H (I waiting for the result of the: mtDNARefine(HVR2)).

I tried to contact the Ancestry by dna lab but (to perform they exam) I received no response.

Thats it.

Hi V.R.R.
        Thank you for posting.

AncestryByDna has closed up shop ("suspended operations") and I know of one person on this forum who is trying to get a refund of the test he paid for but hasn't received results. I hope AncestryByDna re-opens. Maybe their dna samples were seized by the FBI? Sorry, my wild imagination running away with me again.

From your DNATribes, I would say that you are part Basque. And that you are part Scottish or Irish. The Flemish matches reflect Dutch. You are from Brazil and I think the Dutch colonized parts of Brazil before the Portuguese, or about the same time. I am part Dutch on my fathers side. One of my Dutch ancestors came to the US in 1650, but I found out he lived in Brazil for a while before coming to the US, or New Amsterdam (present day New York).
        Your result indicates you have Dutch ancestry too, most likely from way back, from the days of colonial Brazil.
        Last edited by rainbow; 11 March 2009, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• katiecarol
          • Jul 2006

Your scores are very low for a 21 marker test .There was a strong dutch presence in brazil http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Brazil which might account for the flemish results.The basque/portuguese sometimes cluster together,so maybe its pointing to a very ancient root for your portuguese/spanish ancestry,who knows.Many british people get neolithic basque matches on dnatribes which would lead me to believe dnatribe results are indicative of very ancient/deep ancestry.

Your 'Native' matches do look very 'british'with the basque/scots scores but as far as I know there wasnt much of a british presence in brazil?

'Native' matches are suppose to refer to 'deep ancestry' only.Native matches are taken from relatively isolated groups that have experienced less admixture/movement than more recent "global areas".With brazil like the US having so much recent admixture I don't think 'native' matches would be found to any clear group - only vague ties as suggested by your low scores.

Your global matches seem correct,dnatribes cull global scores from groups that have experienced more colonisation,recent movement/admixture - global scores are suppose to be indicative of your closest genetic relatives living today - which would be in Brazil.

Perhaps you had a lone scot ancestor,there were some minor scots immigrants to brazil but I doubt that is the connection.More likely some spanish ancestry that is showing affinity with brits.

My top 6.
          Part B:
          Part C:
          Part D:
          (5)Aegean (0.31) 21.08;
          (6) Arabian (0.14) 8.60;

(1) Norse (0.32) 49.09;
          (3) Celtic (0.29) 45.40;

Thats it.

Last edited by katiecarol; 12 March 2009, 04:59 AM.

Comment

• Jim Honeychuck
            • Jun 2006

My top 6.
            Part B:
            Part C:
            Part D:
            (5)Aegean (0.31) 21.08;
            (6) Arabian (0.14) 8.60;

(1) Norse (0.32) 49.09;
            (3) Celtic (0.29) 45.40;

Thats it.

Interesting that none of your top scores are Portuguese, considering that DNA Tribes certainly has Portuguese reference samples:
            Northern Portugal (104)
            Northern Portugal (286)
            Portuguese (100)
            Portuguese (146)
            Portuguese (365)
            Portuguese (78)
            Portuguese (Central Portugal) (100)
            Portuguese (Northern Portugal) (250)
            Portuguese (Azores) (100)

So it looks like you probably do have ancestry somewhere in northwest Europe.

Put your Y-DNA results onto Ysearch and your mtDNA results onto Mitosearch, and see if you have any close matches in northwest Europe.

Regards,
            Jim

Comment

• tomcat
              FTDNA Customer
              • May 2005

Hello! I am from Brazil and would like to share my DNA Tribes and Family Tree Dna results. My scores (of the 21 markers test) were very low....
              Part C:
              Your Global matches seem a fit to your stated ancestry. You can use 10 of your markers for free on an all-European online database: www. str-base.org/

Comment

• katiecarol
                • Jul 2006

It might be helpful to really dig into the family history I had alot of scots scores
                Glagsgow Scotland 321.23
                Dundee Scotland 291.82
                Strathclyde Scotland 197.77

But as all my ancestors were English,with no scottish ancestors ever noted, I thought it was some generic [norse/celt] result,it may still be.But I had a proper look at my paternal family lines tonight and one of my oldest lines is the Sherrat family.The family apparently has been in England since the 14th century but it states that the "first Sherratt" came to England from Scotland and is buried "between or at Elmdon - Burslem in-Staffordshire."
                Burslem is where my Sherrat family came from so they would have been more directly related to this original scottish migrant.Perhaps explaining my scots scores.

Comment

• Deirwha
                  • Jun 2008

Tribes

Please note as I write this I have deliberately not quoted anybody. I am not meaning to take a potshot at anyone or hold anyone's beliefs to ridicule. I am trying a different way of expressing my views about an ethnicity hunting focus to population genetics.

I have not taken a tribes exam.

I have been thinking about this ethnic identity thing for awhile. Those of you who have followed my posts know the ambivalence I have expressed concerning it and the fears I have concerning its place in the work of population genetics.

I would much rather we be comparing our markers with known environmental changes across time than pottery shards, amulets, burial practices, weaponry, and who killed who when. Although I am all for testing the deceased to ground any conclusions about the human journey. I pretty much think climate, diet, elevation, availability of resources, ways in which we made our living, etc. were and are far more significant and decisive in determining which changes in dna survive and prosper and which do not.

That said, ethnicity seems to be the big deal. Just look at all the posts.

So I have decided to decide and declare mine. I may have a tattoo made.

I have decided I am Ethiopian.

I arrived at this conclusion by these criteria: length of time in one general geographic location with appropriate continuity in customs for the longest period of time.

So, first I eliminated competing identities that just weren't competitive. I eliminated my mother's family altogether. T1b. Just too darn ubiquitous, infrequent, and mysterious to get a bead on anyone past 1825. I eliminated my father's Cornish. Only been there 370 years that I can document. I then eliminated the English because whether we came with the wool growers in the 14th century or the Angles, Saxons and Jutes in as early as 414 ce, well, that is only at most 1600 years. Even if that little theory about the Belgae or the tribe, the name of which escapes me, that inhabited and controlled Somerset before the Romans proves correct, we are still at a mere 2600-2700 years.

Ok, then there is the group known as the Saxonase. Not sure the Saxonase were in fact the same as the Saxon, but the Romans and Greeks kinda thought so; and hey, I have one of my higher STR concentrations (at over 1%) in Iran (the Saxonase were Western Iranian Steppe horsemen although no one is exactly sure which of the tribes they were). So, let's give that a whirl. But that at most is 1900-2000 years. Even if you stretch cultural definitions and continuity, oh, just a stretch and add it on to the Saxon period we are talking lest than 6,000 measly years.

Nothing of which I am aware comes close to the 11-15,000 estimated years spent in Ethiopia.

Moreover, the quest for ethnic identity is often described in terms as search for origins and a "homeland." Well if 11-15,000 years in one spot when our ancestors are believed to have first made their appearance as exactly like us doesn't qualify as origins and homeland, what does? Well, ok, maybe I should have opted for the San People and South Africa. Actually, that would be kinda symmetrical. The Afrikaners were Dutch and South Africa is about on the same level with Iran in STR match frequency. Maybe I should rethink this.

No. Wrong direction. Gotta count from an Ethopian beginning some 60,000 years ago. So I have decided. I am an Ethiopian.

My signature will reflect than from now on.

Comment

• V.R.R
                    • Mar 2009

Thank you for answer

very grateful for the response.
                    Too bad the fact that the Ancestry by dna has closed. Does the FBI's intervention means that the United States go back to the eugenics programs? Just kidding (animus jocandi).
                    I made a similar examination in Brazil with percentages (%). It came with to many europe percentage for my taste.
                    I don
                    Last edited by V.R.R; 12 March 2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• V.R.R
                      • Mar 2009

Thank you

[QUOTE=rainbow;143553]Hi V.R.R.
                      Too bad the fact that the Ancestry by dna has closed. Does the FBI's intervention means that the United States go back to the eugenics programs? Just kidding (animus jocandi).
                      I made a similar examination in Brazil with percentages (%). It came with to many europe percentage for my taste.
                      I don

Comment

• V.R.R
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck View Post
                        Interesting that none of your top scores are Portuguese, considering that DNA Tribes certainly has Portuguese reference samples:
                        Northern Portugal (104)
                        Northern Portugal (286)
                        Portuguese (100)
                        Portuguese (146)
                        Portuguese (365)
                        Portuguese (78)
                        Portuguese (Central Portugal) (100)
                        Portuguese (Northern Portugal) (250)
                        Portuguese (Azores) (100)

So it looks like you probably do have ancestry somewhere in northwest Europe.

Put your Y-DNA results onto Ysearch and your mtDNA results onto Mitosearch, and see if you have any close matches in northwest Europe.

Regards,
                        Jim
                        Thank you for your response
                        I still believe that my european ancestors are only latins. In My Y-DNA (25) appeared two correspondences (23 matches): A portuguese and North-American (unfortunable with anglo saxon surname).
                        Best regards

Comment

• rainbow
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Jun 2006

I don

I was only half-joking about FBI intervention. I have no concrete proof of why DNAPrint "suspended operations". "Suspended operations" just sounded so FBI-ish. Or CSI-ish, or something like that. lol

Comment

• rainbow
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Jun 2006

Deirwha, are you gonna start wearing neck rings? I never heard of an Ethiopian with tattoos, but whatever floats your boat.
                            How about Amoebian (amoeba)?

Comment

• rainbow
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Jun 2006

V.R.R., what is your known ancestry?
                              I know you are from Brazil, but are you of only Portuguese descent?
                              You do match your global top match (Brazil).

Comment

• V.R.R
                                • Mar 2009

Raibow my full response

Thank you very much for your response.
                                I think I made a mistake and my response to you was edited.
                                The rest of my message:
                                I do not know if there is another company that makes this test of proportion (%)? I gave a look at Decodeme. Its very interesting, however to expensive.
                                You have knowledge of your older ancestors. 1650 ... Seven generations? Amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X